Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire

Retired Admin 4 Life
VIP
Retired
Diamonds Are Forever Mythical Veteran Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
Learn how to mod your BenQ Xbox 360 drive to read backed up games and still be able to go on to Xbox Live

For an updated version of this tutorial, please visit one of the following:
Firmware mod with x360usb Pro
How to flash all Slim drives
How to firmware mod the BenQ with DosFlash v1.8
How to firmware mod your Xbox 360 with Windows 7 64-bit
How to Flash a BenQ Xbox 360​
written by Venomous Fire

How to tell what drive you have
Remove your 360 faceplate, you should now see something similar to this.
emergencyeject3%20003a.jpg

Look at hole#3, you should see one of these three things:
Circuit board and red wire= Samsung
360dvdhole%20007.jpg

Black plastic divot = Hitachi
360dvdhole%20005.jpg

White wires and empty space = Benq THIS IS THE DRIVE THIS TUT IS FOR
benqfj5.jpg

If it looks like the BenQ but with a Yellow wire, it is a Lite-On
Requirements

What you need:
1.A BenQ drive *duh!!!*

2.DosFlash 1.3b
Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/126896037/DosFlash.rar

3.Your iXtreme Firmware files get these off Xbins and PATCH THEM TO YOUR FIRMWARE.... putting these on your drive without your drive key will result in a non working drive
AUTO-XBINS:
Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/195340033/AutoXbins2008_Venomous_Fire.rar

4.PCI Sata card with VIA6421 chipset *you can find them off Ebay* that specific chipset isnt needed per se, BUT you DO want either VIA or NFORCE, or else it wont work.

5.USB flash drive

6.HP boot disk maker -
Code:
http://www.zshare.net/download/458271232ede9e/

7.Windows 98 boot files
Code:
 http://www.zshare.net/download/4582738b99e128/

8.The tools to open your 360!!!

Tutorial

Step 1:
Make your USB boot disk using the HP boot program and the windows 98 files
hppictr7.jpg

You can also make a boot disk with a floppy disc, but it isn’t as reliable, so I wont go into it
Copy the contents from the DosFlash 16 folder into your root directory of the flash drive
Before you go any further, write down the port number for the first port of your Sata card, it will be the first port number in your device manager for it.

Step 2:
Open your 360 using any available guides, or contact me and I will walk you through it if you want personalized help

Step 3:
Power down your computer and connect the 360 drive to the first port on your sata card *On a PCI card this port is labeled 1 and is the one on the opposite end of the outside of the PCI slot*
Touch the metal cases of the 360 and computer to make sure it is grounded
connectionzm6.jpg

Unplug all IDE and SATA cables from your computer other than the one going into your 360 to ensure you don’t accidentally flash another item

Step 4:
Connect your USB drive and then, Boot up your computer and go into the boot menu, and boot from the USB drive.
Make sure your 360 has the cables plugged in, but AV doesnt have to go anywhere

When you get into dos it should look something like this:
dos1py4.jpg

Run the DosFlash command to read the original firmware
DosFlash r (port #) 1 a0 1 4 c:/orig.bin 0
Note, you might need to use drive A, mine uses C, but the person who took the pictures needed A, just try C, and if that doesn’t write correctly, use A
Answer Y to the next question

Prop your 360 faceplate like it was on the 360, and turn on the 360 for 5 seconds, if it doesn’t begin reading, turn it off for 5 seconds, then turn it on and repeat until it reads the firmware, might take 5+ tries
Turn off computer and 360 and plug your IDE/Sata cables back in, and boot back into xp[/FONT]

Step 5:
Find the firmware file on your USB drive, it will be called *Orig.bin* Make sure this file is 256kb..If its any smaller or any larger go re-read the firmware until you get a 256kb sized one. Back it up, now back it up in a new folder, then back it up in anther folder, then upload it to rapidshare, then put it onto another computer…You get the idea? MAKE SURE YOU NEVER LOSE THAT FILE
To make your iXtreme firmware follow this tutorial.

http://www.se7ensins...g-firmtool.html

Make sure to put ix15.bin on the root of your usb drive

Turn off your computer and get it set u for the 360 again *unplug IDE/Sata cables and hook 360 into the sata card, then boot off your USB drive again

Run the erase command for DosFlash,
C:>DosFlash e (port #) 1 a0 1 4 D8 0
dos4wr7.jpg

Answer Y to the question, and then power the 360 on for 5 seconds, and if it doesn’t begin erasing turn it off, wait, and turn it back on, it should erase after like, 2-3 tried max

Shut down 360 and computer, and reboot computer into Dos again

Use the command to write your firmware C:>DosFlash w (port #) 1 a0 1 4 c:/ix15.bin 0 remember the ix14.bin will be ix15.bin if you are using iXtreme 1.5 which you SHOULD be using

Answer Y to the next question and turn on the 360, it should write on the first try, but shuldnt take more than 3 ever, if it does, shut off computer, check connections, and try again.

