AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Platinum Record A Milli Tutorial Creator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
This tutorial shows users how to modify or "hack" their Xbox 360's firmware using Windows 64-bit (x64) OS. This guide has been confirmed using a BenQ and a Samsung. Hitachi's and Lite-on tutorials are linked below.

How to Firmware Hack / Mod your Xbox 360's BenQ or Samsung Drives
Written by AzzidReign​

Figure out what drive you have:
xbox360dvdmodelid.jpg

/*****
NOTE: This tutorial can work on any Windows operating system but I labeled it specifically for Windows 64-bit due to the fact everyone is upgrading x64 OS and everyone is saying it's not possible. Since writing this tutorial now, JungleFlasher has added x64 support so if this tutorial doesn't work, try the new JF. I will note where you can skip if you have a 32-bit OS.
/*****

Requirements
Open your Xbox with the 360 Opening tool:

Open your Xbox without the 360 Opening tool:

Removing your VIA card's Drivers
You can first try to skip this part but if you can't get your computer to read your 360 drive, then come back and follow these steps.
1. Disable your VIA card using your Device Manager.
2. Go to C:\WINDOWS\System32\drivers and rename "viamraid.sys" or "vsmraid.sys" to "viamraid.sys1" or "vsmraid.sys1" so your computer can't recognize them.
3. Re-enable your VIA card.
4. Shut down your PC.

Getting this all to work
Through my experiences, I've noticed I've had to do something that I would have thought didn't matter, but I proved myself wrong today. Make sure you unplug any SATA DVD drive that you may have hooked up to your PC. Even though you may have disabled it (or DosFlash disables it) in the device manager, for some reason my PC couldn't detect my 360 until I actually unplugged the SATA cable.

Getting DosFlash v2.0 drivers to work on Windows x64:
If you don't have a 64-bit OS, you can skip to the next section. If I'm reading things correctly, if you do have a 32bit OS from Win7 or higher, you may still have to do these steps. In that case, be sure to sign the portio32.sys if you are running 32-bit.
1. Open up dseo13b.exe (download in the requirements). Right-click and "Run as Administrator".
2. Keep clicking "Next" and/or "Accept" until you get to this screen:
dseo1.jpg

3. Like the picture above, click "Enable Test Mode", then click next. A pop up will appear, click OK:
dseo2.jpg

4. Then click "Sign a System File" and click next:
dseo3.jpg

5. There is no browse button so go to the folder (outside the program) and navigate to where the dosflash folder is. Copy the directory over and then you'll have to type "\portio64.sys" at the end of it. Should look similar to this:
dseo4.jpg

6. Now you'll have to restart your computer. When you reboot, you should see this in your bottom right hand corner:
testing.jpg

If you do then you are good to go on to the next steps.

While this is showing Windows 7, the same process can be used in any Windows above it. With Windows Vista, you may have to go to Start > Run and type the command below.

Open your start menu and under All programs there is the search bar; Windows 10, click the Search bar/Cortana bar. Type in:
Code:
hdwwiz.exe
Pic1.png

It's going to give you a welcome message. Click next.
Pic2.png

Then it will ask what you want the wizard to do. Select Search and install hardware automatically.
Pic3.png

Its going to say it found nothing. Then ask if you want to select from a list. Click next.
Pic4.png

Click "Show all Devices". Then click next.
Pic5.png

It's going to say select the device driver software you want to install. Click "Have Disk"
Pic6.png

It's going to tell you to insert the disc or browse to the files. Click browse.
Pic7.png

Navigate to the folder you downloaded portio to and select "portio32.sys" for 32-bit users, or "portio64.sys" for 64-bit users.
Pic8.png

In the next screen it's going to take you back to the driver list. Select (depending on your Win OS bit):
Code:
PortIO32 - Xbox 360 Device Driver
- OR -
PortIO64 - Xbox 360 Device Driver
Then click Next.
Pic9.png

Now I didn't go any further because I already have the drivers installed. It is going to ask you if you are sure you want to install these drivers. Select yes, then it will ask you again. Select yes and your drivers will install properly.

You can now shut down your computer again.

