What's new

Tutorial How to ditch Internet Explorer and remove it on Windows 7/Vista/8/8.1/ and possibly 10

What is your favorite web browser?

• Firefox

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Opera

• Internet Explorer

• Netscape Navigator

• Other

• I don't even browse the Internet

• Total voters

Eddy Neddy

Reaction score
Let's say you now have a favorite browser. Whether it be, Opera, Chrome, Firefox, or even the obsolete Netscape, you want to keep that browser and remove Internet Explorer.

Note: This is my first time writing a tutorial on SE7ENSINS and hopefully I will improve if needed in the future.

Pros and Cons of removing Internet Explorer:

Pros:

1. It will help free up disk space on Windows.

2. You can always reinstall it.

Cons:

1. Programs that require Internet Explorer at some times, like Steam, won't work properly at the moment it needs to use it.

Note: This tutorial should be similar if not probably the same method as removing Internet Explorer on Windows Vista.

To start with removing Internet Explorer, you have to click on the start button, then click on, "Control Panel," then near the left, click on, "Uninstall a program." You should now see on the left panel of the control panel a link that says, "Turn Windows features on or off," click on it. On Vista, you might have a User Account Control popup, just confirm it if so and if it requires a password simply type it in. A window should show up and it will starting loading a list and eventually after about 10 seconds, it will show this.

On Windows Vista, it might say, "Internet Explorer 7," if not, then probably it's either version 8 or 9. Windows 7 should come with Internet Explorer 8 by default later versions such as 9, 10, or 11 should work just fine with this tutorial. Keep in mind that on Windows 8.1/8 or even 10 might have a different version number. The version number doesn't matter.

When you see the check mark near the, "Internet Explorer text, near the icon," uncheck that box. It might give you a warning about removing Internet Explorer, if you want to proceed on removing it, then go ahead and click on, "yes," if not, then click, "no." Click on, "ok," and it might do some other stuff and if a warning or info box appears accept it. Now you can reboot Windows. It may say that it's configuring updates or Windows features, this means that it's probably in the process of deleting the Internet Explorer files. DO NOT TURN IT OFF. When it finishes rebooting, you should see being able to boot up without Internet Explorer, it however for the first reboot might, say it's configuring updates or features, this is normal and you should let it finish.

Now you can set your favorite browser as your default (if such option exists).

I hope you found this tutorial helpful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom