high load on csrss.exe

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Haxalot88, Feb 22, 2009 with 6 replies and 232 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Alright, so usually I know how to fix most system problems, but this one has confused the hell out of me. I am running W7 on my dual-core system, and recently it has started lagging a bit. I look at task manager, and csrss.exe sits at around 50% cpu usage (something that hasn't happened before). I looked around on google, and there are many suggestions that it has become infected, but neither NOD32 picked it up, nor did any of the suggested checks turn up anything.

any help plz?

2. RvB rox

RvB rox Member

Ratings:
    do you have 1 or 2 of them loading?
    because if you have 2, one of them is a virus. i remember i had it at one point.
    use process explorer, 10x better then task manager.
    here
    Code:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx
    dl is at the bottom. check if you have more then one csrss running and if it is purple.
    if you want also, when you run it go to
    View <Select Columns < Process Image tab and select everything on the left side and right side except the bottom 2 on the right. Then go to Process performance and check off the 1st 2 at the left and at the bottom check off I/O read and writes bytes on both side. doing that can help you fine out what is slowing you down completly.

3. OP
    Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    There's 2 of them, but neither is a virus? Not sure where the second one originated from (possibly the administrator account alongside my own user account), but both copies originated from /windows/system32/csrss.exe, both crash windows if either is shut down, etc...
    I just restarted windows after doing a couple things, cpu load isn't spiking, yet there are still 2 copies which still worries me exactly why.

Also, is there any way that I can shut down all processes except windows required? I start windows with 57 processes, and i would like to bring that down to maybe 20-ish.

4. MyS!ze

MyS!ze Enthusiast

Ratings:
    can you not go to msconfig and edit your start up apps?

5. RvB rox

RvB rox Member

Ratings:
    ook you have the same problem i had a little less then a year ago. message me on aim and get team viewer (if you dont know what that is, it will let me control your comp if. dont worry i wont screw you over though) i cant go on now because i g2g eat dinner in a sec, but one day catch me on aim and i will tell you exactly what to do

6. MyS!ze

MyS!ze Enthusiast

Ratings:
    do you care if i im you too?
    oi have the same problem

7. RvB rox

RvB rox Member

Ratings:
    sure. not now tho either lol i g2g2 the gym. pretty much all you do is remove something from the registry and a file in system 32.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.