How can I fix xbox freeze.

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 Support Archive' started by MLG LEG3NDz, Jul 23, 2009 with 10 replies and 267 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MLG LEG3NDz

MLG LEG3NDz Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I bought a x-clamp fixed xbox and it got the rrod again. I decided to open it up and refix it. The guy put a but load of thermal paste on both the CPU & gpu. I took some of it off and put new paste. It now starts up but it freezes when the xbox starts up & get rrod when warmed up. Can I clean up the rest of the extra thermal paste with a Q- tip or what?

2. TheMagicNumber

TheMagicNumber Enthusiast

Ratings:
    clean off all the paste,polish the chips,replace with the right amount of paste,do the xclamp..most of the time errors after the xclamp fix are cos of the screws being too tight or too loose so leave it open and wait till your certain it works before putting it back together.a good start is just tighter than finger tight-errors 0102,0020 may occur but with adjustments they will(hopefully)go.make sure as your tightening you get the pressure even over the chips.
    if after that you start to get e74 you need to fix that too-theres a tut on here for that with pennies that should work..please dont take a heat gun to your mobo as some ppl suggest as that is retarded and does exactly the same as the towel trick.
    if after all that it still doesnt work put it under your bed for spares and go buy a new one.

• Like Like x 1
  3. EclipseModz

EclipseModz Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Totally wrong....
    When you do the towel trick it heats up everything in the 360. When you use a heat gun to reflow the chips you are only directing it on the Southbridge, HANA, CPU, and GPU. While all plastic/parts that can melt are covered with foil to prevent damage.

4. OP
    MLG LEG3NDz

MLG LEG3NDz Enthusiast

Ratings:
    well I don't want to spend money to buy a heat gun, if it doesn't work I'll just sell it.

5. EclipseModz

Ratings:
    You can also put the motherboard in the oven. I have never done it but it is the exact same concept as the heatgun.

6. RayzoR

RayzoR Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Yea my xbox is starting to freeze. I didn't play for about a month, then I started playing again and it started freezing. Now, the screen doesn't even come up, but the Xbox won't flash rings. I made sure all the cables were secure and everything. Nothing worked.

7. TheMagicNumber

Ratings:
    eclipze shutup.

your an idiot.you say in one comment "When you use a heat gun to reflow the chips you are only directing it on the Southbridge, HANA, CPU, and GPU"
    then the next"You can also put the motherboard in the oven. I have never done it but it is the exact same concept as the heatgun"after saying"When you do the towel trick it heats up everything in the 360"wtf.so the"oven"which "is the exact same concept as the heatgun",doesnt heat up the whole board?although you disagree with the towel trick.

think about what you say before you post.
    and btw not everyone has a heatgun laying around,and also not everyone has the confidence to use it on an xbox360.<_<

8. ODST DUTCH

ODST DUTCH Banned

Ratings:
    i have the same problem.i think i will listen to magic as eclipse says different things that make no sense.

9. EclipseModz

Ratings:
    There is something terribly wrong with you kid.... If you use a heatgun you direct it at the chips. With foil around all parts that can melt since it is direct heat....

The motherboard can withstand high temps. How do you think it all gets soldered in the first place? When you remove the air duct, fan ,dvd drive, sata and dvd cables, then you remove the parts that can be damaged by the heat of the oven.

Towel trick HEATS UP EVERYTHING. Possibly damaging the sata cable, dvd power, dvdrive, air duct, and the fan. That is why towel trick is so stupid.

Do you really want to call me out on this? You obviously know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about this.

10. TheMagicNumber

Ratings:
    good one.im 34 and i fix 360s as a side busines so go **** yourself

11. EclipseModz

Ratings:
    If are actually 34 and you had some sense of maturity then you would not try and argue that...