How To Flash Any PHAT LiteON Drive WITHOUT Buying ANY Equipment

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Firmware Modding Tutorials' started by KawaiiLSD, Jun 28, 2014 with 40 replies and 31,587 views.

1. SE7ENSINS OG

SE7ENSINS OG ☆HOSTER☆

Ratings:
    yeah but... if you want a switch you need to solder iron

• Like Like x 1
  2. Kakashi

Kakashi OG Premium

Ratings:
    I definitely need to do this. I sold my RGH and immediately regretted my decision.

• Like Like x 1
  3. OP
    KawaiiLSD

KawaiiLSD ×Psychedelic Enthusiast×

Ratings:
    not really.. most switches have holes in the prongs where you can just make a temp connection.

4. ramaa12

ramaa12 Newbie

Ratings:
    Hello, I am trying to do this on my MacBook air, running a parallel on Windows XP. is it possible?

5. Moudi

Moudi Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Is he legit??

6. OP
    KawaiiLSD

Ratings:
    HuskerHeaven is very good.

7. Buuckfast

Buuckfast Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I can confirm that this does work, but with the wrong probing device you can easily break your disk drive as i have learned in the past so be careful people!

8. OP
    KawaiiLSD

Ratings:
    as long as its grounded it doesnt matter.

9. oscarandjo

oscarandjo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Just did this today and was successful. I didn't have a simple switch like you so I had to use an old bathroom pull light switch for it - a little fiddly but did the job haha.

To Flash my entire Xbox 360 Phat LiteOn I didn't need to buy any equipment (except the Verbatim DVDs). Quite pleased really.

10. lgr7a

lgr7a Enthusiast

Ratings:
  11. oscarandjo

oscarandjo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Yep! Worked for me. There are a few things that really depend based on your desktop PC setup (like what SATA chipset it has) however for most Intel PCs it should work. Remember you must set your SATA controller mode to ATA rather than AHCI in your BIOS.

As for the probe being handmade, I used a multimeter cable just to short the pin as in the video and it worked fine. The reason the homemade probe works is that it is only needed to short out a certain pin on the DVD motherboard that is normally used to set the DVD drive into firmware writing mode in the factory - this allows you to write firmware to mod it.

In fact, I flashed my LiteOn Xbox 360 phat without spending a penny (except the DVDs)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  12. Jackkillstrick427

Jackkillstrick427 Newbie

Ratings:
  13. OP
    KawaiiLSD

Ratings:
    For those who are interested I found a photo on my phone I took whilst doing this a while ago.
    (I used a 12v toggle switch and that worked fine)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. nicholasbroo

nicholasbroo Knowledge maybe Power, but Respect matters.

Ratings:
    Great tutorial

15. x FuZiioN x

x FuZiioN x I've Been around forever, Kid. Retired

Ratings:
    This Tutorial has been working for years and years.

I actually lost my TX Probe 3 a long time ago. Recently acquired a nice 16MB Jasper w/ a Liteon Drive.

Works like a charm.

The only thing I would recommend is investing in a long SATA cable, because it can be a little flimsy sometimes.

16. Cryptic7s

Cryptic7s Enthusiast

Ratings:
    The probe operates by being able to stop the power on the Xbox 360 drive at the press of a button. If you were to remove that option, you would have to unplug the drive, probe it with your Ground pin, plug it back in then remove the probe when it started the dump. I actually made my own Probe with a Resistor Leg, some wires, an old lamp switch, And a spare Power cable for the drive. Solder a wire to the Resistor leg, and tape round it, before soldering the opposite end of the wire to the ground wire on the power cable, cut the 12v line on the power cable, solder an extra wire to the ends, and wrap it in electrical tape to avoid a short, wire it into the ports on the switch, and then make sure all the connections are good before use with a multimeter.

17. Paloalto

Paloalto Newbie

Ratings:
  18. Tyler Banner

Tyler Banner Newbie

Ratings:
    Is this still available????

19. HuskerHeaven

HuskerHeaven when I took his glass of champagne... Staff

Ratings:
    Not at the moment. Should be back up and running here in a few months.

20. ExoLo392

ExoLo392 Newbie

Ratings:
    for people who are trying to flash xbox 360 liteon drive but is not successful, you can just hotswap if you are trying to play mods. otherwise just ask someone to flash your console.