What's new

Tutorial How I fell back in love with Fallout 4 (In-depth guide to immersive mods)

• Thread starter K i l l a
  • Start date
  • Views 14,722
K i l l a

K i l l a

Thuggin
Services Seasoned Veteran 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
header.jpg

(Let me preface this by saying I have always loved Fallout.
I have a lunchbox sitting in my dorm,
my PC build is Fallout themed,
so long story short I love Fallout.)
So, like most people Fallout 4 was a generally good game, especially for the die-hard fans of the series. We played for hours upon uncountable hours trying not to wither away in the radiation of the Wasteland or die from the various enemies in the Commonwealth that would love nothing more than to personally experience my last breath. After we have shot, explore, and built everything... we look up and dont find the game interesting anymore. No matter how hard we try nothing seems to bring back that once child-like wonder of the Commonwealth that our first play through gave us. I played many different characters with many different types of roles and builds, but after a while the mechanics get bland. I recently discovered modding Fallout 4 on my PS4 while I hadn't built a PC yet. Those mods only gave me a glimpse into what immersion in Fallout 4 really could bring. After a while, I built my glorious PC. I did days upon days of research on how to bring Fallout 4 to be a vigorously gripping, beautiful, brutal, and challenging survival epic that it was meant to be. 30+ Mods later, my dream Fallout came to life. I will be breaking down a few of those key mods to bring to you hopefully a better experience and to inspire you to rediscover what Fallout 4 can offer.

Overhauls:
"Immersive Gameplay"
Ps4/PC/XBox
Nexus Page
Immersive Gameplay is the foundation in what changes the game for me. The biggest thing for me was interaction through combat and how immersive combat became. I no longer had to sling 20+ .308 rounds into a Legendary Gunner I came across wandering the Wastes with his armored-up buddies. The game changes bullet damage and ballistics to be realistic, so gone are the days that a human with no armor can absorb 3-4 .50cal rounds. Humans range in health from 80-120 across the board, including a lowered starting health for your character, so gunfights are about well placed shots and making sure that you arent getting peppered with rounds. If someone charges me with a tire iron, a single round to their leg should stop their sprint, because locational hits on limbs do 25% less damage but are twice as likely to cripple, making this extremely realistic and game-changing in battle. Shots to the torso are extremely lethal and heatshots are an instant kill unless the enemy has a helmet (then it brings into account of DMG Res. on that helmet). The list of changes go on for a bit, and the more and more that you read into it, the more giddy it made me to play. The behavior of enemies are now immersive, smart, and fit their faction mentality. Perks are changed completely to actual tangible real world skills and perks, not fantasy ones. Stimpacks and healing now have debuffs that help but dont make you a tank in battle by being able to pop one after another to be immune to bullets. Every tweak changes the game to make it a game that you take slower and certainly does its job at making each shot that much more rewarding when you take your time to place it.

Visual Enhancements:
"Vogue ENB"
PC

Nexus Page
With almost 300,000 downloads, being the most downloaded ENB in the Nexus, Vogue certainly takes the cake for making the game a stunning and gorgeous world to be in. This too the washed out tones of Fallout 4 and turns it into a vivid, realistic, and atmospheric masterpiece that really makes you stop while roaming the roads of Bostons outskirts to admire the environment. The Depth of Field effect the ENB brings also adds a stunningly great addition to the gameplay by making the visuals as strikingly realistic as possible.

"Vivid Roads and Bridges+Vivid Landscapes"
PC/Xbox

Nexus Page (Roads and Bridges)
Nexus Page (Landscapes)
These mods are simple, take the muddy and sometimes obviously pixelated textures of the things we see most in Fallout 4 and bring them to life to become strikingly real looking additions to the environment, this goes hand in hand with all the environment enhancing mods that are on this list, because you can have great and realistic colors/lighting and have muddy textures to everything that's around you.
"Fallout 4 Seasons"
PC/PS4/Xbox (PS4 version isnt Seasons but there are mods can be found that add trees, grass, and more greenery)
Nexus Page
Fallout 4 Seasons is a project to bring life and seasons back into the Wastes. You would think that 200 years after the bombs dropped the Wasteland would be a little bit more flourishing in the Flora and Fauna department, this mod does exactly that. Adds an abundance of trees, flowers, bushes, grass that make the landscape a beautiful thing to behold. Often times, the beauty that this adds has taken me back with the visuals and how much this adds to the experience of the game.

"Pip-Boy Flashlight"
PC/PS4/XBox

Nexus Page
Pip-Boy Flashlight makes the experience of roaming during the night and exploring darker interiors a memorable experience combined with the Vogue ENB. This mod adds a flashlight effect that casts dynamic shadows instead of the vanilla pip boy that emits a shadow-less light in a 360 degrees fashion. With this mod you really feel like you are embarking into uncharted territory and you are the embodiment of a real survivor and explorer.

