What's new
  • Howdy, Guest!

We have issued a forced password reset on all user accounts, meaning you will not be able to login until this process is complete. Instructions will be displayed when you login with your previous credentials, however if for any reason you do not have access to your associated email address, you will need to contact us at [email protected].

For more information, please read this Important Announcement

Thank you for being awesome!

Xbox 360 Help with .xma (Xbox Media Audio 1) files

• Thread starter CaseyTheVA
  • Start date
  • Views 161
C

CaseyTheVA

Reaction score
Sin$
Hey all, sorry to ask a question that most of you probably know, but I've spent a good few days on this, and any leads on google have unfortunately resulted in all dead ends and a few dead links.

I'm wondering if anyone can help with converting a wav to .xma (Xbox Media Audio 1) files, not .xwm (Xbox Media Audio 2). This audio format was used in early Xbox 360 games like Oblivion and Fallout 3. I clearly knew how to do this over 10 years ago as I found audio I've converted back then that works, but trying to find a method now to convert new audio is tricky and I sadly don't remember how I did it. Apologies, I should have backed up and preserved how I did it before. Anything that supposedly works using more recent methods will either crash the game when I test it, or output no sound at all. I have both xmaencode.exe and xma2encode.exe but yields the same results. If anyone has any idea how this was done back in the day, please feel free to tag in. Thank you so much in advance 🙏

You can tell which files are Xbox Media 1 (xma, the files that play correctly)
8mYJLwT.png

or Xbox Media 2 (xwm, the files for later games that don't work with earlier games) depending on what it displays in foobar2000
INfzxK0.png

Thanks for reading all of this!

C

CaseyTheVA

Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys, figured it out in case any one needs to do this in the future. You have to use an extremely early version of xmaencode.exe (I used August of 2005) and used the command line "xmaencode x.wav" and it output an x.xma with proper settings. Just make sure the wav file already has the correct parameters you need. Hope this helps someone in the future!

Top Bottom
Login
Register