• Thread starter Hunter_Customs
  • Start date
  • Views 1,306
Hunter_Customs

Hunter_Customs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
i got a used Xbox one S from a pawn shop, they sold it as broken, and I wanted to try and fix it, when I first booted the console everything was fine so I updated the console, but when I put my Xbox 360 BO2 disc in the console, started to install the game after about 24% the console just shutdown, so I waited a little then tried to turn it on power was delivered to the console but turned off in the middle of the boot screen, took out disc did same thing, unplugged for an hour same thing. So I’m opening up the console later today. Where do I check for the shorts? Yes I have multimeter

S

schitzotm

Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
This actually sounds like the fan in the power supply has failed.
Likely the problem. Just replace the power supply. You can find them on amazon for 40 bucks or from china for 18 bucks.
https://www.newfrog.com/product/oem...MIj83u3evE3gIVBY1-Ch0Dhg2CEAQYAiABEgJzUfD_BwE
You are booting up and the power supply is heating up then shutting down. Unplug the console for 24 hours then boot again. If you last a while then shut back off and the next boot is almost instant shut off the. This is almost always the cause. Just replace it and move on.

Hunter_Customs

Hunter_Customs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
This actually sounds like the fan in the power supply has failed.
Likely the problem. Just replace the power supply. You can find them on amazon for 40 bucks or from china for 18 bucks.
https://www.newfrog.com/product/oem...MIj83u3evE3gIVBY1-Ch0Dhg2CEAQYAiABEgJzUfD_BwE
You are booting up and the power supply is heating up then shutting down. Unplug the console for 24 hours then boot again. If you last a while then shut back off and the next boot is almost instant shut off the. This is almost always the cause. Just replace it and move on.
Ok awesome I’ll leave it off for a while and check it tomorrow, thank you

Hunter_Customs

Hunter_Customs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Just replaced the power unit and its still shutting down on me after a while temp of PSU is 80F, HDD is 78.2F, heat sink is 79.7F, This is all open casing

Claws

Claws

Skepta <3
Retired
Lifetime
Journalist Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime Stickied
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Just replaced the power unit and its still shutting down on me after a while temp of PSU is 80F, HDD is 78.2F, heat sink is 79.7F, This is all open casing
So it does sound like there is a thermal issue due to the fact that it's taking a while to shut down, and then shutting off instantly after that. There's also always the chance that, much like the old xbox had as well, the thermal paste on the heat sink is not properly conducting heat anymore, which would also cause a thermal shutdown. I'd recommend checking out youtube for Xbone thermal paste replacement (or you can check this one out that I'll link)

Also, just to make sure all of the bases are covered, make sure the heatsink fan is indeed running already. You can also take a compressed air can and clean out the heatsink for extra measures since.

Hunter_Customs

Hunter_Customs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
So it does sound like there is a thermal issue due to the fact that it's taking a while to shut down, and then shutting off instantly after that. There's also always the chance that, much like the old xbox had as well, the thermal paste on the heat sink is not properly conducting heat anymore, which would also cause a thermal shutdown. I'd recommend checking out youtube for Xbone thermal paste replacement (or you can check this one out that I'll link)

Also, just to make sure all of the bases are covered, make sure the heatsink fan is indeed running already. You can also take a compressed air can and clean out the heatsink for extra measures since.

I was thinking the same thing just waiting for my arctic silver to arrive! report back in a couple of days

Hunter_Customs

Hunter_Customs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Good to hear! Of that's not it, I'll have to think some more, but that seems about what would cause it.
ok got the thermal paste, just left the console on the main screen after about an hour it blacked out and temps are 77.9F heat sink and 74.8 for fan. I was looking around online and found that it might be the mobo causing the problem

Hunter_Customs

Hunter_Customs

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I have checked everything I could think of, Im going to get get another one from a pawn shop or just buy a new mobo and DVD from ebay (only $110)

Top Bottom
Login
Register