• Views 32,271
Status
Not open for further replies.
MoNsT3R R4P1Dz

brooky325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i know if you download someones profile then download a game they bought on another console you have to sign into there account then when the game has loaded you sign out and into your account,
but if you do a license transfer you can play it without having to sign into there profile...

does that mean once have done it on there xbox do they have to be connected to xbox live to play the game or does there xbox still know they bought it and let them play it offline??

Superman

Superman

Phenomenal.
Legendary Veteran Reporter Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Xbox 360 Digital Rights Management

What is Digital Rights Management?

Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology is used by content providers, such as Xbox LIVE Marketplace, to control how game and video files are used and distributed. Xbox LIVE Marketplace sells and rents DRM-protected videos, games, and add-in content that are covered by media usage rights that allow specific uses of that content.
When you purchase content, you receive a license to use that content. The license has two parts: the system license and the local license. The system license applies to the gamertag that purchases the content, and the local license applies to the console where you first downloaded the content.

Transfer content licenses

You can transfer content licenses from one console to another once every four months.
If your console was recently repaired, or if you’ve purchased a new console, use the license transfer option on your console to transfer content licenses. Here’s how:
    1. On your console, sign in to Xbox LIVE using the gamertag that you used to purchase the content.

1. Go to the Settings, and then select Account.

1. Go to Your Billing Options, and then select License Transfer.

1. Follow the on-screen instructions to transfer the content licenses.

After the licenses are transferred, you need to download the content again to update the local licenses. This way the content can be used by other profiles on your console and when you’re not connected to Xbox LIVE.
For information about how to download previously purchased content, please see Buy and redownload content from Xbox LIVE.

What is protected content?

Protected content is any game, video, or add-in that uses Digital Rights Management protection. To play a protected game, video, or add-in, you must have the media usage rights for that content.
Examples of protected content
  • Games
  • TV shows
  • Movies
  • Music videos
  • Game add-in content

What is a license?

A license is another name for media usage rights.

How does the Xbox 360 console use media usage rights?

When you try to use a protected game, video, or add-in, the Xbox 360 console checks whether you have a valid license for that piece of content. If the media usage rights allow you to use the content, the Xbox 360 console plays the content or allows use of the add-in.
If the Xbox 360 console does not find valid media usage rights for the content or if the rights do not let you perform the action, your Xbox 360 console does not perform the action. Typically, you receive an error message that states why the action is not performed.

How do I obtain licenses for content?

Licenses are automatically acquired when you download content. If a license is missing or has become corrupted, you can access the download history on your Xbox 360 console and redownload that content to reacquire a license. This process refreshes existing licenses and does not transfer licenses to a new console, unless the license transfer tool was used first.

What is a "roaming" Xbox 360 console?

The term “roaming” refers to using content that you purchased on one Xbox 360 console on another Xbox 360 console. For example, you may download a game from Xbox LIVE Games store to your Xbox 360 console. You may then take the hard drive that contains that game and attach the drive to another console. When you attach the hard drive and sign in to Xbox LIVE, you can play the game without any restrictions.
Note For such roaming to be allowed, you must be connected to Xbox LIVE by using the profile that purchased the content so that the usage rights can be verified.

Source: http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/marketplace-and-purchasing/download-content

You basically copy the DLC from another Xbox360, to yours. Just download the profile that has the DLC on the Xbox360 that needs the DLC, then go to Licence Transfer once the profile is recovered. Then you automatically get to Download History. Here you can download the DLC that you want to transfer from the Profile, to your Xbox360. Click the DLC -> Download.
If you're done downloading you can play the DLC on any profile on that Xbox360.

Macklemore

IRUINEDCOD4

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
it copies hardware from one account to another much like copy n paste. HOPE IT HELPED:smile:

MoNsT3R R4P1Dz

brooky325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
so say i have 2 offline xbox's box 1 has downloaded and can play it offline and box 2 cant so i license transfer so box 2 can play offline but box one now has to be connected?

