• Views 101,445
E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Here you can learn how to use DosFlash 1.8 to flash your Xbox 360 Benq drive to play backups.

Requirements
Xbox 360 Benq Drive
USB Drive
VIA Sata Card with Chipset 6421 or a compatible mobo chipset. Which I believe are the nforce chipsets and some intel.

How to open your tray halfway!
http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/fir...09-manually-open-your-xbox-360-dvd-drive.html

Here is the download for everything that will be used in this tutorial.
Includes:
DosFlash
Jungleflasher
HP Boot-disk Maker
Windows 98 Boot files
Benq Ixtreme1.6 Firmware
Code:
http://rapidshare.com/files/289185406/Benq_Tutorial_Download.rar
Alright now we can get started. First thing to do is to make your USB drive able to boot upon startup. So here is a part of Venemous Fire's tutorial showing how the program should look.
Venomous Fire said:

Step 1:
Make your USB boot disk using the HP boot program and the windows 98 files
hppictr7.jpg

Now That your USB drive is Bootable. Place the Windows98 Folder in the root of the drive along with the contents of the DosFlash folder(Do not place the DosFlash folder itself, place only whats inside.)
So your USB drive should look like this now.
usb.jpg

Now since you have your USB Drive ready to go its time to move onto the flashing part.

***Have your Benq Tray Halfway Open***

1. First off connect your drive and everything. You can use either a connectivity kit or power with your 360. Here is what mine looks like set up.
DSCN1942.jpg

2. Now that you have your drive connected its time to boot into DosFlash. Disconnect your harddrive or harddrives if you have more than one and plug in the USB drive. Turn on your computer and it will boot into Windows 98 Dos.

3. On the opening screen you are going to type.
Code:
DosFlash
DSCN1943.jpg

4. Hit enter and you will be shown a list of devices along with #'s on the left to identify them. Mine is #6 as shown in this picture.
*Note that if you are using a 360 to power the drive it may come up with MTKFLASH failed. It will ask if you want to resend the command until it responds. Type y for yes and click enter and power cycle the drive. When it respond it will move on*
DSCN1944.jpg

5. So see which one is your benq drive, and type in the number for it. So mine is 6 so i will type 6. As shown here.
DSCN1945.jpg

6. If done right you will be shown this.
DSCN1946.jpg

7. Now its time to read the firmware from the drive. So type in R for read. Then it will ask what you want to name it. Just name it:
Code:
orig.bin
DSCN1947.jpg

8. If done right you will be shown this.
DSCN1948.jpg

This is a VERY IMPORTANT FILE! Do not loose it. Store it everywhere. Upload it, put it on another computer, put it in a couple of places, put it on a usb drive. Im sure you get the point now. Just do not loose this file!!

9. Now we are going back into windows to make the firmware with jungleflasher. So open jungleflasher and on the main screen click "Open Source firmware" and select your orig.bin.
2.jpg

3.jpg

10. Now click the Open Target firmware button and select the Benq Ixtreme1.6 firmware.
*Note mine says that the type is Ixtreme1.6 already because i used a flashed 360 to make this tutorial. Yours will say stock if it is not flashed.*
4.jpg

11. Now click the Spoof Source to target button.
5.jpg

12. Then click the Save to harddrive button. It should default as Benq_CFW.bin. Do not change the name leave it alone. When saved put it in the root of your USB Drive and turn off your pc.
6.jpg

13. Now its time to go back into DosFlash. So unplug your harddrive or harddrives again and plug in the usb drive.

14. Type in DosFlash again and type the number of your drive just like you did in step 5. This time instead of Reading we are erasing. So type E for erase and you will end up with this.
DSCN1949.jpg

Now type DosFlash again and type the number of your drive just like you did in the last step. This time we are going to flash the drive with the firmware. So type W for write. Then type in the firmware name which is:
Code:
Benq_CFW.bin
DSCN1950.jpg

Then Hit enter and it will start to write. Once its done it should look like this.
DSCN1951.jpg

Last step. Power down your pc and disconnect and connect the drive to your 360 and test.

