What's new

Solved How to fix a jammed disk tray (Phat Xbox)

• Thread starter Exotonics
  • Start date
  • Views 756
E

Exotonics

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello guys i bought a Xbox a few days ago where it wasn't reading games well so I fixed that now the disk tray gets jammed I have tryed taking it out moving the gears into the proper spot and putting it back in that maybe worked for 1-2 hours then poof it was stuck again Im thinking of taking it apart and putting some vasilne on the gears and the teeth underneath the acutal disk tray because I don't have grease or WD-40 should I do that or is there anything else I could do? Thanks!

C

Chuckemz

Jedi Sensei
Reaction score
did you try replacing the rubber band that moves the gears

L

Life

Graphics Are Life
Reaction score
As stupid as this sounds I have the same problem I just bang on the top and it unsticks and opens for me.

7S Dynomonkey

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello guys i bought a Xbox a few days ago where it wasn't reading games well so I fixed that now the disk tray gets jammed I have tryed taking it out moving the gears into the proper spot and putting it back in that maybe worked for 1-2 hours then poof it was stuck again Im thinking of taking it apart and putting some vasilne on the gears and the teeth underneath the acutal disk tray because I don't have grease or WD-40 should I do that or is there anything else I could do? Thanks!

This is caused by the rubber band getting dirty and dusty in most cases. You can take out the rubber band from the dvd drive and either replace it or clean it for a permenant fix. I cleaned mine and my dvd drive is 100% smooth now. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube if you wanna do this, and you can even do it without taking the console apart.

E

Exotonics

Enthusiast
Reaction score
did you try replacing the rubber band that moves the gears
This is caused by the rubber band getting dirty and dusty in most cases. You can take out the rubber band from the dvd drive and either replace it or clean it for a permenant fix. I cleaned mine and my dvd drive is 100% smooth now. There are plenty of tutorials on youtube if you wanna do this, and you can even do it without taking the console apart.
Thanks guys i forgot to mention i took it off and rubbed it in a paper towel this time i used a q tip with some rubbing alcohol and cleaned it then dried it off with another qtip it now works great! didn't even have to replace it thanks for both the suggestions thought!! 
As stupid as this sounds I have the same problem I just bang on the top and it unsticks and opens for me.
if i where you dude i would look into fixing it because overtime your xbox disc tray wont work with that method and it will just mess it up and you will have to buy a new xbox or disc tray whatever you want disk tray would be cheaper but if your not to tech savy then replacing it or buying a new xbox would be a bit easier or even getting someone to fix it if i where you i would look into fixing it banging on it really messes it up thanks for the tip thought!

L

Life

Graphics Are Life
Reaction score
Thanks guys i forgot to mention i took it off and rubbed it in a paper towel this time i used a q tip with some rubbing alcohol and cleaned it then dried it off with another qtip it now works great! didn't even have to replace it thanks for both the suggestions thought!! 

if i where you dude i would look into fixing it because overtime your xbox disc tray wont work with that method and it will just mess it up and you will have to buy a new xbox or disc tray whatever you want disk tray would be cheaper but if your not to tech savy then replacing it or buying a new xbox would be a bit easier or even getting someone to fix it if i where you i would look into fixing it banging on it really messes it up thanks for the tip thought!
Well I've sold it long gone so only have a 1 and I don't deal with that trouble at all now.

A

Adamgm10

The Kid
Reaction score
My old Jasper still does that. Tap on the side and it'll open or the easier way is to just keep a disc in it at all times because for some reason with all my PHAT 360's if there's a disc in the tray it'll always open up just fine.

Top Bottom