• Thread starter Selena Gomez
  • Start date
  • Views 20,224
S

Selena Gomez

Twitch.tv/kingsintv
Retired
Reaction score
Alright guys, a lot of people have been asking me how I find the deals I post and well for a while I was going to keep it a secret, but hey sharing is caring right? So i'm bringing you my personal places to look for deals and how to make sure you don't pay full price for games. Remember these are just the places I look to find the best deals, you can look elsewhere but this will help many of you get started.

General Sites:
  • Slickdeals- For this site you want to go there, go to the 'forums' tab and click 'hot deals'. You'll notice on the left hand side they'll have various pre-fixes for threads. Click the first pre-fix you see and it'll sort it out for you. Alternatively you can just click here and see the frontpage and general video game deals. This site is a great place for finding deals on not only games, but just about everything else as well. They have a free Android/iPhone mobile app that you can use as well, for it just sort by 'category' and then 'video games'. I have gone ahead and hyperlinked the various sections to make things easier for everybody. Mobile app links below:
  • SlickDeals Price Tracker- This is a custom price tracker for tracking any product you want. When the price changes they will email you about it right away, products are checked 2-4 times every single day, so don't expect updates every 15 minutes. It's definitely something worth looking into as notify you when your favorite game has a price reduction. I also highly recommend using slickdeals forum alerts for specific games as well, just set that up and you'll get a forum notification when a deal for the game comes up. You can read more about how the slickdeal price tracker works by checking their forum post here.
  • Cheapassgamer- This is another great site for finding deals, not only do they have a forum dedicated to video game deals here. For the video game deals forum I highly recommend sorting by start date so you can find more relevant deals, but if you want to look at the most recently updated that will be the default. I have noticed that deals tend to get posted here before slickdeals but it really varies, they keep one thread going for deals such as XBL Weekly, Nintendo Weekly, etc. They also have a game price tracker here the beauty of this is that you can sort by system, popularity, price drop, etc. It definitely helps when finding the better deals. You can also find them on Tapatalk for easy browsing of the forums, links below for tapatalk:
  • Direct2Play- This site is directed to PC gamers, and is a great place to find deals. Generally even pre-orders will be $15-$20 cheaper than regular price because you're getting just the CD key to redeem on Steam, Origin, or UPlay. A couple things to note though, not all CD keys are region free and it states directly on it whether it is or not, do not buy a CD key for the EU if you're in America as it will not work. And vice versa of course, if it says Global then it'll work anywhere in the world. I'll post an example below:
    45110db6841ecfb156f944657fd0f3ba.png

That warning is posted on every single game page, so there is no reason why you should purchase something for the wrong region.
  • G2A- This is another site mostly directed at PC gamers, but it does sell Xbox Live, PSN, and iTunes point cards. For this site the games generally will be a lot cheaper, especially the region free games. The reason for this is that you're circumventing US currency by purchasing games being sold in another country but since it's just the CD key you're golden and can take advantage of these deals. Again this site labels which keys work in which areas of the world, if it says US it's for US only, if it says EU it's for EU only, if it says Global then it'll work anywhere, so do not buy something for the wrong country. An example can be seen below:
    de83da91a5959afae6a467edf93fb94c.png
    6352ad3ca8af013a6c8a33412576b346.png

Again it's stated so please watch out for that.
    • You can use the discount code: 7sins to save 3% off of your orders.
  • Nuuvem- This site is directed at PC gamers, for it you'll be translating it into English, so I highly recommend using Google Chrome as it'll translate the entire page for you. You also may need to use a VPN when making the purchase otherwise you'll get hit with "not available in your region" I have personally used this site before and can vouch for it. The reason you are translating is because it's hosted in a region outside the US I think Brazil or something but it doesn't really matter, the point is you'll be taking advantage of the currency exchange rate in order to get good deals. The only games that really matter are the ones on sale here everything else is pretty hit or miss in terms of getting a good deal, just make sure you're buying region free keys.
  • Greenmangaming- Very good site for PC gamers, they have weekly sales as well as weekly coupon codes to save you even more money. Some of the codes will even work on pre-orders so you can save $10+ on a brand new game from the get go. Rarely they will even offer special pre-order incentive, for BioShock Infinite if you pre-ordered you could get BioShock 1+2 for free with it.
    • Use “SE7ENS-INS20O-FFGAME” to get 20% off your purchase!
  • Allkeyshop- Very good site for comparing prices of CD keys across various sites, but always make sure the site you're buying from is legit. It takes 2 seconds to google "<insert site here> reviews" and could save you the hassle.
  • HumbleBundle, IndieGala, BundleStars- Those sites and many others offer PC gamer's an easy and cheap way to build their collection. Humblebundle does weekly sales some of which can be very good such as the Origin Bundle that housed many great games for an extremely low price of $1, and the others offer various deals as well that can be cheap and quick to grab.
  • Steamhookups- This site I am relatively new to using but it's actually pretty good. The way it works is you must join their steam group and then sign in through steam, after that you can purchase it games. How it works is the sellers on their buy the games in massive bulk for cheaper rates and then sell you the games for that same price. For example I got the new Thief pre-order for $27.49 and it's not sitting in my steam library waiting to download. You pay through paypal so you'll be covered in case you deal with any shenanigans. I've only used it once but the prices on some things are great and therefore i'll put it in here.
  • IsThereAnyDeal.com- Very good site for tracking PC game deals. It shows the 'historically' lowest price so you know whether it's a great deal compared to when it's gone on sale before. You can important your steam wishlist and search for various games/dlc as well.
  • Cheapshark.com- Tracks daily deals for the best PC game sites. Everything from steam and origin to greenmangaming. Very simple to use and highly useful for finding great deals.
  • Steamdb- Tracks all current steam sales, makes it quick to look at the sales and is updated constantly.