You now have a Xbox 360 Benq Drive flashed with Ixtreme1.6.

Hit the thanks bar and nominate if helped.:biggrin:

G

Golfrichie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
great tutorial! but do you really need the DVD drive half open? i flashed my BenQ a couple days ago and did not have to half open it.

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Its best to have it halfway open. When it does the Vendor intro. If the drive is not halfway open the Vendor intro will fail sometimes. So its just best to have it halfway open so the vendor intro won't have any problems.

T

Twis7eD

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
Great tutorial. Just a little late for me.

One question though. When you say that you have to enter your drive number, how do you know what your drive number is?

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Look at step 6 and 7. On the left side there are numbers right next the numbers are ports.

Look at the number 6 in my picture. Shows what type of drive it is ATA and then it starts giving out information on the drive.

VAD6038-64930 is the model that is given(Benq).
Then also if you know your port number then you can just look at the numbers and right next to them are the port numbers. Knowing your port number is not necessary in this tutorial though.

Usually your 360 drive will be one of the last if not the last drive that comes up when you type dosflash. Also a dead give away is if your drive does the MTKFLASH failed on port.... Then you just type y and hit enter and power cycle the drive.

J

jtjordan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
on the last step (where you write) your data sum is 8742 but mine ended up as 914C. does that matter?

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
No it doesn't matter. Test and see if it works. If not remake the firmware and flash again. But i have gotten different data sum's before it should not matter at all.

B

Bigbird77

Reaction score
Sin$
Hi all. Very informative tutorial. My question is if the Benq drive you have is totally dead (doesn't eject and no movement from laser what so ever). Can this tutorial still work with it? I am assuming not? Problem is I got a 360 for free and I am trying to fix it. I read about swaping the chip with a new benq drive.

Is it possible to give the drive enough juice to get the key from it? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Victor

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Yes you should be able to read the firmware still. Unless the pcb board is completely dead. Either way its worth a shot. So i say go for it. If the 360 you received for free hasnt been updated past August 10th 2009 then if the drive is completely dead and you cant get the key from it. You can use the jtag exploit to get the key from the motherboard. A lot more complicated than flashing but it will save the 360.

F

Frozen Pixel

Reaction score
Sin$
ok, i tryed this and EVERY other way. i still cant find my drive.
i have an acer laptop running windows vista 32 and im tying to flash a benq
i have a Via VT6421 RAID controller. i have deleted the drives installed PortIO
still nothing i think i have tryed everything.

when i look at jungle flasher it shows the device... but if i click only via it says none found.
can you help me?

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Are you sure that your plugging into the right sata connection? If you click VIA only then it cancels out all other chipsets, so if your drive is connected it should show. If not then im sure its safe to say you dont have a VIA chipset.

Also don't delete your VIA drivers. I have NEVER EVER disabled/deleted my drivers and i flash 360's all the time. With absolutely no problems. Installed your VIA drivers again and try.

DoC ReapeR

DoC ReapeR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok, noobish question.. how do you get the tray to be half open :huh: .. (new-ish to flashing.. mind you)

Thanks ahead of time Eclipse :thumbup:

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Look at the liteon tutorial in my sig. It shows how to do it

DoC ReapeR

DoC ReapeR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Oh alright >.> geez send me link to link why don't ya lol... Thanks again mate! :thumbup:

D

d1nk3r

Reaction score
Sin$
hello i just used this tut to flash my benq and everything goes fine, success all way through , untill i put the drive back in the 360 and turn it on, i get a e65 error... why is this? thanks for any help!

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Bad flash.

Remake your modded firmware and flash it to the drive again.

D

delbocavista

Reaction score
Sin$
hi, can i use this to flash my samsung hard drive using extreme 1.61 firmware, because i used the iprep version but it keeps saying MTK vendor failed.

NFLD_BULLET93

NFLD_BULLET93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i dont have a via chipset i got a intel(R) 82801GR/GH SATA RAID Controller
can i still flash?? because my drive will never read

Top Bottom
Login
Register