Reading your Xbox 360 Drive
If you are having a troubles with getting your computer to recognize the drive, make sure you double check the image below to see you have it in the correct slot. 1 user seems to claim that his could only work in the other slot.
1. Connect your 360 to your SATA port on your computer, or if you are using a VIA card it should be placed in this slot:
via6421.jpg

Start up the computer. Once your OS fully loads, you can turn on your 360.

2. Go to your DosFlash64 folder, right click the DosFlash64 file, run as administrator.
You will more than likely see this if you have a BenQ:
02.jpg

Or this if you have a Samsung:
01.jpg

If you have a Lite-on you will have to switch tutorials from this step forward:
How to flash a Xbox 360 LiteOn DVD Drive with DosFlash v2.0

I don't know what you will see for Hitachi. If you do, please PM me the image.

3. Once it finds the drive you should see this:
03.jpg

4. Click "Read Flash". Save it somewhere safe labeled as "orig.bin" (no quotes of course). I would back this up on an external, flash drive and email it to yourself. This is what you'll use if you mess this up (unlikely if you know how to read and follow this tutorial to a T). It's always good to have redundancy back ups.

Writing the Modded Firmware to your 360 Drive
(Pictures will show an earlier version of JungleFlasher, it should still be the same steps)
1. Take your downloaded modded firmware (that you got from xbins), and copy + paste it into the "...\JungleFlasher v0.1.96 Beta\firmware" folder.
2. Go to your "JungleFlasher v0.1.96 Beta" folder, right click "JungleFlasher" and "Run as Administrator".
3. Click "Open Source Firmware" and navigate to your "orig.bin" you just saved.
4. It will ask if you want to auto-load [Your drive name here]. Click "Yes". It should look similar to this:
05.jpg

5. You should see this now:
04.jpg

Make sure the top key matches the bottom key. Mine ends in BCD as you can see from the above image.

6. Click "Save to File" (bottom right). Find a place to save it. I don't change the name of the file that automatically appears.
07.jpg

7. Open up DosFlash64 again. Click the drop down menu and choose "Erase" and then click the button at the bottom to erase your drive.
08.jpg

8. Click the drop down menu and choose "Write" and click the "Write Flash" button at the bottom.
09.jpg

9. Navigate to where your modded firmware was saved to when you used JF, choose it and click Open.
10.jpg

10. It will begin writing your flash. It will go through a number of banks and you can view it on the bottom of the program.
11.jpg

11. A message will pop up saying you've successfully flashed your drive, click OK.

LASTLY, you can now go back into dseo13b and disable testing mode (same way you enabled it).

CONGRATS. You've just finished modding your drive using a Windows x64 OS!!!! From here, I like to shut down my computer, then turn off the 360. Disconnect your 360 from the computer, plug your 360's SATA back in, then go test it out to make sure it works before you go putting the case back together.

Other Tutorials of Interest
How to use ABGX - Used to make sure your backed up games are patched and able to go on XBL
How to Hack Gamerscore using Xbox 360 Profile Editor
How to Back up Xbox 360 games using Mac OS

Attachments

• identify_xbox_360_drive.jpg
    identify_xbox_360_drive.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 2,957
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
M

MoRa

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
Wow for sure I will be trying this. The tutorial is so well organized and you explain things perfectly. It just makes everything sound easier for a noob like me.

Niko Jims

Niko Jims

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Can you take a picture of the Xbox connected to the computer for me please?

AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I can try, but it won't happen tonight...or even this weekend for that matter as I'm leaving early tomorrow morning for out of town. But it's rather simple. Disconnect the sata from the drive, connect a sata cord from your computer to your 360 drive. Done :smile:

C

Carson

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Great tutorial man. Of course it is to be expected, yours are always awesome.

Niko Jims

Niko Jims

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
AzzidReign said:
I can try, but it won't happen tonight...or even this weekend for that matter as I'm leaving early tomorrow morning for out of town. But it's rather simple. Disconnect the sata from the drive, connect a sata cord from your computer to your 360 drive. Done :smile:
I don't have a SATA cable so I guess that's why...nvm the pictures then. Where can a get one for the purpose of this tutorial?

AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
I hope this shows up for you (click here).

If that doesn't show up, you can search for them on newegg, ebay, buy, etc. They seem pretty expensive...mine came with my 2 motherboards I bought so I have quite a few laying around lol Though I'm going to start using them since I'm converting everything over to SATA.

So if you've built your own computer, check your old motherboard box as I'm sure they are still sitting in there. Or if your computers DVD drive is using one, unplug that and use it for this tutorial, then put it back once you are done.

I

Inverted

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
so what you use is just a generic sata to usb cable and what screwdriver do you use to open the 360?

AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
No. Sata to Sata (hence the VIA card). As for screw driver, I used the 360 opening tool I posted in the requirements. It comes with the torx you need. If you are having trouble opening your 360, try to find a link. If you find a good link, let me know and I'll add it to my guide.

I've added 2 videos for you :thumbup:

AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
No, you need to do everything exactly as I wrote this tutorial. As I was writing this I was flashing someone's Xbox for the first time.

What happens is, when you load Dosflash, it installs the proper driver, so you don't have to worry about anything.

S

Scorp

Reaction score
Sin$
Nice post man. I was surprised to see that this was written yesterday :smile:
I modded my friends and my 360 about a year ago. Since than I was able to get games, burn em and play em no problem. Now with wave 3 I gotta re-mod them :-\. Since I modded them I've upgraded my PC so I bought a via VT-6421 because my mobo sata isn't compatible.

I get up to:
Reading your Xbox 360 Drive
1. Connect your 360 to your Sata port on your computer. Start up the Xbox.
2. Go to your DosFlash64 folder, right click the DosFlash64 file, run as administrator.

But DosFlash64 isn't seeing the dvd rom... It's a Hitachi 47DH. Does the drive have to be in mode-b? I tried both way, in and not in mode-b... I'm gonna try it with my 360, I have a different drive, forgot which 1... It's a BenQ / Lite-on / Phillips

I don't see where the Edit button is so I had to make a new post... :-\

I got a BenQ VAD6038, DosFlash64 sees it and asks if I want to send the Magic28 command but everytime it does, it fails. Because of that fail it tells me to try Geremia's unlock method. "Eject drive tray, power off drive, push drive tray in until it is half open, power on drive, press "Yes" if you are ready." I try this method to try n put it into ModeB but no luck. I thought only the Hitachi drive had to be put into ModeB... I can't get my BenQ into ModeB, should it be?

Apparently it auto-appends my posts because I was the last post :smile:

After turnin my 360 on and off and re-running the DosFlash64 it finally put it into ModeB...

Now it won't save my orig.bin lol...
It's stuck on Reading Bank 0 during the save of the .bin file

Now DosFlash won't see my rom...

OK, now I'm seein the drive again but still gets stuck on Bank 0 when it tries to make my orig.bin. DosFlash64 seems to be very buggy...

Alright. So after about 2 hours I finally got it :smile:
You have to make sure you use the right SATA port on your card. That is, if you use a VT6421. I used the inner SATA port and it seems to be working a lot better. I was able to successfully flash my BenQ drive. I'm workin on my friends Hitachi 47DH now :smile:

AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Wow, big post lol

Glad you finally got it working. Yeah, I think I should mention the bit about the sata port that you should use...I know that's what my problem was when I first started with my Xbox. Thanks for keeping me posted. Hopefully now you can get the hitachi to work rather easily now.

Ok, just added it to the tutorial! That will definitely help a lot of users from going down the wrong road.

J

justin2009

Reaction score
Sin$
Is it the exact same procedure for lite-on?

I ... spent all this morning to read jungleflasher manuals... and opened upp my brand new xbox, voided the warranty, scratched some part of the case :frown: and finally connected the dvd-rom via sata cable to my computer, the xbox dvd-rom was however powered by the xbox because i dont have that cable or input on my pc motherboard. Anyhow.. once I got everything connected, started up jungleflasher.. it didnt recognise it.. later on I found out that I have windows vista 64bit and that portio32 that came with the jungleflasher only work on 32bit.

