What's new

Tutorial How to Fix E-74 Error and RRoD (Red Ring of Death)

  • Thread starter vvSTRIDEvv
  • Start date
  • Views 116,554
I

IxI_DILL_IxI

Enthusiast
Messages
52
Reaction score
1
not sure i bought it with e74....to try to fix. I guess ill go rip it apart again and try it all over ;p
 
F

Furieux

Enthusiast
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
FINALLY IT WORKED !!!

Thanks a lot for this great tut man you are awesome !!

Just one thing i didn't understand by the way... Why did you put washer inside the motherboard ? It was useless to me since there's too much of a gap between the heatsink and the motherboard. The only useful washer for me were the plastic one to sit the motherboard and the one on the outside to keep the screw tight.

What i want to know, is what do i have to do if it's happen again... and do your metal case fit in your xbox shell even with the screw ?
 
V

vvSTRIDEvv

Retired
Retired
Messages
2,247
Reaction score
1,206
Furieux said:
FINALLY IT WORKED !!!

Thanks a lot for this great tut man you are awesome !!

Just one thing i didn't understand by the way... Why did you put washer inside the motherboard ? It was useless to me since there's too much of a gap between the heatsink and the motherboard. The only useful washer for me were the plastic one to sit the motherboard and the one on the outside to keep the screw tight.

What i want to know, is what do i have to do if it's happen again... and do your metal case fit in your xbox shell even with the screw ?
I use the plastic one inside as a guide, it's where i stop torquing when it just touches the washer. Yes you can still fit in case, but I hate opening the cases, so just sit it on the bottom of the case with the top and right side off. If it happens again, loosen the gfx heat sink, turn on, 2 reds, tighten heat sink back down, that's it.
 
F

Furieux

Enthusiast
Messages
57
Reaction score
3
So easy man ! You're the greatest !
 
E

Elad Nava

Newbie
Messages
1
Reaction score
1
I want to say ty for this tutorial, I had E74 for 1.5 years only now got around to fixing it, what I did was I bought Arctic Silver 5 spread it on the GPU/CPU but before that I reheated the board with a hairdryer.

Also I cleaned out all the dust in the fan and in the case (wasn't so much anyway)

Took some tries to get it to work, it also kept giving me Overheat after 10 seconds of turn on probably because I haven't put enough arctic silver, so then I opened it again and put some more arctic silver and it's been working solid since then!

One strange thing though is that when I turned on my Xbox and started playing then after like 3 minutes I got those grainy ****s that immediately follow by E74 error, but I kept playing and then it disappeared!!! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Now Xbox is working great so far I don't know how long it will last, but I haven't done any X-Clamp fix so if it breaks down again I'll do the fix.
 
V

vvSTRIDEvv

Retired
Retired
Messages
2,247
Reaction score
1,206
As info: I did 20 of these last week for people on Craigslist and made $600.00!! I've done 6 so far this week. Nice way to make some extra cash.
 
I

iAmN1ck

Enthusiast
Messages
94
Reaction score
3
Today I finally got all my parts for this fix and I'm drilling the holes in the chassis and man is it hard (at least for me it is).

Edit: when I have the GPU heatsink off I get the 2 flashing lights but right when I put it on it gives me 3. And what do you mean by torque the screw 1/4th a turn.
 
V

vvSTRIDEvv

Retired
Retired
Messages
2,247
Reaction score
1,206
If your going to 3 red after you put in the GPU heat sink, it is probably too tight, loosen it up a little in doing so you will be providing 'less torque'. Getting it just right can be tricky sometimes.
 
I

iAmN1ck

Enthusiast
Messages
94
Reaction score
3
Thanks, I just loosened them about 3/4ths a turn and it works now. Just made $45 off a 1 red light and $40 off 3 red light.

Oh and the M5 .8 x 12 mm screws just barely fit into the CPU heat sink you may want to get just a little longer ones cause I had a hard time threading them through the holes cause they were too short.
 
X

xD Mike

Enthusiast
Messages
99
Reaction score
34
I've tried many tuts and none of them have worked (error 1022). But thanks anyways!
 
