What's new

Solved How can I do a factory reset on my Mac Book Pro with out a disc?

ERRM

ERRM

Trololo
Reaction score
Sin$
Is there a way I can do a system reset without an OS disc? I'm wanting to sell mine, that's why I want to do a reset.

Operating System
  1. Mac OS
ERRM

ERRM

Trololo
Reaction score
Sin$
It was nice to have, but I've found things of more importance that I should take care of. This Mac is just an expensive toy to me not a necessity. I don't use it for much. I can sell it, buy a cheaper laptop, and use the rest of the cash on what ever I see fit.

Flying Taco

Flying Taco

Contributor
Mr. Nice Guy Forum Addict
Reaction score
Sin$
Depending on your views on piracy, you could always just download a clean version of the OS and put it on a flash drive and restore.

Siri

Siri

What can i help you with ?
Reaction score
Sin$
Is there a way I can do a system reset without an OS disc? I'm wanting to sell mine, that's why I want to do a reset.
You can with lion but not any OS lower unless you use usb or as above a ilegal copy.

Siri

Siri

Reaction score
Sin$
Well it should be Lion. Do you what the process is that I would have to go through to do the reset would be?

i have steps to help you do this but first of i need to know if you bough the mac with lion on or if you downloaded it thought app store ?

Siri

Siri

Reaction score
Sin$
Well the only method i really know is this one but it is at your own risk if not the other option is downloading lion then mounting it to a pen drive

1. Power of mac and power it back on after the chime press and hold the Option key (alt) then it should show you all your hard drives select recovery HD.
  2. Then go to disk utility and then click continue when it opens just click on your hard drive which will show on the left hand side.
  3. Go to info at the top and check to see it shows .S.M.A.R.T and make sure its verified.
  4. Then go to Erase tab and then select the format as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and click on erase and wait for it to complete after that go back to the main menu which shows reinstall Mac OS and then follow the steps.

Top Bottom
Login
Register