Shut down computer and 360
Disconnect 360 from computer and reconnect all original computer connections
Re-assemble computer and 360
Plug 360 into your TV and turn it on, insert a backup and enjoy

If the file does not have a link, odds are it is on Xbins

Need a cheap xbox opening kit? Go to radioshack, I got mine there, it’s a full on toolkil that has skinny screwdrivers for popping open the case clips and the torx screwdrivers to open almost any system lol, it’s the perfect toolkit and was only $12, about � the price of a 360 opening kit.

Credit:

Pictures: I don’t know, if you are the owner of the pictures, contact me and I will edit you in if you can prove to me they are yours

Drive pictures: Llamma.com

Did you like this tutorial? Hit thanks and hit nominate!

Last edited by a moderator:
UnknowingAcorn

UnknowingAcorn

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Nice tut easy to follow :smile:
you should at least say got it from xbox scene or where ever you got it from so theres at least some credit lol

Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire

Retired Admin 4 Life
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Thats the thing Acorn, I wrote it myself, the pictures were from a tut that had no credit that was fairly hard to follow, so like I said in the credits, if someone can prove who the pictures are from I will edit them in

Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire

Retired Admin 4 Life
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
if you see any spelling errors let me know..I think I forgot to run it through Spellcheck lol

B

Butterscanfly

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i should make a funny tut on how to flash a dvd drive like the one i made how to burn xbox 360 games lol

Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire

Retired Admin 4 Life
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
lol Kwik, its actually fairly simple, as long as you can at least know your way around a 360, and a keyboard

Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire

Retired Admin 4 Life
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
bah, thnx for pointing that out.....every time I edit the post it does that thanks to firefox -_-

Fixed

I

imtiazahmed

Reaction score
Sin$
Can anyone tell me how to find port number???
I dont have extra sata card its built in to my Mobo, and it supported by latest dosflash (ICH8R)

well i think i get my port address but its my 15th attempt to get access to read the FW no luck still trying

rite now situation is i am using dosflash and when i press Y to read the FW status code shows randomly 0xd1 0x51, but after 5/10 attempts it should show 0x73 i am not getting anything like that after 50th attempt. any idea what to do?

Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire

Retired Admin 4 Life
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
If it doesnt read that means the port number you entered was wrong, and you shouldnt have tried until you had the right port number lol, you might have ended up flashing something else.

I pmed you, but here it is again

Control panel > Hardware > Device Manager > find Sata card > the first port number is the number for port number 1

I

imtiazahmed

Reaction score
Sin$
Venomous fire said:
If it doesnt read that means the port number you entered was wrong, and you shouldnt have tried until you had the right port number lol, you might have ended up flashing something else.

I pmed you, but here it is again

Control panel > Hardware > Device Manager > find Sata card > the first port number is the number for port number 1

I dont have Sata card venomous. i am using my mobo builtin sata which is ICH8 and this chipset supported by Dosflash 1.4 , but i am not sure may be i need a card :S

Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire

Retired Admin 4 Life
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
then find your Onboard Sata, I just call it a Sata card because thats what 99% of people use, its the same process

I

imtiazahmed

Reaction score
Sin$
Venomous fire said:
then find your Onboard Sata, I just call it a Sata card because thats what 99% of people use, its the same process
I did found the port...not the way you told me cause i couldnt find anything like that, but when you type dosflash and enter if your benq is not powered on it show all the available ports and says no device connected, so note down the port from there. and this onboard sata is not working for me just 0xD1 0x51 , when i power off only 0xD1. but no luck yet to see 0x73. do i have to buy VIA PCI SATA???

Venomous Fire

Venomous Fire

Retired Admin 4 Life
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
yes, just buy a PCI Sata card, that way you can be assured it will work and it will work with every drive, they are only like, $10 shipped

P

Poison

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I have a BenQ drive, but I'm just too scared of flashing my 360, heh. I already have incredible paranoia of the red ring as it is.

Top Bottom
Login
Register