How do i make a sata hdd a C drive?

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by RvB rox, Dec 15, 2008 with 3 replies and 106 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RvB rox

RvB rox Member

Ratings:
    i just got a new 640gb harddrive that is sata. i am installing xp on it now, but the thing is, is that i wont be my C:/
    apparently it is going to be an I:/
    my dad has had problems with this before with his 500gb hdd so one day he tried installing it on his C:/ (he had another hdd in) dragging it onto his F:/ (thats what it was for him) and then changing the location in the registry for C:/ to F:/ and it. and then for some reason it never really booted up

how can i make the I:/ a C:/

2. Bac0n

Bac0n Seasoned Member

Ratings:
    Remove all your hard drives, and media card readers. install windows to the new hard drive, then reconnect the other drives and give them a new drive letter. The drive you installed windows to should now be C

3. OP
    RvB rox

RvB rox Member

Ratings:
    already tried that and its i.

4. confused5

confused5 Enthusiast

Ratings:
    It it's your primary drive it shouldn't really matter...you could try setting the drive to slave and inserting another hd with xp on it, reformat the sata drive and assign it to C:/ then install windows on it; if you have to reformat for NTFS then it should still show up as C:/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.