Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pwfdc

Bright Idea Programmer Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
WFBqJ2D.png

Hermes Chat is a project I started in September of 2013, you can see the full post about it here.
Recently I've been thinking that maybe I should make it open-source. Well I decided this morning that I will make it public. So here it is!
The current version on the chat itself, located here, is currently version 2.1.1. However, the source on the BitBucket is not 2.1.1, but is the new version that will be released sometime. I want to finish a few things.

Be warned, I have a lot to fix and remove and add still. Like the new pages. I'm moving the chat widget to it's own page and doing a few more miscellaneous things on it.

Click here to go to the source

By the way. I will not be able to work on this 24/7, so updates may move slow and approvals also if you happen to commit to it.
And I will not provide support on cloning the source or anything, if you want to get it like that then you'll have to find out how to do it yourself.
However if you need support on anything relating to the chat you can always email [email protected]
Have a nice day :smile:

I'll edit this thread if anything major happens.
(Oh by the way, the "Terms of Service", if you come across them, are just fillers. I'll edit it when it comes time to put them online.)

Donations
I know some of you probably do not care to help support this chat, but it would help immensely if you did.
No you do not need to donate, but you can. That is not a problem.
Click here to donate to Hermes Chat
Keep in mind though, these donations are not going to me, Coldfire202. They are going to AlterCodeStudios directly. I am always very strict about keeping everything separate.

Last edited:
P

pwfdc

Reaction score
Sin$
Updated the source.
Along with changing the url. It's now at git.altercodestudios.com
I'm focusing on a user default thing right now which is acting up when it shouldn't be. So there's a temporary glitch in it. Ignore that for now.

Stilldabomb

Stilldabomb

Personal Terrorist
Reaction score
Sin$
So how exactly it it working? Never cared to look deep enough into this stuff and I'm on mobile so I can't just sift through source lol. Is it just constantly polling a database or what? This is quite cool though :smile:

I realize this is quite gravedigging but you had it in your sig and it interested me. That justifies the gravedig for me.

P

pwfdc

Reaction score
Sin$
So how exactly it it working? Never cared to look deep enough into this stuff and I'm on mobile so I can't just sift through source lol. Is it just constantly polling a database or what? This is quite cool though :smile:

I realize this is quite gravedigging but you had it in your sig and it interested me. That justifies the gravedig for me.
Oh it's not gravedigging, it's still a working project. :smile:
And it's through a Javascript file that gets all the new messages from the database every 5ish seconds.

Stilldabomb

Stilldabomb

Personal Terrorist
Reaction score
Sin$
And it's through a Javascript file that gets all the new messages from the database every 5ish seconds.
Ah, nice. But you should look into something like Socket.IO. I'm not saying you should completely rewrite the project, but just mess around with some sockets and see if you could optimise it somehow :tongue:

Z61

Z61

Some times our saints are sinners
Retired
Programmer Forum Addict Odysseus' Summit
Reaction score
Sin$
it is still gravedigging. It wasn't replied to since March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom
Login
Register