Tutorial How Sharing Games Works [Explained]

• Thread starter joseole99
  • Start date
  • Views 223,730
Norzy

Norzy

Reaction score
Sin$
I have my friends account as my home xbox and i used his account to get a game from him some time ago, his account is still my home xbox at this moment. (i'm only putting this here cause i'm not sure if it matters.)

I bought destiny on my gamer tag and my brother (we'll call him brother 1) logged in to my account on his xbox and set my account as his home xbox we can now both play destiny because i play from my account. and he has my account as his home xbox.

NOW here is the part where i'm confused and i thought this was possible but i can't seem to get it to work.

My other brother (we'll call him brother 2) just got his xbox 1, i tried to get him the game as well using the same method as brother 1. But when he tries to set my account as his home xbox it says "can't make this your home xbox, you can have one home xbox at a time and switch between consoles up to three times per year" He currently does not have a home xbox set up. Is he not able to get it because Brother 1 already has my account set as the home xbox?

Also how does method 2 work that the OP was referring to?... can someone explain it a different way? sorry for the wall.

joseole99

joseole99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
You can only have one Home Xbox at a time so Brother 1 has it right now so he is able to get the game, this means that if Brother 2 sets your xbox as his home, that will make Brother 1 not have the game.

For method 2, it only benefits the guy how has multiple accounts set as his Home Xbox. So simply, if you set your Xbox as their Home Xbox for both Brother 1 and Brother 2, you will get all of their games but only the one Brother who's Xbox is set as your Home will get your games.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

Norzy

Norzy

Reaction score
Sin$
You can only have one Home Xbox at a time so Brother 1 has it right now so he is able to get the game, this means that if Brother 2 sets your xbox as his home, that will make Brother 1 not have the game.

For method 2, it only benefits the guy how has multiple accounts set as his Home Xbox. So simply, if you set your Xbox as their Home Xbox for both Brother 1 and Brother 2, you will get all of their games but only the one Brother who's Xbox is set as your Home will get your games.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

oh so there is no way to get them both the game from only me owning it. makes sense now thank you.

L

LightYagami123

Reaction score
Sin$
So x1 home console is not like 360? On 360, i would let my bro1 buy digital games using my gt on his console. Then let bro 2 recover my gt on his own console n license transfer. Then i recover my gt back on my 360 n dl game n all 3 of us gets the game.

So if i buy destiny using my gt on bro 1 x1, then Home console on bro2, then dl on my x1 will all of us get destiny?

I remembered on 360, first console the game was digitally dl on, all other gt can play on it without signing in to the gt who purchased the game. Then when i license transferred to my bro2 console it was same thing, he didnt need to sign in as my gt to play the game. But on my console others who want to play the digital game will have to sign in using my gt first.

So can i do 3 way deal with destiny on x1?

xbox760

xbox760

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I just got BF4 Premium for free using this! Thanks again!!

can u explain how a little bit more ? and u must 1st online with ur friend account first or u dont have to ? i hope u uderstand my question , plz do reply

L

LightYagami123

Reaction score
Sin$
I think he did home console with his friend. His friend probably purchased bf4 digitally. Then he recover his friends gt on his own x1. Then while on his friends acct n gt he went into settings on his console n changed it to home console. So whatever games his friend purchased he can dl n wont have to sign in as his friends gt to play.

stunnedjack

stunnedjack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So, my friend and I are sharing games, he got Titanfall from the Xbox one Bundle and I was able to see it on there and download it but it would always say that the other account(his account) needed to finish the download. Long story short it would never finish downloading and then the game disappeared and said that he never purchased it. But on his console and his Xbox it says he has it purchased and installed. I have been confused by this for the longest time now.

Swarm

Swarm

"Hate Us Cus They Ain't Us"
Reaction score
Sin$
Since I gameshared a game to my brother last month, does that mean he cant gameshare to me until 4 months later?
we both have each other's Xbox's set to my home Xbox and he hasn't gameshared at all, so did he use his gameshare when I gameshared that game back in September or does it not work that way?

L

LightYagami123

Reaction score
Sin$
Since I gameshared a game to my brother last month, does that mean he cant gameshare to me until 4 months later?
we both have each other's Xbox's set to my home Xbox and he hasn't gameshared at all, so did he use his gameshare when I gameshared that game back in September or does it not work that way?

it doesnt count like that. Game share aka home console works for individual gamer tag. Each get 3x per year, then u can call or chat to support n they usually reset it for u. Since both u n ur bro home console each other that means both u used it once each already, u each can do it 2x more for the year

Kyrie Irving

Kyrie Irving

Getting There
Seasoned Veteran Grammar Nazi Stickied
Reaction score
Sin$
Its saying I don't own this game. I installed Advanced Warfare. Any solutions?

king_doom

king_doom

Reaction score
Sin$
So i jus downloaded Advanced warfare on my friends account and i have another friend who wants to download it can me and my friend play with the person who originally bought it or just me and the original owner. I'm referring to method 2 i really don't understand it

Aarongdl

Aarongdl

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm borrowing with a friend, but for some reason I have to sign into his profile any time I want to start up AW, then start it, sign out and sign into mine. Anyone know how to fix this so I can stop interrupting his game time? :tongue:

D

dashboardrage

Reaction score
Sin$
I have a question so if I buy Halo MCC and friend gets GTA V we can License transfer with each other? and for method 2 I can let another Friend set my xbox as their home and he can get Halo as well, right?

Another question is if you remove the home console and put someone else's console will the game be unplayable? and when you say you can do it 3 times what does it mean because to my understanding as long as they have your xbox as home console you can get their games for free forever until they change their home console?

WeeGee

WeeGee

One Shot One Kill
Reaction score
Sin$
This does work did it a few days ago. My friend got destiny, madden nfl 15, and minecraft and I got Far Cry 4 and AW.

xRETALQx

xRETALQx

Reaction score
Sin$
Just picked up my XB1 black friday, really looking for Destiny, will be getting more games for my console over time.

Xenadus

Xenadus

Reaction score
Sin$
Not sure if this has been answered.. If I buy two xbox ones and buy AW for example, I set one as my home and then sign into the other.

Could I play AW on both xbox ones at the same time, using the same Gamertag? Or will I have to set up an additional gamertag on the home xbox so both can play AW at the same time.

Simply put, can you play on two xboxes on the same game at the same time with one gamertag?

joseole99

joseole99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Simply put, can you play on two xboxes on the same game at the same time with one gamertag?
You would need two gamertags. Your main one that you do what you asked but then a second one to play on your Home Console with. You're main one should buy the game but then be signed in on the secondary console.

Top Bottom
Login
Register