What's new

Solved How can I go about replacing a DVD drive?

• Thread starter Prankster113
  • Start date
  • Views 491
P

Prankster113

Reaction score
Sin$
I ordered a new Liteon dvd drive for my xbox yesterday in hopes to replace my old one that will not read disks anymore. I thought it would be much easier than I just realized it would be. I need to know the easiest way to replace the drive for a tech-idiot. I heard I could simply replace mobo but that requires soldering, which I could do if it's not hard and that's a lot easier than (flashing?) it
Thanks

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
I ordered a new Liteon dvd drive for my xbox yesterday in hopes to replace my old one that will not read disks anymore. I thought it would be much easier than I just realized it would be. I need to know the easiest way to replace the drive for a tech-idiot. I heard I could simply replace mobo but that requires soldering, which I could do if it's not hard and that's a lot easier than (flashing?) it
Thanks
In order to do what you want to do you will need to swap the PCBs of the drives which, is the cheapest and easiest option (other than the fact you have to solder 5 wires), or obtain the old drives DVD key and inject it into the new drive which doesn't require soldering (if you have the right drive model) but is way more expensive and kinda unnecessary. If you don't want to solder then just send it to someone to do the switch for you. Since you already have the new drive it should be cheap.

P

Prankster113

Reaction score
Sin$
In order to do what you want to do you will need to swap the PCBs of the drives which, is the cheapest and easiest option (other than the fact you have to solder 5 wires), or obtain the old drives DVD key and inject it into the new drive which doesn't require soldering (if you have the right drive model) but is way more expensive and kinda unnecessary. If you don't want to solder then just send it to someone to do the switch for you. Since you already have the new drive it should be cheap.

So what you're saying is that I just switch out the PCB of the old one and put it into the new one? I saw a tutorial on how to remove it and that seemed pretty easy but is putting it into the new drive as easy?

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
So what you're saying is that I just switch out the PCB of the old one and put it into the new one? I saw a tutorial on how to remove it and that seemed pretty easy but is putting it into the new drive as easy?
Yes but you have to desolder and resolder 5 wires

P

Prankster113

Reaction score
Sin$
Sounds good, from what I saw that won't be too hard. After I switch the PCBs can I just Hooke the drive up and start playing games again?

Mark Trapp

Mark Trapp

Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks

You do not need to solder. i replace mine a couple of weeks ago by just cutting the wires to the mother board in half and i just twisted the wires together and wrapped in electrical tape. works perfectly fine.

A Toast

A Toast

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
You do not need to solder. i replace mine a couple of weeks ago by just cutting the wires to the mother board in half and i just twisted the wires together and wrapped in electrical tape. works perfectly fine.

Thats how i wouldn't do it, soldering is much cleaner and there is no risk that the wires disconnect themself. And if you practice a little you can evolve rapidly in soldering.

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Thats how i wouldn't do it, soldering is much cleaner and there is no risk that the wires disconnect themself. And if you practice a little you can evolve rapidly in soldering.
Its easy to learn, hard to master. :biggrin: and the 5 points on the DVD drive PCBs are big and east to solder to.

Fanboy

Fanboy

Mirakuru
Retired
Fabled Veteran Legendary Veteran Mythical Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$

Or just RGH it then get the key, then RGH the other xbox then put the key onto that drive, then flash back original nand.
Profit?

Top Bottom
Login
Register