Liberation

I just work here dude
Content Team
Mythical Veteran Mr. Nice Guy 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
Well I tried to boot up my laptop today and blue screen popped up saying:

'UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME'

I have tried to install Zorin OS from a CD but this still popped up?

Now I have no clue how to fix this. If I can I wouldn't mind wiping the HDD to install Linux on this laptop (Although it's on Windows XP at the moment). Any information would help me. Thank you.

Bar Starred

YourMumOnToast9

Contributor
Grammar Nazi Grizzled Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Well I tried to boot up my laptop today and blue screen popped up saying:

'UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME'

I have tried to install Zorin OS from a CD but this still popped up?

Now I have no clue how to fix this. If I can I wouldn't mind wiping the HDD to install Linux on this laptop (Although it's on Windows XP at the moment). Any information would help me. Thank you.

Sounds like your drive has some bad sectors, you need to sort this out before installing anything. Look around the interwebs for Hirens Boot CD, it's free, and it's a bootable CD with loads of tools. Once downloaded & burnt, or placed on a bootable USB drive, load it up, run one of the many HDD tools, i forget the name of the one i tend to use, but leave it running for a while, and i bet it'll find some bad sectors.

Good luck!

EDIT: the tool maybe 'HDDRegenerator ' ?

Regardless, i would not trust teh drive, may last an hour after repairing the bad sector, may last a year, either way, replace it as soon as possible if it does turn out to be a sector issue

Liberation

Liberation

I just work here dude
Content Team
Mythical Veteran Mr. Nice Guy 10th Anniversary
Reaction score
Sin$
Sounds like your drive has some bad sectors, you need to sort this out before installing anything. Look around the interwebs for Hirens Boot CD, it's free, and it's a bootable CD with loads of tools. Once downloaded & burnt, or placed on a bootable USB drive, load it up, run one of the many HDD tools, i forget the name of the one i tend to use, but leave it running for a while, and i bet it'll find some bad sectors.

Good luck!

EDIT: the tool maybe 'HDDRegenerator ' ?
Thanks for the help. I'll see if it helps out.

Top Bottom
Login
Register