What's new
  • Howdy, Guest!

We have issued a forced password reset on all user accounts, meaning you will not be able to login until this process is complete. Instructions will be displayed when you login with your previous credentials, however if for any reason you do not have access to your associated email address, you will need to contact us at [email protected].

For more information, please read this Important Announcement

Thank you for being awesome!

Hi, I'm in need!

• Thread starter James Butchart
  • Start date
  • Views 557
James Butchart

James Butchart

Reaction score
Sin$
Hello everyone, my name is James (Butty) and I am about to leave secondary school and go into college. I am applying for a course in software development, problem is I have very little idea on how it is done. Anyone here could help me?, point me in the right direct. In the description it said a lot of the course will include the creation of games, so this is why I chose this forum. :biggrin:

Thanks,
¬Butty

Xeren

Xeren

♦♦♦ God Complex ♦♦♦
Legendary Veteran Programmer Modder
Reaction score
Sin$
Hello everyone, my name is James (Butty) and I am about to leave secondary school and go into college. I am applying for a course in software development, problem is I have very little idea on how it is done. Anyone here could help me?, point me in the right direct. In the description it said a lot of the course will include the creation of games, so this is why I chose this forum. :biggrin:

Thanks,
¬Butty
If you want to dive into the depths of how it works, then you'll need to study how programming languages get compiled down into Assembly and ultimately are executed by the computer; how a game engine communicates with and utilizes audio and graphic libraries(such as DirectX) that are already in large development and how they themselves output the sounds and models; and lastly how to code in a certain favorite language(I'll point you towards C# or C++).

PCMasterRace

PCMasterRace

Glorious
Legendary Veteran Fabled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Liquid44 Liquid44 would be good at answering this if it's the engine/tools that you're gonna be learning about. The creation of games is a pretty vague statement, there's a lot that goes into the creation of a game.

Last edited:
James Butchart

James Butchart

Reaction score
Sin$
If you want to dive into the depths of how it works, then you'll need to study how programming languages get compiled down into Assembly and ultimately are executed by the computer; how a game engine communicates with and utilizes audio and graphic libraries(such as DirectX) that are already in large development and how they themselves output the sounds and models; and lastly how to code in a certain favorite language(I'll point you towards C# or C++).
I have done some very simple HTML and CSS but thats it, just to make silly websites, thank you for your help. I would love any help I can get!

Liquid44 Liquid44 would be good at answering this if it's the engine/tools that you're gonna be learning about. The creation of games is a pretty vague statement, there's a lot that goes into the creation of a game.
Sorry about how vague it was, but its really all I know always wanted to know how to dive deep into the coding of the game and understand it though :smile:. Also hacking accounts has been a huge interest of mine ever since I was like 12 (because of movies). Need to learn so much! hahaha

Last edited by a moderator:
Liquid44

Liquid44

Banned
Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$
Once you start your course they should teach you the very basics and then you can research and read around the topics in class in your own time. College/A-levels is really a stepping stone for university, and if you are serious about pursuing games development then you really need to study maths and physics for A-levels as these are usually the minimum requirements for any good university in this field.

I'm not saying this is the only way and I don't wanna say change course lol but I can tell you that there are alot of maths concepts used in games that they do not teach at GCSE level.

I'm gonna be vague as your question is vague so for programming languages, learning C and C++ would be a start. Downloading an existing engine (cryengine/unreal/unity etc) and start playing around with it. Start using a graphics API such as DirectX or OpenGL. I'm not sure if DX has the old fixed function pipeline but I know OpenGL does, if you go with OpenGL then do not follow tutorials that use immediate mode as that is old and slow. You want to learn at least version 3 or later.

James Butchart

James Butchart

Reaction score
Sin$
Once you start your course they should teach you the very basics and then you can research and read around the topics in class in your own time. College/A-levels is really a stepping stone for university, and if you are serious about pursuing games development then you really need to study maths and physics for A-levels as these are usually the minimum requirements for any good university in this field.

I'm not saying this is the only way and I don't wanna say change course lol but I can tell you that there are alot of maths concepts used in games that they do not teach at GCSE level.

I'm gonna be vague as your question is vague so for programming languages, learning C and C++ would be a start. Downloading an existing engine (cryengine/unreal/unity etc) and start playing around with it. Start using a graphics API such as DirectX or OpenGL. I'm not sure if DX has the old fixed function pipeline but I know OpenGL does, if you go with OpenGL then do not follow tutorials that use immediate mode as that is old and slow. You want to learn at least version 3 or later.
Just want something to get me job, and have decent in come

Mr Chip53

Mr Chip53

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
If you hate math or are lazy/dont meet deadlines, i will be the one to tell you to change course. I say that because you say you just want a job with good income. So if you dont really want to program/develop the rest of your life you will probably regret majoring in computer sciences. Prove me wrong though.

Top Bottom
Login
Register