• Thread starter Mark 2
  • Start date
  • Views 1,278
Mark 2

Mark 2

Reaction score
Sin$
Hello,

I want to create a game that look like runescape.
Online MMORPG. Maybe not massive multiplayer at the beginning. Some players, online world in which players connect ...

There is more than one way to do it, I'm asking for a short summary about ways to do it and suggestions.

I know that is not that simple, I'll need a server, a website, a database, a game...
Maybe there is good tutorials.

Thanks for your replies.

Last edited:
Mr Chip53

Mr Chip53

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Setup a RSPS. It'll be a lot more likely you can pull that off.

Mark 2

Mark 2

Reaction score
Sin$
Nah, I want to do the whole thing. Even if that look like big cubes moving around, learning is the purpose.

Mr Chip53

Mr Chip53

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Well you could do it in Java. Go ahead and download a RSPS to see how the server works and code yours similarly. As far as coding the actual game. You will have learn based on what you want in it(3d or 2d, static or dynamic lights etc)

Mark 2

Mark 2

Reaction score
Sin$
good idea, do you know about the networking part? What is the best? Once the game is done, I want player from internet to connect. Maybe less than 5 for the first tests

Mr Chip53

Mr Chip53

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Code a server like a RSPS server. Main thread creates a socket listener thread which creates threads for every client when they connect. Each client is handled by there own thread. Any more details depends on what information you want stored on the server and what not.

N

NewOneX

Reaction score
Sin$
Mr Chip53 Mr Chip53
Gosh if i hear the word thread for an Mmorpg server I'm going to die. You only talk about n threads maximum where n is the number of available cores. We live in 2015 not in 1970. We have coroutines or callback hell choose whatever you want. BUT NO THREAD PER CONNECTION.

Before doing anything regarding network write a small dummy wrapper for the server which emulates it for one player. The most important part is the game itself and you probably don't want to code a 3d engine and so on so use one. You seem to underestimate it. Like you would probably take atleast a year or so to get it properly working.

Mr Chip53

Mr Chip53

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Mr Chip53 Mr Chip53
Gosh if i hear the word thread for an Mmorpg server I'm going to die. You only talk about n threads maximum where n is the number of available cores. We live in 2015 not in 1970. We have coroutines or callback hell choose whatever you want. BUT NO THREAD PER CONNECTION.

Before doing anything regarding network write a small dummy wrapper for the server which emulates it for one player. The most important part is the game itself and you probably don't want to code a 3d engine and so on so use one. You seem to underestimate it. Like you would probably take atleast a year or so to get it properly working.
Thats just how most RSPSs are coded. Easy to skim through the sources and learn how to do it with those for some one that doesn't know where to start.

N

NewOneX

Reaction score
Sin$
Thats just how most RSPSs are coded. Easy to skim through the sources and learn how to do it with those for some one that doesn't know where to start.
If you do this you have no clue about programming. There's boost coroutine, asio, golang, rust(with coroutine and callbacks), erlang, c# tasks, windows with Fiber and much more. 1 Thread/Conn is a super easy ddos target.

Mr Chip53

Mr Chip53

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If you do this you have no clue about programming. There's boost coroutine, asio, golang, rust(with coroutine and callbacks), erlang, c# tasks, windows with Fiber and much more. 1 Thread/Conn is a super easy ddos target.
Ok and I just said its an easy place to learn from for someone that has no clue about network programming.

Xolitude

Xolitude

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Realistically, I started with thread networking and it's not a bad place to start if you're not trying to create a big name game. It's useful to practice and learn on. Then, you'd move forward with learning more extensive networking techniques and such.

N

NewOneX

Reaction score
Sin$
Realistically, I started with thread networking and it's not a bad place to start if you're not trying to create a big name game. It's useful to practice and learn on. Then, you'd move forward with learning more extensive networking techniques and such.

It's retarded to learn bad practice. As I said before you can use librarys to avoid dealing with os threads.

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Programmer Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
First select a game engine, your most likely not going to be able to write all of the code for a game from scratch.

Unity 3D has web support, maybe look in to that. Not sure about UE4, but recommend it the most. In terms of coding the server, its much more simple than its made out to be. Just take the logical steps of what needs to happen and communicate amongst all of the client connections.

You could do one thread per client, it works, but you may find out that your server cannot handle many connections. For this case and many like it, you want to look in to Asynchronous Threading. Which basically means, in the terms and use of networking, instead of holding a thread open the entire time a client connects, a thread is opened only upon receiving information from said client. That method is more efficient, you can handle more clients, and less resource expensive.

tsgs_

tsgs_

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Rather than going straight at it, you might find that setting up a private server (RSPS for example) would be very helpful. You say you want to make your own game and I understand that, but learning how to run an already-working server will help you a lot. You can learn how everything works first and see what does what and why it does that.

Top Bottom
Login
Register