Reaction score
Hello I got an iPhone today which is an iPhone 3GS on iOS 4.3.3 and Cydia 1.1.6
I think I need to upgrade to iOS6? can anyone help me here? cheeers

G

gravemind1753

Reaction score
Hello I got an iPhone today which is an iPhone 3GS on iOS 4.3.3 and Cydia 1.1.6
I think I need to upgrade to iOS6? can anyone help me here? cheeers

Well there are a couple of things you can do. You can just stay on the firmware you are already on, or you can update. If you choose to update there are two things you can do: update through iTunes or download the IPSW for the firmware you want then restore update your new phone. If you need help let me know :smile:

N

Novaa

Reaction score
Well there are a couple of things you can do. You can just stay on the firmware you are already on, or you can update. If you choose to update there are two things you can do: update through iTunes or download the IPSW for the firmware you want then restore update your new phone. If you need help let me know :smile:
I need to update I think, I can't use many apps because of the iOS version I'm on I believe lol. If you update on iTunes does it update properly mate?

G

gravemind1753

Reaction score
I need to update I think, I can't use many apps because of the iOS version I'm on I believe lol. If you update on iTunes does it update properly mate?

Well iTunes would update you to the latest firmware. I'm not sure if that's 6.1.3 or 6.1.2. Just to be safe I suggest you download the iOS 6.1.2 IPSW and restore to that IPSW through iTunes. iOS 6.1.2 is currently jailbreakable and iOS 6.1.3 is not. So it's a matter of preference at this point. If you would like to jailbreak now or sometime in the near future then update to the iOS 6.1.2 IPSW, if you are totally against jailbreaking then update to iOS 6.1.3 through iTunes (just click the update button in iTunes and it will automatically download and install the newest firmware version).

J

Josef Stalin

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
You would need to shift and restore to iOS 6.1.2 cause 6.1.3 is not jailbreakable

N

Novaa

Reaction score
Well iTunes would update you to the latest firmware. I'm not sure if that's 6.1.3 or 6.1.2. Just to be safe I suggest you download the iOS 6.1.2 IPSW and restore to that IPSW through iTunes. iOS 6.1.2 is currently jailbreakable and iOS 6.1.3 is not. So it's a matter of preference at this point. If you would like to jailbreak now or sometime in the near future then update to the iOS 6.1.2 IPSW, if you are totally against jailbreaking then update to iOS 6.1.3 through iTunes (just click the update button in iTunes and it will automatically download and install the newest firmware version).
Ok, so I need iOS 6.1.2 IPSW? Where can I get this from? Sorry it's the first time I've had an iPhone haha

N

Novaa

Reaction score
Here is the link for the IPSW for iOS 6.1.2 for the iPhone 3GS: http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS6.1/091-0744.20130215.2E34r/iPhone2,1_6.1.2_10B146_Restore.ipsw
Just download that and as J Josef Stalin said, hold the shift button (if on windows) or the alt button (if on Mac) and click the restore button then select the downloaded IPSW file and iTunes will do the rest. Just make sure you back up your phone before you update.
Cheers, I ended updating it to 6.1.2 via iTunes.. gonna jailbreak it again with evasi0n? Do I need to back up my phone? Cos I don't have anything on there lol...

G

gravemind1753

Reaction score
Cheers, I ended updating it to 6.1.2 via iTunes.. gonna jailbreak it again with evasi0n? Do I need to back up my phone? Cos I don't have anything on there lol...

Well if there is nothing on there then you don't have to worry about it haha
Yes, you will use evasi0n to jailbreak.

Top Bottom