Tutorial How to fix 99% of Xbox 360 STUCK UPDATING errors

Ells

Ells

#yoloswag
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
This is a simple tutorial, and will involve you having some knowledge and equipment. If you don't have the equipment available and are UK/EU based, let me know and I can sort this out for you.

A handy link I found on google with various XBOX USB UPDATES on;
http://files.xploid.ru/

This will help you fix errors such as;
*Cannot read update from disc
*Cannot read update from Hard Drive / HDD
* 3*** 3*** b480 0402 c000 0058

Firstly you are going to need the Windows Calculator or Google. Convert the second set of numbers from HEX to DECIMAL. For example 3524 converts to 13604, or the dashboard that your console is stuck updating to.

Now if it can't read the update from the HDD, then you are going to need 2 things.
1) USB stick with the required update on.
2) A HDD with at least 300mb of space, or an Xbox formatted memory stick.

Insert the USB stick with the update onto it on it's root (that means it will be like F:/$SystemUpdate/) after the error has occurred and it will simply process and install if enough space is available. DONE. (Note this will error if your drive is spoofed/flashed, so you'll have to have it on stock FW).

If it can't read the update from the DISC then you're going to need some other stuff.
1) Someone or the required equipment to flash your DVD drive to stock.
2) The disc used in the console when updating, or
3) The update on a USB stick.

Firstly, flash your drive back to stock and insert a disc with the required update on it. If this is a problem (ie you don't have it) then you can flash the drive to LT3.0 and place a copy of the disc in, or a disc with similar update on also). Once on LT3.0 the update will detect your drive has been updated and so will skip over the part of that update, as well as reading the update from your disc!

The update can also be done from a USB stick if you have it, just follow the steps above but make sure your drive is already on the correct flashed FW or updated stock.

Any questions please ask, I've fixed tons of these xboxs and would be happy to share any knowledge I have.

Garretts228

Garretts228

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
So is the point of converting those number to hex to get the dash version it is trying to update to, so you can download the same version?

C

crywin

Reaction score
Sin$
I signed up just to say thanks, this is the only way I was able to fix my problem. I tried clearing the HDD cache with another 360, holding the sync button and booting, checking the sata/power cables on the DVD drive, tried the latest update on CD and USB, tried installing the update from different game discs.

My code was 4099 I believe, or whichever one corresponded to update 16537. Put it on a USB and updated no problem!

D

dave7219

Reaction score
Sin$
5 years later and this is still a very valuable thread. Thank you very much to Ells.
My XBOX 360 had become a brick and was on its way to electronics recycling. Thanks to this thread I realized the 4171 code corresponded to update 16756. A google search for "SystemUpdate_16756_CD" did the trick. Note however that I was unable to get the USB version working for some reason. I had to burn an old-fashioned DVD and use it to update the software. After getting the brick into a usable XBOX 360, the system took over and self-updated over the internet to the correct latest version.

W

Waqas khan

Reaction score
Sin$
i get this error when i turn on my xbox system updat failed even if i put every hard drive i have in the xbox is says this message how I fix it

Last edited:
T

tony359

Reaction score
Sin$
Just registered to say THANK YOU, I managed to unbrick an XBOX which was stuck on the failed update screen!

Top Bottom
Login
Register