Saturday Night

Big Macs

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
so say i have 2 offline xbox's box 1 has downloaded and can play it offline and box 2 cant so i license transfer so box 2 can play offline but box one now has to be connected?

No. If your one Xbox currently has all the licenses, you then do a liscense transfer on your other Xbox. Therefore both Xboxs would have liscense to the games/dlc. So you can use both offline if you'd like too, as long as you did a liscense transfer.

B

Buzz Lightyear

Young Moolah Baby
VIP
Retired
Sinner
Reaction score
Sin$
So you can use both offline if you'd like too
False.

The console which has the licenses can access content online and offline, while the console that use to have the licenses can only access content while connected to Xbox LIVE, with the profile that originally purchased the content.

Both consoles can't access the content offline, since the license does not exist in both places.

Saturday Night

Big Macs

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
False.

The console which has the licenses can access content online and offline, while the console that use to have the licenses can only access content while connected to Xbox LIVE, with the profile that originally purchased the content.

Both consoles can't access the content offline, since the license does not exist in both places.

Wrong, as long as he liscense transferred to his other Xbox and redownloaded everything, he can use the content offline on both. I have 2 Xboxs that I did this same process and I can play any of my games offline if I choose to. The only time he'll need to be connected to LIVE is if he's "roaming"(which doesn't involve a liscense transfer). So as long as one Xbox had the liscenses and did a successful liscense transfer with the other, he can play both offline. I transfer 3 different accounts to both my Xboxs. Only reason is if I purchase stuff on different accounts, I have shorter wait periods to liscense transfer my content to the other Xbox which doesn't have the liscense yet. I do it all the time so I know it works.

B

Buzz Lightyear

Young Moolah Baby
VIP
Retired
Sinner
Reaction score
Sin$
I do it all the time so I know it works.
Obviously you don't.

Note If you recently transferred content to a new console, you can play the content on your new console if you sign in using the gamertag that originally purchased the content. If you want to use the transferred content without signing into Xbox LIVE or with a different gamertag, you’ll need to transfer the content licences to your new console. For information on how to do this, please see Xbox 360 Digital Rights Management.
See? If you want to use it offline or with a different gamertag, a license transfer is required. You can't access anything offline as your XBLA games will show as trials, so how you do this all the time and it works has really got me thinking how I've been spreading false information on support forums for over 4 years.

J

Joab Martinez

Reaction score
Sin$
License Transfer is when you have one xbox but then you buy another and when you transfer your license to the new console you can download everything that you downloaded before

Saturday Night

Big Macs

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Obviously you don't.

See? If you want to use it offline or with a different gamertag, a license transfer is required. You can't access anything offline as your XBLA games will show as trials, so how you do this all the time and it works has really got me thinking how I've been spreading false information on support forums for over 4 years.

Obviously you didn't read what posted. At first it talks about transferring(just copying data, no liscense - ex. Throwing a game on a USB and transferring it to Xbox #2). After that part it says if you DON'T want to be signed into Live, you must liscense transfer.

If you really don't believe me, I can disconnect both my Xboxs from the Internet, record video of both Xboxs playing the same exact content while both offline, content being from the same account. Reason it'll work is because I liscense transferred. You saying I don't know something that I do EVERY 3 months or so makes me believe you know nothing on liscense transferring. You ever do it yourself? As long as he doesn't delete the purchased content from Xbox #1, and then does a liscense transfer to Xbox #2 and redownloads everything, he WILL be able to play both offline if he chooses.

Also why you disagreeing with me when everything you posted is pretty much what I explained above a few posts ago. I really don't understand the point your tryin to get across.

bigfelon96

bigfelon96

Reaction score
Sin$
Question.
If me and my friend do a transfer of black ops zombies map packs. (He Boughy them and I'm gonna transfer them on my Xbox) will he still be able yo use the dlc too. I.e. both of us online playing together after the transfer?

I would appreciate it if u could email me your response at [email protected] for quicker viewing

Or even text
623 282 0399

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register