B

bungi

Enthusiast
Messages
182
Reaction score
3
I repair 360, any error, and I use the best tools and methods out there to make sure your 360 is repaired. I don't do the xclamp trick, overheating, or penny trick. The xclamp trick if it works won't work for long, think about it, you have now a huge ammount of pressure pussing on the the gpu and/or cpu. This causes flexing so soon the 360 will have problems, and also if your 360 is older the metal case isn't even and that also causes flexing. The penny trick does more harm then good because if it works it flexes the board a huge ammount and won't even work long. Then overheating gets your 360 well over 100C, they claim it melts the solder, but it doesn't. Lead free solder in the 360 melts at atleast 217C and overheating does well over 100C but not enough to melt it, plus the cumpassitors on the 360 have a max opperationg temp of 105C so it kills everything and really doesn't do anything.

I only charge $35 +return shipping and thats for any error. Also you don't have to pay a cent until your 360 gets fixed. :thumbup:
So for more info my aim is itemcentral
my email is [email protected]
or visit http://xbox360smartrepairs.webs.com

Btw for free I will even paint ur case if desired and I have elite color paint that deals with the heat and will help cooling
I also do case mods for a small ammount
 
S

STRATEGIZER

Getting There
Messages
1,751
Reaction score
425
bungi said:
I repair 360, any error, and I use the best tools and methods out there to make sure your 360 is repaired. I don't do the xclamp trick, overheating, or penny trick. The xclamp trick if it works won't work for long, think about it, you have now a huge ammount of pressure pussing on the the gpu and/or cpu. This causes flexing so soon the 360 will have problems, and also if your 360 is older the metal case isn't even and that also causes flexing. The penny trick does more harm then good because if it works it flexes the board a huge ammount and won't even work long. Then overheating gets your 360 well over 100C, they claim it melts the solder, but it doesn't. Lead free solder in the 360 melts at atleast 217C and overheating does well over 100C but not enough to melt it, plus the cumpassitors on the 360 have a max opperationg temp of 105C so it kills everything and really doesn't do anything.

I only charge $35 +return shipping and thats for any error. Also you don't have to pay a cent until your 360 gets fixed. :thumbup:
So for more info my aim is itemcentral
my email is [email protected]
or visit http://xbox360smartrepairs.webs.com

Btw for free I will even paint ur case if desired and I have elite color paint that deals with the heat and will help cooling
I also do case mods for a small ammount
please stop advertising on everyone's thread. make your own thread & if anyone wants your service they will ask for it. ok :cursing:
 
V

vvSTRIDEvv

Retired
Retired
Messages
2,247
Reaction score
1,206
iAmN1ck said:
Thanks, I just loosened them about 3/4ths a turn and it works now. Just made $45 off a 1 red light and $40 off 3 red light.

Oh and the M5 .8 x 12 mm screws just barely fit into the CPU heat sink you may want to get just a little longer ones cause I had a hard time threading them through the holes cause they were too short.
Ya, I think I actually use the 16mm ones, changed OP.
 
K

KillaZinga

Newbie
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Great tutorial, I've fixed this error before but I like your method better
 
E

efxonly1

Newbie
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Just followed this tutorial (exactly) and it fixed my e-74 error on the first try. Thank you very much for putting this tutorial together for others to use.:thumbup:
 
X

xTheocracy

Enthusiast
Messages
46
Reaction score
1
I think I will be using this in the near future.

Earlier today I had the E74 Error but I turned it off and back on and it went away am I to expect the E74 permanently?
 
M

Machine15825

Enthusiast
Messages
50
Reaction score
4
It'll probably come back yeah. I would do the fix and hopefully you won't get it again..
 
A

AKIMBO BUNNYZ

Enthusiast
Messages
442
Reaction score
10
ok i fixed my 360 with the rrod fix and it did red ring again and when i tried to fix it again it did 3 red lites and wouldnt work.so i took it apart and put it back together and it only shows 1 red lite like it did at the beggining.anyone have any advice to fixing it
 
P

public enemy

Enthusiast
Messages
342
Reaction score
20
what are the odds of it actually working?
 
Top Bottom