• Views 15,548
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Nomadic Dagger

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
How to connect your Xbox 360 HDD to your PC, without transfer cable.
NOT
by Nomadic Dagger

xbox0.jpg

Did you ever need to connect your Xbox 360 hard drive to your PC? Whether you wanted to make a back-up of your files or decided to use the storage, it probably didn’t prove as easy as you thought. Microsoft uses a special connector to attach the hard drive to the Xbox 360, and you won’t be able to connect it to your PC. At least not right away, because inside that shiny plastic and metal shell, there’s a small hard drive like any other. Today we’re going to show you how to open up your Xbox 360 hard drive and connect it to your PC, in this step by step, illustrated guide.

*WARNING*
You CAN screw up your HDD by doing this, be careful. Only use this if you really don't want to pay for a transfer cable or XSATA.

Opening your 360 HDD

What you'll need:

• Xbox 360 HDD
  • Windows-enabled PC with at least one SATA port
  • Two special screwdrivers; a TORX T-6and TORX T-10. These are somewhat different from your usual Philips screwdriver, so you might have to head to the hardware store for them. Without them, you’ll have a hard time reaching the hard drive and might even damage it beyond repair. Caution is strongly advised.
Since you’re working with sensitive electronics, you might want to wear an anti-static wrist strap or surface. Otherwise, by carrying over static electricity, you might short some of the components.

torx.jpg

First thing we’ll need to do is open up the protective shell that envelops your Xbox 360 hard drive. Pull it out of your Xbox by pressing the button at the bottom. Turn it upside down, and remove the Microsoft seal.

Be aware that this voids all and any warranty that you have left on your Xbox 360’s hard drive. If it breaks after the procedure, you’ll have to buy a new one.

Don’t worry too much though, the warranty on your Xbox 360 system will remain intact nonetheless.

xbox2.jpg

You’ll notice that there are four visible screws at the bottom, one of which was hidden under the seal. You can remove these with the TORX T-6 screwdriver. After that, the top side should part pretty easily. Don’t pull too hard, just start at the rounded side and pull it open slowly. The square part should give away too, in the end.

xbox3.jpg

To your great horror, you’ll discover four more TORX screws. You can use the T-10 this time. After you’ve removed them, pull away the thin metal cover. Abracadabra. Below you’ll find a 2.5″ hard drive.

xbox4.jpg

After you unplug the cable and try to take it out of its shell, you’ll notice that it only slides until it hits a little plastic button at the far side. To get it out, gently lift up the metal casing, and keep it high while you slide out your hard drive. If you can’t unplug the cable, start sliding the hard drive out first, and gently push the cable out of its socket once you’ve got enough room.

xbox5.jpg

Voila, there you have it. Did you ever imagine your Xbox 360 hard drive would be so… ordinary?

Connecting Your Xbox 360 Hard Drive to Your PC

The Xbox 360 hard drive is a simple 2.5″ SATA hard drive, so you would connect it like you would a regular one. Most computers open pretty easily, and you can take the side away with only two screws. You’ll need to attach both a SATA cable from your computer’s motherboard to your hard drive, as well as a SATA power cable from your computer’s power supply. Both are depicted below.

sata.jpg

Alternatively, you can find SATA to USB adapters online for ten to twenty bucks. It’ll spare you a lot of trouble, and is safer if you don’t like opening up your computer.
To view the files on your disk, or to make a full back-up, you’ll need to download Xplorer360. It’s an entirely free and easy to use tool. With Xplorer360, you can read and write to Xbox 360 hard drives. By going to Drive -> Backup Image, you can already make a full back-up. Have fun!

9-11-2009-22-21-18.png

I hope you’ve learned something from this tutorial. If you’ve got any other questions, don’t be afraid to ask.

dEku

dEku

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Nice tutorial. I have a transfer kit but if it came down to it, I would do this.. lol

(Not saying I would do this, yet..) Would you be able to format the hard drive and use it for memory?

The only useful ones would be the 120gb and the 250gb though..

N

Nomadic Dagger

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
ItzZ pOiZoN said:
Nice tutorial. I have a transfer kit but if it came down to it, I would do this.. lol

(Not saying I would do this, yet..) Would you be able to format the hard drive and use it for memory?

The only useful ones would be the 120gb and the 250gb though..
Yes, I'm pretty sure that would work.

dEku

dEku

Seasoned Member
Reaction score
Sin$
Maybe I will try it after I get a job and buy a new hard drive or 2 and maybe a new xbox..

There is so much I wanna do, I'm gonna need double of everything! =.=

N

Nomadic Dagger

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
ItzZ pOiZoN said:
Maybe I will try it after I get a job and buy a new hard drive or 2 and maybe a new xbox..

There is so much I wanna do, I'm gonna need double of everything! =.=
Best of luck! :smile:

OLine57

OLine57

ALL GAVE SOME. SOME GAVE ALL. 343
Hardened Veteran Gifter Frame In Gold
Reaction score
Sin$
Damn dude, nice tut. Very well put together. People should get some good use out of this.

C

Come Shot Mcgee

Jets Over Everything
Reaction score
Sin$
I remember I did this back in the day and it scrambled all my drives

K

ksaul

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
are u able to put illegal games onto a 360 harddrive with this method and beable to play them without JTag?

N

Nomadic Dagger

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
ksaul said:
are u able to put illegal games onto a 360 harddrive with this method and beable to play them without JTag?
No.

A

A E I 0wnz U

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I just tried this and it ****ing blew up on me. My hdd is now unidentifiable by my pc and xbox. Followed your instructions step by step an don't say I don't know how to handle a hard drive. Now I'm hddless. And I'm ****in pissed. Gatta wait for my mom to get time off now so I can go to ebgames and buy a new one.

I'm warning you

only do this as a last resort!

N

Nomadic Dagger

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
A E I 0wnz U said:
I just tried this and it ****ing blew up on me. My hdd is now unidentifiable by my pc and xbox. Followed your instructions step by step an don't say I don't know how to handle a hard drive. Now I'm hddless. And I'm ****in pissed. Gatta wait for my mom to get time off now so I can go to ebgames and buy a new one.

I'm warning you

only do this as a last resort!
Sorry man. :frown:

Added a little warning message.

I

iammurloc123

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
lmao i did this then next day my cable came in post... forgot i ordered it cos it took a week to get here haha! oh well :frown:

S

Scenetic

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
This is a great tutorial, forgot to reply when I didn't have a TC.
Great tutorial, very easy to follow through, and works 100%.
Worked great before I ordered my cable :smile:

Scenetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register