"Darker Nights"
PC/PS4/Xbox

Nexus Page
This mod really makes the nights of this game something to be afraid of, combined with the Immersive Gameplay overhaul, Pip-Boy Flashlight, and roaming NPCs you really have to keep your head on a swivel because anything could leap out of the darkness, and its up to you to make sure that you are prepared for anything that could. Darker nights can tweak how you are seen by enemies and how you see enemies as well, making this a real experience changer when all you have is the faint moonlight and your pip boy light to light your way.

"Vivid Weathers"
PC/XBox

Nexus Page
Vivid Weathers goes hand-in-hand in making Vogue ENB look its best and makes the setting of the game being a dreary and brutal setting in a post-apocalyptic world come to life. The rain immerses you in its dreary atmosphere, clear days make you feel like you in a place of perfection, and the fog during the night makes you not being able to see an enemy at all beyond 5 feet in front of you truly terrifying.

Weapon Enhancements:
"See-Through Scopes"
PC/Ps4/XBox

Nexus Page
See Through Scopes adds immersive and realistic scopes to the game, taking away the bland combat scopes and replacing the one-dimensional sniper scopes with the black outline. Combat scopes and sniper scopes are available in 2.5x magnification all the way up to 8x. this mod also lets you change cross-hair and reticle combinations to your liking for your perfect target acquisition experience. this mod is an absolute staple to stepping up your experience for fallout, and you will often see it in "top" mod lists online.

"Cut Weapon mods Restored"
PC

Nexus Page
CWMR is a wonderful mod that takes weapon modding back to what Bethesda originally planned for it to be, mostly with a few extra attachments you may find useful for a good number of weapons. This mod adds attachments like a drum mag for the Combat Rifle, a bipod stick for the Hunting Rifle, and much more!

(I WILL BE CONTINUING TO ADD A LOT MORE SECTIONS AND MODS THAT I USE!!)

Adolfin

Adolfin

Your Mom's Favourite VIP
VIP
Retired
Odysseus' Summit End of the Year 2018 Platinum Record
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
header.jpg

(Let me preface this by saying I have always loved Fallout.
I have a lunchbox sitting in my dorm,
my PC build is Fallout themed,
so long story short I love Fallout.)
So, like most people Fallout 4 was a generally good game, especially for the die-hard fans of the series. We played for hours upon uncountable hours trying not to wither away in the radiation of the Wasteland or die from the various enemies in the Commonwealth that would love nothing more than to personally experience my last breath. After we have shot, explore, and built everything... we look up and dont find the game interesting anymore. No matter how hard we try nothing seems to bring back that once child-like wonder of the Commonwealth that our first play through gave us. I played many different characters with many different types of roles and builds, but after a while the mechanics get bland. I recently discovered modding Fallout 4 on my PS4 while I hadn't built a PC yet. Those mods only gave me a glimpse into what immersion in Fallout 4 really could bring. After a while, I built my glorious PC. I did days upon days of research on how to bring Fallout 4 to be a vigorously gripping, beautiful, brutal, and challenging survival epic that it was meant to be. 30+ Mods later, my dream Fallout came to life. I will be breaking down a few of those key mods to bring to you hopefully a better experience and to inspire you to rediscover what Fallout 4 can offer.

Overhauls:
"Immersive Gameplay"
Ps4/PC/XBox
Nexus Page
Immersive Gameplay is the foundation in what changes the game for me. The biggest thing for me was interaction through combat and how immersive combat became. I no longer had to sling 20+ .308 rounds into a Legendary Gunner I came across wandering the Wastes with his armored-up buddies. The game changes bullet damage and ballistics to be realistic, so gone are the days that a human with no armor can absorb 3-4 .50cal rounds. Humans range in health from 80-120 across the board, including a lowered starting health for your character, so gunfights are about well placed shots and making sure that you arent getting peppered with rounds. If someone charges me with a tire iron, a single round to their leg should stop their sprint, because locational hits on limbs do 25% less damage but are twice as likely to cripple, making this extremely realistic and game-changing in battle. Shots to the torso are extremely lethal and heatshots are an instant kill unless the enemy has a helmet (then it brings into account of DMG Res. on that helmet). The list of changes go on for a bit, and the more and more that you read into it, the more giddy it made me to play. The behavior of enemies are now immersive, smart, and fit their faction mentality. Perks are changed completely to actual tangible real world skills and perks, not fantasy ones. Stimpacks and healing now have debuffs that help but dont make you a tank in battle by being able to pop one after another to be immune to bullets. Every tweak changes the game to make it a game that you take slower and certainly does its job at making each shot that much more rewarding when you take your time to place it.

