Game Mods How to Enable Fallout 4 Mod Installation

jack

jack

七転び八起き
Administrator
Scaling the Mountain Mythical Veteran MotM
Reaction score
Sin$
If you're a fan of Fallout 4 and own it on PC, you've undoubtedly wanted to mod it. Although it takes a bit of file tweaking to enable mod installation, it's well worth it given some of the content that many talented developers have already created. This guide was originally posted on the Nexus Wiki and without it, I would not have been able to write this up.

The first step is to navigate to where your Fallout 4 settings are located. By default, this is located in "My Documents > My Games > Fallout 4".

bc0c2875e8c2bd1ef04f0ea8ac6453ae.png

Within this folder, you'll find two .ini files called "Fallout4.ini" and "Fallout4Prefs.ini". Control+Click both of these files to highlight them, and then right click them and go into Properties.

21182459012dc1ffbfa902263b027f23.png

Make sure that under Attributes, "Read-only" is NOT checked otherwise you won't be able to make any edits to the .ini! Hit "Apply" at the bottom and then hit "OK", and then open up Fallout4Prefs.ini in your preferred text editor (Notepad, if you don't have any other text editor).

205e65984d09513f94153120858d49a0.png

All the way at the bottom of Fallout4Prefs.ini, you'll see a category labeled "[Launcher]". Underneath "uLastAspectRatio=1", you'll need to paste the following line: bEnableFileSelection=1

645b57330fe2ecb1cded2badd9e2b889.png

Once you edit that line into the bottom of Fallout4Prefs.ini, go ahead and save the file and close out of it. Next, open "Fallout4.ini" in your text editor. You'll want to press Control+F and open up the search menu, then find the line that reads sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\

1ae932ee5ddf8c01d2a8b084052427de.png

Once you find this line, highlight it and replace it with the following line: sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\, TEXTURES\, MUSIC\, SOUND\, INTERFACE\, MESHES\, PROGRAMS\, MATERIALS\, LODSETTINGS\, VIS\, MISC\, SCRIPTS\, SHADERSFX\

After you've swapped them out, you can save the file and close it out. Once both .ini files have been edited and saved, you're all set to start modding! When using any mods, be sure to follow their installation instructions because some can have a particular installation process in order for it to work.

As for where to find mods, I would definitely recommend checking out NexusMods.

Last edited:
Red58

Red58

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I believe they changed it again btw, I dont think they suggest that you replace sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\ anymore because it can cause lengthy load times apparently

jack

jack

七転び八起き
Administrator
Reaction score
Sin$
I believe they changed it again btw, I dont think they suggest that you replace sResourceDataDirsFinal=STRINGS\ anymore because it can cause lengthy load times apparently
This was the only way to do it when the game was first released, but load time will increase regardless of what is done since the game will need to load extra content. I'll look into any other methods when the Creation Kit is released.

jack

jack

七転び八起き
Administrator
Reaction score
Sin$
So this isn't possible anymore?
It's just an .ini tweak that would allow the game to recognize and load modded files. It's not the "official" way to enable mods, meaning that it's not supported by Bethesda and until they do add official support for Fallout 4, it is one of the few ways. Given what Red58 says, it might be worth looking into to see if there is an updated method. This was the only known way to do it when Fallout 4 was first released and I haven't looked into any new methods since then.

Top Bottom
Login
Register