What's new

How did you get into Coding? And how long ago?

L

Label

Enthusiast
Modder
Reaction score
Sin$
Well guys, i want to here how you guys got into coding and how long ago? :biggrin:

Null Pointer X

Null Pointer X

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
1. Coded for an online game, but it taught me basic syntax and the such. Was in a form of Lua. (About 3 years ago)

2. Learned C (Yes, the original C) because I was told it would give me a great background in coding. (about 2(1/2) years ago)

3. Learned Java by myself, REALLY nice programming language for everything but graphics. Set me off on a good leg for everything else. (about 2 years ago)

4. Learned C++. Mainly for my CS1 class, but also for programming on the Source engine. (about 1 year ago)

5. Learned HTML, JS, PHP. Not really good at any of them, but I do know the basics. (About 3 months ago)

Interested to hear other people's stories.

DARK MODZ

DARK MODZ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
cod 5 dark modz amazing auto patch mw2 dark modz amazing auto patch cod 4 wreckless ams patch so about 1 year ago.

JesseJtag

JesseJtag

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I was an Ub3r leech and wanted some rep, made a patch and BAM! I found the cream filling.

Cmitch55

Cmitch55

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Took Visual Basic 1 and 2 at my school this year really liked it and will be taking AP computer science in the gall then looking to go to college for it. Taught myself some C++ can't wait to learn more :biggrin:

Calamity

Calamity

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
No offense, but one month of coding does not make you a coder, you may get a jist of it and can put things together and edit already created works, but I doubt you full understand code.

I started back in August when I got a co-op job (half day at school, half at work) working for a software company. It's pretty much 100% on the job experience, so basically until around February when I actually started "real" work for the company (working fulltime/throughout college as well, win), I learned, and learned, and learned...I've also been taking a Java class as well, and I program a lot on my free time, mainly just to learn new s*** that'll benefit me later on.

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Programmer Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Started 6 years ago. Learning c#. Teaching myself. w.e. Got into making halo 2 modding programs. Got some help by some friends of mine (lux ur amazing). Since then, just been coding new things in c#.

GoldBl4d3

GoldBl4d3

VIP
VIP
Retired
Programmer Mythical Veteran Legendary Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Started 6 years ago. Learning c#. Teaching myself. w.e. Got into making halo 2 modding programs. Got some help by some friends of mine (lux ur amazing). Since then, just been coding new things in c#.

Wheen

Wheen

Bytesexual
Retired
Programmer Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
I enrolled in an "Introduction to Computer Programming" class first semester. We didn't learn much in the class, but we learned the basics of Java, and it gave me enough of a base so that I understood most of the logic behind it (Like OOP, for example) but I knew almost no syntax. So I just started watching some of TheNewBoston's stuff to learn the syntax. It worked kinda well, but I always found myself going back to each individual tutorial to learn the specific syntax. Eventually, I found my dad's old Java book and read it through. Helped me a lot. Now I'm moving more into C++ development, and I've got a good bit of background in C#.

B

-Blackstorm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I really don't know much about C, but I have been modding MW2 GSC if that even counts? :rolleyes:

I searched up "MW2 Aimbot" in youtube.... That's how it all started.

I've been doing this since summer of last year. ((:

To be honest, I've gotten REALLY good since then.

Z

Zer0-One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Sin$
I started learning VB .NET a loooong time ago. About 6 years, like GoldBl4d3. then after a long lull, i picked up again, but with C#, and then 2/3 years later (a few months ago) I taught myself C++.

I can't remember why I started programming in the first place. Unfortunately, I don't remember much of my childhood. I'm not sure why. But I can tell you that once I picked up C#, I enjoyed it. A lot. I used to make these silly apps, like a fake login screen with the username/pass hardcoded in, or an app that copies your text and adds funny words to it, or little calculator apps. I loved the idea of being able to make whatever I wanted, and I loved the fact that no-one else I knew understood code like I did.

Eventually I got better, and started coding things like an app that did my physics homework, a phisher that stole saved firefox usernames/passwords (I still get phished accounts in the mail to this day. lol), my own version of notepad, complete with all kinds of encryption/decryption features, and many more little fun apps.

Now I code because I want to make it my living. I enjoy doing it, and am majoring in Computer Science with a minor in computer Engineering.

S

Supermodder911

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Halo 2 for me as well. I started off with C# and learned c++ along the way as well as learned a few asm languages. Also, I haven't talked to Lux in a while.. Me wonders what he's up to nowadays.

Andzrej

AndzrejGFX

Contributor
Hardened Veteran Grammar Nazi Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
Sin$
Got interested in coding, about a 5 months or so ago.
-Learned in VB 6.0 from my community college
-Learning C++ by myself now that I understand programming mroe.

ds7630

DiGiTaL sPiTT

Contributor
Programmer Free Hoster Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I started 3 years ago modding a PC Game with Visual Basic.

L

Luxurious Meat

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Not to be cocky, but I sorta guessed I woulda came up in this topic haha. But on topic about 5 or 6 years ago for Halo 2 modding. Was taught by Anthony( aka xxANTMANxx back then), and pretty much taught myself after he helped me in the beginning. Started with VB for a few months and moved to C#. Haven't programmed much as of late, though. Been to busy with work and such.

lee74saurus r3x

lee74saurus r3x

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Let's see...

beginning of 2010 - started programming basic MW2 patches
mid 2010 - a lot more advanced patches, got paid to make some custom ones
3/4 through 2010 - after the hype about MW2 died down, I started VB
towards the end of 2010 - took a break from programming
beginning 2011 - started c#, been doing so till now

generalgreavis

generalgreavis

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
yeh well i started 4 days ago because we are making xna games for xbox at school :biggrin:
so im new and over the past few days ive just been experimenting with c# (in microsoft visual studio)

Asphyxia

Asphyxia

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I started about 4 years ago, started developing websites using basic HTML. Then I got into some Java with runescape private servers :lol: Now I'm a senior with 2 years of software and web development experience from school heading to college to major in software engineering :smile:

No offense, but one month of coding does not make you a coder, you may get a jist of it and can put things together and edit already created works, but I doubt you full understand code.

I started back in August when I got a co-op job (half day at school, half at work) working for a software company. It's pretty much 100% on the job experience, so basically until around February when I actually started "real" work for the company (working fulltime/throughout college as well, win), I learned, and learned, and learned...I've also been taking a Java class as well, and I program a lot on my free time, mainly just to learn new s*** that'll benefit me later on.
That's sick, that's one of the reasons I love software so much. You're constantly learning new things and approaches to take on different situations.

Xerax

Xerax

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
Halo 3 got me into VB. Then C#. Now im pretty fluent in alot of languages. (about 4 years).

edit: I wouldn't really say modding CoD patches is coding.

Top Bottom
Login
Register