Visual Enhancements:
"Vogue ENB"
PC

Nexus Page
With almost 300,000 downloads, being the most downloaded ENB in the Nexus, Vogue certainly takes the cake for making the game a stunning and gorgeous world to be in. This too the washed out tones of Fallout 4 and turns it into a vivid, realistic, and atmospheric masterpiece that really makes you stop while roaming the roads of Bostons outskirts to admire the environment. The Depth of Field effect the ENB brings also adds a stunningly great addition to the gameplay by making the visuals as strikingly realistic as possible.

"Vivid Roads and Bridges+Vivid Landscapes"
PC/Xbox

Nexus Page (Roads and Bridges)
Nexus Page (Landscapes)
These mods are simple, take the muddy and sometimes obviously pixelated textures of the things we see most in Fallout 4 and bring them to life to become strikingly real looking additions to the environment, this goes hand in hand with all the environment enhancing mods that are on this list, because you can have great and realistic colors/lighting and have muddy textures to everything that's around you.
"Fallout 4 Seasons"
PC/PS4/Xbox (PS4 version isnt Seasons but there are mods can be found that add trees, grass, and more greenery)
Nexus Page
Fallout 4 Seasons is a project to bring life and seasons back into the Wastes. You would think that 200 years after the bombs dropped the Wasteland would be a little bit more flourishing in the Flora and Fauna department, this mod does exactly that. Adds an abundance of trees, flowers, bushes, grass that make the landscape a beautiful thing to behold. Often times, the beauty that this adds has taken me back with the visuals and how much this adds to the experience of the game.

"Pip-Boy Flashlight"
PC/PS4/XBox

Nexus Page
Pip-Boy Flashlight makes the experience of roaming during the night and exploring darker interiors a memorable experience combined with the Vogue ENB. This mod adds a flashlight effect that casts dynamic shadows instead of the vanilla pip boy that emits a shadow-less light in a 360 degrees fashion. With this mod you really feel like you are embarking into uncharted territory and you are the embodiment of a real survivor and explorer.

"Darker Nights"
PC/PS4/Xbox

Nexus Page
This mod really makes the nights of this game something to be afraid of, combined with the Immersive Gameplay overhaul, Pip-Boy Flashlight, and roaming NPCs you really have to keep your head on a swivel because anything could leap out of the darkness, and its up to you to make sure that you are prepared for anything that could. Darker nights can tweak how you are seen by enemies and how you see enemies as well, making this a real experience changer when all you have is the faint moonlight and your pip boy light to light your way.

"Vivid Weathers"
PC/XBox

Nexus Page
Vivid Weathers goes hand-in-hand in making Vogue ENB look its best and makes the setting of the game being a dreary and brutal setting in a post-apocalyptic world come to life. The rain immerses you in its dreary atmosphere, clear days make you feel like you in a place of perfection, and the fog during the night makes you not being able to see an enemy at all beyond 5 feet in front of you truly terrifying.

Weapon Enhancements:
"See-Through Scopes"
PC/Ps4/XBox

Nexus Page
See Through Scopes adds immersive and realistic scopes to the game, taking away the bland combat scopes and replacing the one-dimensional sniper scopes with the black outline. Combat scopes and sniper scopes are available in 2.5x magnification all the way up to 8x. this mod also lets you change cross-hair and reticle combinations to your liking for your perfect target acquisition experience. this mod is an absolute staple to stepping up your experience for fallout, and you will often see it in "top" mod lists online.

"Cut Weapon mods Restored"
PC

Nexus Page
CWMR is a wonderful mod that takes weapon modding back to what Bethesda originally planned for it to be, mostly with a few extra attachments you may find useful for a good number of weapons. This mod adds attachments like a drum mag for the Combat Rifle, a bipod stick for the Hunting Rifle, and much more!

(I WILL BE CONTINUING TO ADD A LOT MORE SECTIONS AND MODS THAT I USE!!)
There's some very nice mods on this list, most of which I have tried out on Xbox. Since I only play on the Xbox One and I am restricted to 2GB worth of mods, my load order is mostly taken up by building mods since that is what I spend my time doing the most. After 500+ hours of playtime, I still love hopping on the game and taking my time building with all of the modded items at my disposal.

M0B5TA

M0B5TA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
this post got me back into fallout. I finished the game before mods(xbox) playing over the game with some of these mods is amazing.

Sync

Sync

Nine Meals From Anarchy
Retired
End of the Year 2013 Mythical Veteran Scaling the Mountain
Reaction score
Sin$
Guess I'll be playing fallout again now after reading this. Good stuff bud.

Vegeta

Vegeta

宇宙のマスター
Super Moderators
VIP
MotM Trifecta Diamonds Are Forever
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Damn, just came across this thread as I was starting my second playthrough and wanted to completely overhaul the game second time around but a lot of these are outdated. I guess I'll need to put in some effort and find the updated mods (implying they still have developer support).

Top Bottom
Login
Register