How did DNS server mods work?

Discussion in 'Grand Theft Auto V Modding Support Archive' started by handsomepigeonzz, Apr 15, 2018 with 10 replies and 556 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. handsomepigeonzz

handsomepigeonzz Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I don't understand how DNS has anything to do with being able to mod GTA. How did they work?

2. WarHeadinc

WarHeadinc Se7enSin's Lobby Hoster Premium

Ratings:
    A server I think. Good times having them tho. I hope they dont come back

3. Retribution

Retribution Dépaysement Premium

Ratings:
    I was one of the very first people to do those mods.

I did it by running my Xbox internet through my computer.

Then, using a certain program, I was able to make the console pull information from edited .json files rather than the default .json files, by making the console believe it was connected to R*’s server.

These .json files governed a ton of in-game factors like weather, cash picked up, RP gained, etc.

I was able change these multipliers to absurd values, which caused me to get billions of dollars just by robbing a gas station.

TLDR:
    I essentially spoofed some of R*’s servers so that the game loaded my version of the tunables.json rather than the standard version.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  4. OP
    handsomepigeonzz

Ratings:
    That's cool! So it's like a man in the middle and you edit the data coming from the server to the xbox (or is it the other way around? ), right?

How was this patched then?

5. Retribution

Ratings:
    You spoof a server, so that when the Xbox thinks it’s connected to R*’s server to pull the .json, it is actually connected to yours.

I’m not sure exactly how they patched it technologically, but, whatever they did, it forced the Xbox to only pull the standard version.
    I believe they implemented encryption as well.

6. OP
    handsomepigeonzz

Ratings:
    Ah understood. But how did you run the server? Surely only r* would have the server files.

7. Retribution

Ratings:
    I don’t remember exactly, but I remember it was a program that I had.

I remember naming folders to match R*’s folder names and then placing my modified files in them, so that the console loaded my files from my folders rather than the default files in R*’s folders.

The methodology used made it so that we could cherry-pick which files we wanted to “supply.”

It would only look to my folders for the files that I wanted it to. Everything else was taken from R*’s database as it usually does.

As for how these files were obtained, I’m not sure exactly. But, I do know that, back then, their database and file structure was accessible via prod.rockstar.com or whatever.

Now, access is forbidden and the associated files are encrypted. I believe there is a checksum in place but I’m not sure.

Forgive the lack of definition in my answers, I haven’t dealt with this process since 2013 :tongue:

8. OP
    handsomepigeonzz

Ratings:
    Ah. Wow that's cool thanks man. If you don't mind me asking, do you work in something like networking or is this stuff more of a hobby?

9. Retribution

Ratings:
    I work with technology, but not very in-depth.

I’m actually going to the University for something completely unrelated: Biochemistry.

So, to answer your question, it is, and was, a hobby :tongue:

10. OP
    handsomepigeonzz

Ratings:
    Ok. Best of luck :smile:

11. Gardzz

Gardzz #1 Rocket League Player. Retired

Ratings:
    Yeah, they won't be coming back. Xbox & R* closed that **** right away.

Was amazing whilst it lasted though, going to close this thread now.