• Reddit Game Deals- Lists both PC and Console game deals.

• Red Flag Deals- Great for finding Canadian deals on PC and Console.
General Knowledge:

• Gift cards- Some online retailers will offer gift cards with purchases as well as brick and mortar stores. For console users this is your best bet for getting a game cheaper at launch as you're usually going to pay full price, for PC users if buy digitally you'll get it cheaper almost guaranteed.

• Pre-order incentives- Places like target will often offer gift cards with pre-orders of games (usually $20 gift cards) for putting down $1 on the game, these gift cards usually only apply to certain games advertised and will automatically ring up at the register.

• Price Matching- Price Matching (PM) is a very good way to get a solid deal on an item. For example lets say Amazon has a game for $40 ($20 cheaper than retail price) and you want the game now. You can go to your local bestbuy (SHOULD'T BE AN ISSUE), target (SHOULDN'T BE AN ISSUE), or walmart (YMMV) and show them the price and they should give it to you for that price. Gamestop does not price match! If the price is really good and the sales associate won't honor it do not be afraid to get a manager. Many places state that they will price match any of the various retailers and managers will work with you, the more you fight the better chance you have at coming away with a deal, but make sure to be polite with them while being firm at the same time.

• Double Dipping and Your Miles May Vary (YMMV)- Double dipping means that you're trying to get more than one great deal, this can mean you're trying PM plus use a coupon, or anything of the sort and goes directly with YMMV which means the deal might work for you or it might not, it usually depends on who you talk too and whether they are willing to help you out or not. A great example of this is about a year ago Target had a deal going where if you pre-ordered a game you could get $20 off of various games one of them being Tomb Raider. At the same time BestBuy had Tomb Raider on sale for $19.99 so what people did was PM BestBuy at target and ring up tomb raider first and then ring up the pre-order which took $20 off of Tomb Raider thus resulting in them getting Tomb Raider for $1. It's a perfect example of YMMV as it may or may not work for you.

• Price Mistakes- This is exactly what it says it is, a 'price mistake'. These can be simple things where a season pass for a game is accidentally $5 instead of $20 for those cases I highly recommend jumping on it, I managed to get the BioShock Infinite Season Pass for just $5 which was a steal. Any time you are in a store and see a price mistake(usually something is labeled wrong) take a picture of it! Yes you heard me right, take a picture of it so if it rings up wrong at the register you can quickly correct it. If the cashier argues with you just tell them that was what it was priced at and you'd like them to honor the price, otherwise get a manager and they should be able to fix it right up for you. Price mistakes are good for two reasons, one being that you get something for real cheap, and two being that you can resell it for profit to someone.

• IF YOU'RE BUYING CD KEYS USE PAYPAL! I am telling you now that when purchasing CD keys if paypal is not a payment method then do not pay! Paypal will be your only protection if something goes wrong so I highly encourage you to use it!

• PC Users you should never be paying full price for a game, with the amount of digital sales going on now even brand new games shouldn't be full price, if you pay full price for a game then you're doing something wrong. Steam does huge sales about 4 times a year (basically when the season's change) and the deals are spectacular. Steam also does weekly, midweek, daily, and weekend sales as well so be sure to always check the steam store for the latest deals. Amazon does a holiday sale around Christmas in which they mark down a ton of digital games for amazing prices.

• Console Users you will most likely be paying full price for games at release and a while after that unless you decide to buy used. This more than likely will never change unless they start doing more digital sales, the only way you're going to get great deals is through Microsoft's Games with Gold as well as Xbox's Deal of the Week and Sony's Playstation Plus Free Games those are both great sources for free games to help you add games to your collection. *Note: Both of those require that you be paying the monthly fee for the membership!*
Miscellaneous Tips:

• Amazon Address for those not residing in the USA:
Code:
9 riding road
Holtsville, NY 00501
United States
Phone: (718) 452-3537

• Hola for Google Chrome - This is something that I recently found useful for getting some great deals for mostly PC users. What it allows you to do is trick your browser into thinking your in a different country. This can be useful when sometimes something is cheaper in another country and you can abuse the exchange rate in your favor. I've only used it a couple times but it has been proven to work not only from myself but from other users on slickdeals.

