What's new

Tutorial How to Build a USB Nand Reader for a JTAGed Xbox 360

X

xavi17

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is not my guide, i sourced it from elsewhere

Hey guys, Ive seen enough info floating about about a USB flasher and how to use them but instructions on how to build them are rare. So here is a guide on how to make yours for under $30 (if you live in Australia and need to pay shipping):thumbup:.

Here is what it should look like if you follow this guide. Theres a couple of mods shown that you can do but ill come to that later.

usb01.gif

usb02.gif

So to start you want to get all of your parts together.

farnell.com
1448128 RESONATOR 12MHZ �0.27 1
1579600 PIC18F2455-I/SP 8BIT 24K FLASH �4.35 1
VAT �5.43
DELIVERY �0.00
TOTAL �5.43

maplin.co.uk
VH01B 0.1uf CAPACITOR �0.14 1
AU08J 0.22uf CAPACITOR �0.18 1
D10K 10KΩ RESISTOR �0.23 2
D100R 100Ω RESISTER �0.23 5
JP48C STRIPBOARD �3.45 1
FZ57M 0.3IN 28 PIN SOCKET �1.03 1
SUB-TOTAL �6.41
DELIVERY �2.98
TOTAL �9.39

After you have got everything in front of you, you can start cutting the tracks on the stripboard ready to solder everything in.
A couple of points.......
I have removed pins from the IC Socket (marked in RED) so there are less tracks to cut (pictured). You can cut tracks instead but that will take alot longer. To remove pins from the socket, hold the tip of your iron on the bottom of the pin while applying a little presure. The pin should just drop out easily.

There is a jumper cable linking pins 8 & 19 on the PIC that can either be connected on the front or the back of the board.

There is also a jumper linking pin 18 on the PIC to ground that needs to be connected to flash the chip (enter bootloader mode) but this must be disconnected to read or write to your nand. You can either solder two wires and connect them when needed or solder a header and use a jumper.

Notice the polarity of the capacitors. If you get polarised capacitors make sure you wire them in right.

Now look at the pictures below to see where everything goes.

usb02.gif

usb03.gif

usb04.gif

R1 = 100Ω RESISTER (Brown Black Brown)
R2 = 10KΩ RESISTOR (Brown Black Orange)
R3 = 100Ω RESISTER (Brown Black Brown)
R4 = 100Ω RESISTER (Brown Black Brown)
R5 = 100Ω RESISTER (Brown Black Brown)
R6 = 100Ω RESISTER (Brown Black Brown)
R7 = 10KΩ RESISTOR (Brown Black Orange)
C1 = 0.1uf CAPACITOR
C2 = 0.22uf CAPACITOR
RZ1 = 12MHZ RESONATOR

If you wanted to make things easier for yourself, you can add an RJ45 plug on the cable that goes to the xbox, and have an RJ45 connector that can stay inside of the xbox so you don't have to open your xbox up everytime theres an update (pictured).

usb05.gif

usb06.gif

usb07.gif

You can also add pin header/plugs so that you can disconnect the cable easily (also pictured).

usb09.gif

Now that you have soldered everything together you need to flash the PIC with the bootloader. To do this, you need an additional programmer. You can build one for a couple of quid (ART2003 LVP) or if you know someone that can do it, give it to them.

If you are going to build one yourself this might help.

th_Untitled-2-3.gif

th_Untitled-1-4.gif

To build it you need 8x 1N4148 Diods, 1x 220 ohm Resister and 1x 47Uf Capascitor.

If you built the ART2003 programmer, open "WinPic800_V3_59.exe", go into hardware settings and choose the programmer. Then on the main page, set the options shown, open the hex file "PicXBoot.hex" and click the green right arrow to write the file to the PIC.

winpic800-01.gif

winpic800-02.gif

Once you have programmed the bootloader, put the PIC in your reader and connect the jumper to enter bootloader mode (remember above) then connect to a USB port. When asked to install a driver, point windows to the driver in the install folder.

After you have installed the reader, open "PDFSUSB.exe", set the board to the one pictured, load the HEX file "PICFLASH.hex" and click program device. If everything goes well you should see the same message pictured.

winpic800-03.gif

winpic800-04.gif

Now just remove the jumper and reconnect the reader to your USB port. Windows should detect and install the reader automaticly.

Connect the wires to the xbox (see picture) and your ready to read your nand.

usb10.gif

O

offica1 g33k

Getting There
Reaction score
hmm looks pretty complecated. im just going to stick with my lpt

L

lil BLu3 SMuRF

Reaction score
looks complicated, im just gonna buy one lol for like 30 dollars with all the software and pre-made in a factory lol

M

MohammadMubin

Reaction score
no download :tongue:
of the files

K

KarimPolska

Reaction score
I bought a Matrix SPI nand programer which uses this chip and assumably the same fw, but I messed its fw through PDFSUSB and it doesnt work anymore. Is there a chance I can revive it by flashing the Bootloader hex through USB? Do you have the hex file you mentioned above (bootloader) and can it be flashed through USB, as I did find some files but I couldnt get them flashed, some errors poped up.

J

jamesyoung

Reaction score
Can you please fix the blurry images. Use imgur instead of photobucket please.

Top Bottom