So now when I finally hooked back everything, I find this wonderful guide on this site :tongue: First of all great job! Its well written so that even a kid can follow it. Also I like the enviroment here... other forum have so many.. geeks complaining, when ppl ask for help and they only refer to google all the time and call ppl lazy for asking help, I mean... what is so lazy about asking how to do?

Having said that, before I try this once more.. I just want to make sure one thing. This guide should work on lite-on drive as well right? I have a lite-on drive which was manufactured july 2009. On the jungleflasher manual (pdf file) they are writing something about holding the tray halfway etc... that doesnt apply here?

Anyone who has tried to flash liteon with this guide...?

P

pbmbuss

Reaction score
Sin$
Has anyone tried flashing a Benq Xbox with Windows 7 32-bit? Is it the same way tutorial says? Is it safer to be done with Windows XP?

Thank you AzzidReign!

AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
justin2009 said:
Is it the exact same procedure for lite-on?

I ... spent all this morning to read jungleflasher manuals... and opened upp my brand new xbox, voided the warranty, scratched some part of the case :frown: and finally connected the dvd-rom via sata cable to my computer, the xbox dvd-rom was however powered by the xbox because i dont have that cable or input on my pc motherboard. Anyhow.. once I got everything connected, started up jungleflasher.. it didnt recognise it.. later on I found out that I have windows vista 64bit and that portio32 that came with the jungleflasher only work on 32bit.

So now when I finally hooked back everything, I find this wonderful guide on this site :tongue: First of all great job! Its well written so that even a kid can follow it. Also I like the enviroment here... other forum have so many.. geeks complaining, when ppl ask for help and they only refer to google all the time and call ppl lazy for asking help, I mean... what is so lazy about asking how to do?

Having said that, before I try this once more.. I just want to make sure one thing. This guide should work on lite-on drive as well right? I have a lite-on drive which was manufactured july 2009. On the jungleflasher manual (pdf file) they are writing something about holding the tray halfway etc... that doesnt apply here?

Anyone who has tried to flash liteon with this guide...?
Lite-on's are just a little different. I'd look around on our site on how to read the key or use the probe to extract your key from your lite-on. That's the only difference, from what I know. I've never modded a lite-on but from what I can tell, the only difference is the use of a probe and one of the drives you need to decrypt the key. I'm hoping to work with some people that have lite-ons so I can add a portion for lite-ons in this tutorial.

Sorry if this wasn't the answer you were looking for :tongue:
pbmbuss said:
Has anyone tried flashing a Benq Xbox with Windows 7 32-bit? Is it the same way tutorial says? Is it safer to be done with Windows XP?

Thank you AzzidReign!

You can use this tutorial as well. But instead of the DosFlash64, use the DosFlash32. You can skip the dseo13b section as that only applies to 64 bits.

J

justin2009

Reaction score
Sin$
AzzidReign said:
Lite-on's are just a little different. I'd look around on our site on how to read the key or use the probe to extract your key from your lite-on. That's the only difference, from what I know. I've never modded a lite-on but from what I can tell, the only difference is the use of a probe and one of the drives you need to decrypt the key. I'm hoping to work with some people that have lite-ons so I can add a portion for lite-ons in this tutorial.

Sorry if this wasn't the answer you were looking for :tongue:

It's allright, I am looking forward to the updated tutorial with Lite-on. I heard that a new version of ixtreme is coming out.. so I guess I can wait with my flashing a bit so that I dont have to do it twice in a short period of time. I had an arcade box earlier.. I paid a mod-store to flash it, now once I got elite... I thought its better to learn to do this myself as it seems like one have to update the ixtreme on a regular basis.

A

abdulrashid

Reaction score
Sin$
hi mate!!
i am planning to flash/chip/modd my xbox 360 but i saw lots of videos and forums. and this one was the best one.
do i need to do MODE B with the black screen with the boot menue
let me know as soon as possible thanks:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

AzzidReign

AzzidReign

Teabaggin in 2024
Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
do i need to do MODE B with the black screen with the boot menue
Black screen? Boot menu? Are you talking about dos mode?

This is all used in windows. Follow the tutorial and you will come out alive.

Top Bottom
Login
Register