What's new

Solved How do I RROD without voiding warranty?

• Thread starter Spades Neil
  • Start date
  • Views 1,547
S

Spades Neil

Reaction score
Sin$
I've been lurking for a while, found a couple ideas.

Right now I have my box (already) to ship it back to Xbox. I also have the whole damn thing wrapped in blankets, letting it sit on the dashboard.

Anyways, everything that CAN go wrong with my Xbox, HAS gone wrong, EXCEPT the red ring. -_- It's kinda pissing me off.

Rather than pay a $99 rip off, I'd rather make them give me a new one for free. So, what should I do?

I haven't heard any stories of any methods working just yet. Anyone able to at least make the claim that they've RROD'd it intentionally and gotten a new one?

I'd like to avoid popping off a RAM chip because with my luck I'll just **** it up more and void the warranty rather than bypass it.

Spades Neil said:
Right now I have my box (already) to ship it back to Xbox.

Excuse me... Typo... To ship it back to Microsoft.

T

Twis7eD

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
Popping off some RAM is the best way to do it. I know you said you will think that you will mess it up, but it's extremely easy. Just take apart your Xbox, making sure that you take off your warranty sticker very nicely(use a blow dryer) and pop off some RAM. Then put it back together and put your warranty sticker back on and send it in. Every other way is not 100% to get RRoD or keep it.

T

Twis7eD

Banned
Reaction score
Sin$
MattLoaf said:
Moar blankets and make it process more, play a DVD or a game.
That's a terrible idea. You'll just end up ruining the DVD or game. Don't even wrap it in blankets because that's only a temporary RRoD.

Forgoten Dynasty

Forgoten Dynasty

Free Sosa #bangbang
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
just say you have the RROD and send it in.
Half the time when i got it i was only like after an hour of play then it would freeze then the next time i would turn it on it would RROD.

Trust me they dont have someone sitting their playing every xbox that comes in for a few hours to make sure it actually has the RROD. They just assume it does and fix it as if it does.

Fail Troll

Fail Troll

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Spades Neil said:
I've been lurking for a while, found a couple ideas.

Right now I have my box (already) to ship it back to Xbox. I also have the whole damn thing wrapped in blankets, letting it sit on the dashboard.

Anyways, everything that CAN go wrong with my Xbox, HAS gone wrong, EXCEPT the red ring. -_- It's kinda pissing me off.

Rather than pay a $99 rip off, I'd rather make them give me a new one for free. So, what should I do?

I haven't heard any stories of any methods working just yet. Anyone able to at least make the claim that they've RROD'd it intentionally and gotten a new one?

I'd like to avoid popping off a RAM chip because with my luck I'll just **** it up more and void the warranty rather than bypass it.

Excuse me... Typo... To ship it back to Microsoft.

Take a blowdryer and put it on high. Circle around the warranty sticker for about four minutes. Then take wax paper (The piece that is left when you peel off a sticker) Slip it under the bottom of the warranty sticker and slowly keep pushing it up and you will see the warranty sticker slide off onto the wax paper. Then put it somewhere safe. Take apart your xbox. Force RRoD. Peel off warranty sticker and put it back on. WIN.

S

Spades Neil

Reaction score
Sin$
Forgoten Dynasty said:
just say you have the RROD and send it in.
Half the time when i got it i was only like after an hour of play then it would freeze then the next time i would turn it on it would RROD.

Trust me they dont have someone sitting their playing every xbox that comes in for a few hours to make sure it actually has the RROD. They just assume it does and fix it as if it does.

What I'm nervous about is whether or not they actually have any way of checking that...

I put it in the freezer. My dad actually lol'd and helped me make room for it. After pulling it out of the freezer, it SOUNDED broken, but this morning, it's pretty much laughing at me like, "Haha n00b, I'm not RROD yet!"

It may inevitably come to me trying to pop off a RAM chip, but do they even have a method of checking for RROD? Last thing I want is for them to return it followed by a letter *****ing me out and saying I'm no longer covered for RROD.

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Spades Neil said:
What I'm nervous about is whether or not they actually have any way of checking that...

I put it in the freezer. My dad actually lol'd and helped me make room for it. After pulling it out of the freezer, it SOUNDED broken, but this morning, it's pretty much laughing at me like, "Haha n00b, I'm not RROD yet!"

It may inevitably come to me trying to pop off a RAM chip, but do they even have a method of checking for RROD? Last thing I want is for them to return it followed by a letter *****ing me out and saying I'm no longer covered for RROD.
How many times did you put it in the freezer then overheat it then freeze it again?

The whole point of that is to thermally shock it. It will break after a few times.

Also as long as your 360 is less than 3 years old you are covered for 3 red lights. I have sent in many 360s with popped off ram chips and got them back fixed. As long as you make the sticker look clean you will be getting a new one.

S

Spades Neil

Reaction score
Sin$
EclipseModz said:
How many times did you put it in the freezer then overheat it then freeze it again?

The whole point of that is to thermally shock it. It will break after a few times.

Also as long as your 360 is less than 3 years old you are covered for 3 red lights. I have sent in many 360s with popped off ram chips and got them back fixed. As long as you make the sticker look clean you will be getting a new one.

That depends on what you mean by "three years."

Have I owned an Xbox for more than three years? Yes.

Have I owned THIS Xbox for more than three years? No.

However, Microsoft doesn't seem to be able to tell the difference. Still, I'm covered because of legal crap. I'm thinking of threatening to sue under Consumer's Rights laws because I bought a warranty with my original Xbox which died of E74 (RROD'd first time I turned it on, but I played it until GTA4 came out and delivered the final blow) and lost it with this one.

ZombieKing said:
wahahahaha in the freezer lmao thats epic :mellow: you are a legend haha that made my day :w00t:

XD Yea... My Xbox didn't like me very much after that. It turned on and started growling at me. X3

Next day though it was fine again, so I think I have to do it a few more times.

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Spades Neil said:
That depends on what you mean by "three years."
Actually no it doesn't...

Go back and read what i put. I clearly said, "If your 360 is less than 3 years old."

Meaning if your 360's life from the manufacture date is LESS THAN 3 YEARS OLD...

S

Spades Neil

Reaction score
Sin$
EclipseModz said:
Actually no it doesn't...

Go back and read what i put. I clearly said, "If your 360 is less than 3 years old."

Meaning if your 360's life from the manufacture date is LESS THAN 3 YEARS OLD...

Then yes, it is, and the bastards are telling me I no longer have a warranty.

RROD is covered anyways though.

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Standard warranty is expired..

3 Red lights and E74 are covered for 3 years from the manufacture date.

Top Bottom
Login
Register