An example of this is if you go to the origin site and change your location to mexico and then login. You'll be able to purchase games for the peso price and abuse the currency exchange (I recommend double checking the exchange rate before purchasing) but paypal will tell you the local currency for your location anyways. I do this for season passes since it's just an add-on but you can do it for anything really.

• Steam redeemable games can be found here and here.
  • Steam region locks can be checked here.

I really hope this helps some of you find a great deal and save you some money as well!

Love,

Bossman <3

If you have any questions feel free to tag me in a reply and i'll help you out! Please do not quote the OP!

Do not post this on any other forum without asking me first, I put a lot of hard work into this guide and credit will need to be given.

*NOTE: Anything and everything stated in this guide is of my own writing, you are not to post on another forum without my direct consent to do so.*

*NOTE: Any purchase you make as a result of this guide is of your own doing and if you purchase something that doesn't work for your region (PC Users) or get into a fight with a manager and kicked out of the store (ALL) it is your own fault and you will not hold me accountable for your actions.*

Last edited:
Z

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Reaction score
firsties

M

Machine Gun Kelly

Or Nah
Reaction score
S Selena Gomez How do you know what's region free or not on Nuuvem? The only reason why I've never used it is for that case right there I don't want to buy a game that's not going to work :/

S

Selena Gomez

Twitch.tv/kingsintv
Retired
Reaction score
S Selena Gomez How do you know what's region free or not on Nuuvem? The only reason why I've never used it is for that case right there I don't want to buy a game that's not going to work :/
If I remember correctly the Steam games should be fine, but I only purchased one game on their before (Tomb Raider) and it worked fine. I don't use it that much as I find better deals elsewhere but every so often they'll have a very tempting deal.

R

Red

VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Just so you know. if I get one more game that doesn't work right Im going to hold you accountable for my actions and expect something back or I will kick your ***

S

Selena Gomez

Twitch.tv/kingsintv
Retired
Reaction score
Just so you know. if I get one more game that doesn't work right Im going to hold you accountable for my actions and expect something back or I will kick your ***
:tongue: You better order the right stuff then!

S

Selena Gomez

Twitch.tv/kingsintv
Retired
Reaction score
Update:
-Added a steamhookups walkthrough.
-Added information about price mistakes.
-Added information to PC Gamers about steam/amazon sales.

S

Selena Gomez

Twitch.tv/kingsintv
Retired
Reaction score
Updated with an amazon address for those not residing in the USA.

N

Noumenon

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
I need to start paying attention to stickies. This is a really good thread.

S

Sakuretsu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Came here to say good write-up. Hopefully I can take advantage of some deals in the future (console gamer here). Haven't bought a game for over two years now, excluding the deals MS have finally started doing (Dark Souls was a particular steal, along with TES IV).

S

Spider Man

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also Cheap *** Gamer has a really good podcast.

S

Selena Gomez

Twitch.tv/kingsintv
Retired
Reaction score
Came here to say good write-up. Hopefully I can take advantage of some deals in the future (console gamer here). Haven't bought a game for over two years now, excluding the deals MS have finally started doing (Dark Souls was a particular steal, along with TES IV).
That's why I made it! :smile: I haven't bought a game at full price in years so I figured i'd share my knowledge finally :tongue:

M

MoMo

"Swift"
Reaction score
I've never personally used them, but i've never heard anything bad about them.

Okay. That probably means I shouldn't trust them. I've had bad experiences before with similar sites. Do you know any place that is legitimately selling this game with a big discount?

S

Selena Gomez

Twitch.tv/kingsintv
Retired
Reaction score
Okay. That probably means I shouldn't trust them. I've had bad experiences before with similar sites. Do you know any place that is legitimately selling this game with a big discount?
If you can pay with paypal then you're fine. The scam sites are usually the ones that don't allow paypal.

M

MoMo

"Swift"
Reaction score
If you can pay with paypal then you're fine. The scam sites are usually the ones that don't allow paypal.

Step 5: Payment Method
Please select the preferred payment method to use on this order.

PayPal - ( Note : You can order by paypal account, visa card , mastercard via paypal)

My gyazo is not working right now, but it has Paypal

S

Selena Gomez

Twitch.tv/kingsintv
Retired
Reaction score
Step 5: Payment Method
Please select the preferred payment method to use on this order.

PayPal - ( Note : You can order by paypal account, visa card , mastercard via paypal)

My gyazo is not working right now, but it has Paypal
Then it shouldn't be an issue. Anytime I buy just the CD key I always pay with paypal to make sure i'm covered.

M

Machine Gun Kelly

Or Nah
Reaction score

Their site isn't a scam I used it for thief and got my key in about 30 minutes :smile: I paid with paypal too just in case the only bad thing about getting south park is they don't have the keys until tomorrow even though they are region free EU doesn't get the keys until tomorrow I talked to customer support about it

Top Bottom