What's new

Tutorial How to Fix E-74 Error and RRoD (Red Ring of Death)

• Thread starter vvSTRIDEvv
  • Start date
  • Views 123,130
vvSTRIDEvv

vvSTRIDEvv

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
public enemy said:
what are the odds of it actually working?

All depends on the odds of you being able to do it.

vvSTRIDEvv

vvSTRIDEvv

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
There you go. When it's too tight it red rings, too loose and overheat/E74,need to get it just right. If after a few tweaks it doesn't go...reflow.

F

Furieux

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
This tuts works....

But don't expect this to fix your xbox forever.

I did the fix, it works, but after 1 month of use, i got the 3 rrod again and was never able to refix it !

dev kit, ehat are your secondary error code ?

X

xavi17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
why do we really need to drill the holes? If so why are they recommended and what defference does it do?

Dev Kit

Dev Kit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Furieux said:
This tuts works....

But don't expect this to fix your xbox forever.

I did the fix, it works, but after 1 month of use, i got the 3 rrod again and was never able to refix it !

dev kit, ehat are your secondary error code ?
0031 (not yet known)

T

thenewbigmack

Reaction score
Sin$
I have my box freezing up and got 4 rings for the first time yesterday. Followed the tut today exactly and haven't got it fixed yet. I instantly got 3 rings no matter how tight or loose it was. The heatsinks wouldn't heat up at all either. do i need to heat up my motherboard with a heatgun? or is there something else i need to try? Thanks for this awesome tut!

also, when i hook up the first heat sink and turn it on, i get 3 red lights instead of just 2 like the tut shows. I think i need to use the heat gun, but i'm wondering if there is something else wrong also. thanks again

slimwadey

slimwadey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
OK i will be trying this at the weekend, i have the console apart and have cleaned most of the old paste off , horrible sticky stuff, i need to buy some paste and screws etc
Q1. the youtube video shows the heatgun business, what exactly is this supposed to acomplish ? to heat the soldered connections on the board so they kinda auto resolder?, if this is the case surely you need to get the board really hot to be able to do this.
is it advisable ?
Q2. he does not show both heatsinks off when using heatgun should i have them both off and heat both chips when i do this
Q3. can i use a foam sticky pad (i have some )
Q3. what do the plastic washers do, i am guessing the offer a way to adjust torque as they will compress
Q4. is there a specified torque setting for these heatsinks ? if i could make an alternative clamp i would need to know just how many PSI or NM's need apply to do the job

Last one !!!
How does this fix compare with the other fix about, the one with just the bolts and paste

Sorry for the questions but i am new to xbox repairs and modifiying , coming from an engineering background i just need decent methods and i can do the rest !
Thanks
Steve

Top Bottom
Login
Register