What's new

Question Help

I

immanewb

Reaction score
Sin$
Can someone build me a computer for around 1000$ CAD. I pretty much just need it for gaming thats about it and also if someone can tell me if i should buy a computer now or wait for some price drops, any help is appreciated

afterjo

afterjo

Enthusiast
Solutions
Reaction score
Sin$
Wait. Hot games are not released, RTXs are just out and should drop prices of previous gen gpus.

I

immanewb

Reaction score
Sin$
Could u build me a pc for when prices drop so i can see what it would cost me?

theroach

theroach

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
First, do you have a monitor? I ask because a gaming pc’s specifically target a certain fps at a resolution. If not, 1k CAD if my math is half-way correct is right under 800 U.S. dollars. This might seem like a big amount, but if you’re wanting a high end “4k” setup, keep dreaming. Is this money to cover just the tower itself, or monitor and accessories included?

To start, how experienced with pc’s are you, and have you overclocked? Are you wanting a plug-in-play setup, or do you mind tweaking some pieces to get better performance? Are you wanting a best dollar for performance scenario, or more of a “future proof” setup? If you are wanting a strict dollar for performance setup, AMD motherboard and processor with a mid to high-end Nvidia GPU is the best bet. If gaming is your focus, AMD has killer processors for the cost. However, they simply do not perform on the level of Intel currently, but in gaming scenarios you do not need a high-end CPU.

I have three complete setups currently. Two Intel 1151 300 series and a single AMD AM4 setup. My two Intel setups are an 8700k sitting in an ASUS Z370-E motherboard with 32GB G.Skill ram. The other is an 8086K paired with an Asus Maximus X board with 64GB G.Skill ram. My AMD build is a Ryzen 7 2700X placed in an ASUS Strix X470-F board with 16GB Corsair ram. My 8086k and AMD build both run the Msi GTX 1080 TI Gaming X card, the 8700K runs the Gigabyte Gtx 1080 Ti Gaming graphics card. I can tell you from personal experience, from a gaming standpoint you cannot tell the difference. The AMD build is only a week old, and it does require a little of tinkering to get it running at spec, especially higher ram specs, but it does not matter for gaming. If you can grab a decent CPU and motherboard, ddr4 ram, and an SSD, all the noticeable impact will be the graphics card.

As of right now, and over the last decade or more if not all-time, AMD just cannot stand toe-to-toe with Nvidia cards. But, like I stated at the beginning, depending on the resolution you are wanting/have, you might not need much. Just like processors, AMD has damn good value for performance graphic cards on the market. So, unless you are running 4k, ultrawide resolutions, or anything in-between, you do not need a massive GPU, or flagship card. Keep in mind though, the graphics card will be the most important purchase, and usually the most expensive purchase for a gaming rig. If you are at 1080 resolution, AMD hands down has the best bang for buck card. Expect some small user-ability issues with AMD though. Advanced users mostly have no issues with AMD cards, but a novice could have simple problems like drivers, optimization settings and such. Nvidia will have cards at more of a premium price, but across the board they perform better for beginning users. This is because the monopoly on the market they hold giving them the ability to provide drivers and best optimizations literally out of the box.

In conclusion, if you want help we need more information. Do you have a monitor, keyboard and mouse? Exactly how much do you want to spend, and do you have any preferences?

I

immanewb

Reaction score
Sin$
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 3.2 GHz
Number of Cores 4
CPU ID BFEBFBFF000306C3
Family 06
Model 3C
Stepping 3
Revision
Memory
RAM 8.0 GB
Video Card
Video Card AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Manufacturer
Chipset AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
Dedicated Memory 4.0 GB
Total Memory 6.0 GB
Pixel Shader Version 5.1
Vertex Shader Version 5.1
Hardware T & L Yes
Vendor ID 1002
Device 6810
Plug and Play ID VEN_1002&DEV_6810&SUBSYS_201C1787&REV_00
Driver Version 13.251.9001.1001
Operating System
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (build 9600), 64-bit
Service Pack 0
Size 64-bit
Edition ATI
Version 6.3.9600
Locale 0409
BIOS
BIOS BIOS Date: 08/13/14 14:40:10 Ver: 21.05
Version American Megatrends Inc. 2105
Manufacturer American Megatrends Inc.
Date 08/13/14
Sound
Audio 1
Sound Device AMD High Definition Audio Device
Driver 9.0.0.9904
Audio 2
Sound Device High Definition Audio Device
Driver 6.3.9600.16384
Drives
DVD ASUS DRW-24F1ST b
CD ASUS DRW-24F1ST b
Size 465.4 GB
Free Memory 139.3 GB

Thats my current build what could i upgrade and i have a mouse, keyboard and could u recommend a monitor

theroach

theroach

Premium
Premium
Reaction score
Sin$
1st. Get away from windows 8.
2nd. If you’re staying at 1080p resolution, 8Gig of ram and a GPU and call it good.

If you plan to dip into 1440 or beyond, you might consider a full build to jump into Ddr4.

Top Bottom
Login
Register