Discussion How the Xbox Live Reputation System works

Spooze

Spooze

Xbox Achievement Whore
Retired
Mythical Veteran Fabled Veteran Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
I've seen a few posts and threads pop up about the reputation system and Major Nelson just made this blog post earlier today about it.

There is a lot of detail so I'm simply going to copy and paste it, so I just want to come out and say that all credit goes to Major Nelson.

I've learned a few things reading through this and I hope you do too, as well as answers any questions you may have about the reputation system.

-------------------​

What are we trying to achieve?

Xbox Live’s goal is to be the world’s best social gaming network for all types of players. We have a diverse and passionate community and all gamers deserve to be welcomed and respected. Xbox Live provides a host of features that enable members to share experiences and have fun together. Like many social networks, however, some people misuse the network in inappropriate or harmful ways. At Xbox, we do not tolerate this behavior and our rules around this are outlined in our Terms of Use. We’ve all seen our fair share of ‘bad apples’ at play: spammers, player-killers, people who constantly use foul language, people who send harmful messages, etc. These bad apples are a part of life but empowering our community with tools like the Xbox Live reputation system helps to make Xbox Live a more fun place for everyone to enjoy.

The Xbox Live reputation system

Reputation empowers community members to provide feedback with the goal of improving everyone’s experience and giving players the tools to identify those who may be exhibiting poor behavior.

Reputation works by keeping track of feedback that gamers receive as they interact with other players and games.

As you play online and interact with others, you may accumulate feedback in various ways:
  • Your opponents might report you for being abusive in tone, for example, if you are swearing at them a lot.
  • Your teammates might report you for intentionally team-killing.
  • A game might report you for habitually quitting matches.
  • A gamer might report you for posting an offensive comment on an Activity Feed.
  • You might be muted a disproportionate number of times.

This feedback helps our algorithm identify which gamers appear to be behaving the most abusively. We know that most gamers don’t intend to hurt others; they simply may not realize that what they’re doing is offensive to others. So before we take any action against those gamers, we send warning messages to them to encourage them to shape up. If they ignore the messages and continue to accrue negative feedback, their reputation is impacted and we ensure that their ability to impact others is reduced.

How it works

The Xbox Live reputation system incorporates all the feedback that you’ve received during your last few weeks of multiplayer sessions to determine your reputation. Different types of feedback are weighted differently and our Policy & Enforcement Team often verifies feedback accuracy. We also use automated safeguards to ensure sure that feedback is accurate. As an example, we confirm that you’ve actually played with someone if you’re complaining about their multiplayer behavior.

If you get a large number of reports from other gamers, your reputation might drop to “Needs Work.” You’ll get a warning message from Xbox that you’re having a negative impact on other people and other gamers will see a “Needs Work” warning bar on your profile. It typically takes over a dozen unique reports or several dozen mutes for your reputation to drop down to “Needs Work.”

If you continue to get reported for your conduct after you’ve entered “Needs Work,” we’ll send you another message as a final warning. If you ignore this second message and get reported a few more times, you’ll enter the “Avoid Me” reputation classification. At this point, the network will limit your multiplayer experience and, depending on the game, you’ll either only be able to match with other “Avoid Me” players or have your microphone muted by default. You can always still play and chat with you friends but if you join a party with your friends, the whole party will be classified as having a bad reputation.

As you play additional hours of multiplayer without receiving negative feedback, your reputation heals. So if you wind up in “Avoid Me” or “Needs Work,” you can improve your reputation by playing multiplayer games, even with your friends. It takes a typical gamer a few months of play for their reputation to completely heal.

How reputation has evolved

We’re always listening for community feedback and making improvements. We’ve learned a lot over the years and we continually tune the system to make it work better. We’ve encountered issues with feedback accuracy, weighting problems, and gamers manipulating the system by blocking one another, so we’ve made changes like the following:

• We no longer incorporate getting blocked into your reputation. We know that some players block others to avoid playing with them again versus for abusive behavior, particularly in competitive environments.
  • Members of our Policy & Enforcement Team are empowered to undo any feedback that they deem inaccurate; they can flag players as inaccurate feedback submitters; and If a player is being particularly abusive, they can issue suspensions.
  • We’ve updated how reputation appears on the console and in the Xbox app. We’ve heard that our reputation “gas gauge” is confusing, so we’re moving away from this in favor of displaying a warning bar on the community-facing profiles of those with bad reputations.

