What's new

Tutorial How to Buy Digital Games without Tax (USA) and 5% GST (Canada) [Updated June 23rd]

• Thread starter Spooze
  • Start date
  • Views 88,759
Spooze

Spooze

Xbox Achievement Whore
Retired
Mythical Veteran Fabled Veteran Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
I live in Cali and I don't get taxed in the Xbox store at all. Using Cali addresses gurauntees you won't be taxed.
What about Amazon? Have you ever bought a digital item from Amazon?

llalalalalalla

llalalalalalla

Reaction score
Sin$
wait then i dont need to buy gift card of 60 dolaar to buy a game i just can put a credit card? and it will work?

W

WWE

Retired
Retired
Trifecta Mr. Nice Guy Community Spotlight
Reaction score
Sin$
wait then i dont need to buy gift card of 60 dolaar to buy a game i just can put a credit card? and it will work?
Yes. If you live in the USA and use a California address, you don't need to use a gift card, you can use your credit card. However, if you live in Canada, and want to use the California address, then you need to use a gift card.

B

blacksiren

Reaction score
Sin$
i changed my address to a cali one, how long does it take for it to go affect? still seeing a tax

Spooze

Spooze

Xbox Achievement Whore
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
i changed my address to a cali one, how long does it take for it to go affect? still seeing a tax
I personally don't use a Cali address. How long has it been? It shouldn't take that long. Couple hours maybe.

B

blacksiren

Reaction score
Sin$
I personally don't use a Cali address. How long has it been? It shouldn't take that long. Couple hours maybe.

im being impatient lol, been less than an hour, haha, ill give it a few hours and report back. what state do you use just in case this doesnt work, on the one in the op?

also thanks for the fast reply !

Spooze

Spooze

Xbox Achievement Whore
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
im being impatient lol, been less than an hour, haha, ill give it a few hours and report back. what state do you use just in case this doesnt work, on the one in the op?

also thanks for the fast reply !
I live in Canada and use a Canadian address to get low tax, which works. I have, however, used the Oregan address too before which worked.

There are claims that a Cali address should work, so you should be fine. Just wait a couple hours and try.

You could try a different state with no tax.

"There are four states with no sales tax: Delaware, Montana, Oregon, and New Hampshire. A fifth, Alaska, has no state-level sales tax but allows municipalities to impose the retail-level tax. As a result, the average sales tax rate in Alaska is 1.69%"

B

blacksiren

Reaction score
Sin$
I live in Canada and use a Canadian address to get low tax, which works. I have, however, used the Oregan address too before which worked.

There are claims that a Cali address should work, so you should be fine. Just wait a couple hours and try.

You could try a different state with no tax.

"There are four states with no sales tax: Delaware, Montana, Oregon, and New Hampshire. A fifth, Alaska, has no state-level sales tax but allows municipalities to impose the retail-level tax. As a result, the average sales tax rate in Alaska is 1.69%"
sounds good, thanks for the heads up

B

blacksiren

Reaction score
Sin$
also one more question, does it matter where i buy it xbox.com or at the xbox?

B

blacksiren

Reaction score
Sin$
for some reason california is not working for me, waited like 14 hours grrr

B

blacksiren

Reaction score
Sin$
nvm got it to work, had to change the address book too, it still had my old one preferred. yay!

W

WWE

Retired
Retired
Trifecta Mr. Nice Guy Community Spotlight
Reaction score
Sin$
nvm got it to work, had to change the address book too, it still had my old one preferred. yay!
Glad it worked. I live in California too which is why I started spreading the word that there's no tax in the store, which is weird considering everything is taxed in California.

N

N3wb135

Reaction score
Sin$
How do I check to see if I have taxes or not? Put the CA address on and its been a few hours but IDK for sure.

B

blacksiren

Reaction score
Sin$
what do you mean by address book? i am using one that people say work and it isnt.
https://account.microsoft.com/billing/addresses#/

go here, and click on where it says payment & billing, click on the address book, make sure your new one is preferred, once i did that it worked 
How do I check to see if I have taxes or not? Put the CA address on and its been a few hours but IDK for sure.
the only way to tell is either have enough to buy it "example" have 60 dollars for for a 59.99 game, or something similar. another way to tell is after, where you check how much you have left over or how much extra they charge you. This is assuming youre in the us. hope that explains it.

N

N3wb135

Reaction score
Sin$
Didn't do the recommend that you told Josh so that helps too since I haven't bought anything yet! Thank you, should work now hopefully.

Top Bottom
Login
Register