Learn more

To learn more about your reputation, you can access your detailed six-month history here: https://enforcement.xbox.com/home/reputation. This page (sample below) provides a rolling six-month history of your reputation.

You can see your current reputation, how your reputation has changed over the last six months, the feedback that you’ve reported on other people, and a high-level breakdown of the types of feedback you’ve received.

There are three types of reputation feedback that you can file or have filed on you:
  • “Fair Play” includes reports for quitting multiplayer matches early, participating in unsporting behavior such as team-killing or crashing into other players in racing games, and cheating.
  • “Communication” includes inappropriate or abusive in-game or party voice chat and messaging.
  • “User Content” includes any content that you publish to the network, like your gamertag, gamerpic, gameDVR clips, and screenshots.
In the sample above, this particular gamer was harassing people over chat and being a bad sport. He received over seventy reports from the community over the past six months (see “Feedback You’ve Received” section). His reputation dropped down to “Avoid Me” between May and July (see “Your Reputation Over Time” section).

The page also tracks the reports you’ve submitted on other people (“Feedback Filed by You”). To safeguard privacy, we do not display the account information for reporters of feedback to the recipients of the negative feedback.

Reputation is an important part of keeping Xbox Live fun and safe for everyone. As a member of the network, it’s important that you have the resources to understand how your reputation is impacted. We rely on the Xbox community to be our guide in tuning the reputation system and will continue to listen and make improvements to ensure the most effective and transparent system possible.

For more information about the Xbox Live Reputation System, check out this page.

Source

Extinct

Extinct

絶滅
Super Moderators
Content Team
Bug Finder Frame In Gold Glitcher
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Nice, was thinking about posting this when I saw it earlier.

Sallos

Sallos

Stickied Mythical Veteran Bug Finder
Reaction score
Sin$
You know, they say that they work on these things but it can be difficult to notice any adjustments that they make. I'm glad that's it's not as bad as it used to be on the 360.
Anyone else check their feedback page?
24wwlci.jpg

Spooze

Spooze

Xbox Achievement Whore
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Anyone else check their feedback page?
You reported a lot of people.

a9b15acf7f82a2316427fb9321e9d8ff.png
I like how they have "Gamer Picture" as an option, but none of the gamer pics are offensive. Must be tied to the Xbox 360.

It will be interesting to see other peoples feedback.

Cynder

Cynder

Local Weird Guy
AzzidReign Jr Mythical Veteran Donator
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Its nice that you can see whats happening on your account but it also makes you feel empty when there is basically nothing on it, like mine
fe16898874d3069aebe32dcff7a6481f.png

Sallos

Sallos

Reaction score
Sin$
You reported a lot of people.

I like how they have "Gamer Picture" as an option, but none of the gamer pics are offensive. Must be tied to the Xbox 360.

It will be interesting to see other peoples feedback.
I mostly report people that have incredibly stupid gamertags, which there are a lot of unfortunately.
I have no idea how anyone can possibly have an offensive gamerpicture, unless the find another way to glitch a custom one.

Spooze

Spooze

Xbox Achievement Whore
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
I mostly report people that have incredibly stupid gamertags, which there are a lot of unfortunately.
I have no idea how anyone can possibly have an offensive gamerpicture, unless the find another way to glitch a custom one.
Yeah, I mean, on the 360 you could have custom ones that your friends could see, but you needed the Xbox camera and that's not being manufactured anymore. Aside from that, I don't think there's any other way.

Sallos

Sallos

Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, I mean, on the 360 you could have custom ones that your friends could see, but you needed the Xbox camera and that's not being manufactured anymore. Aside from that, I don't think there's any other way.
I really do hope that they will let us have our own custom gamerpictures. I can't stand the gamerpictures they have for us now, they're an eyesore.

danguy2009

danguy2009

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You get bad rep for being muted? some people mute everyone by default or what if your mic has static but nobody bothers to tell you about it?

Sallos

Sallos

Reaction score
Sin$
You get bad rep for being muted? some people mute everyone by default or what if your mic has static but nobody bothers to tell you about it?
I'm certain if someone mutes everyone by default, their feedback will be ignored by the reputation system. Most games have an icon that is displayed somewhere on the screen to indicate your mic is making noise, so it's highly unlikely that you won't notice it.

Spooze

Spooze

Xbox Achievement Whore
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
It would take a lot of mutes to get bad rep. It also sounds like that after a while of not getting muted, it'll reset.

Top Bottom
Login
Register