• Thread starter kip4hours
  • Start date
  • Views 341
kip4hours

kip4hours

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a very novice pc builder and just looking for some support and suggestions.

I have an i5 processor and a 960 graphics card but want to upgrade it to a 1660 ti or slightly better.

my budget is not much pushing just past the £300 mark could be more depending on a few sales of stuff so my question is.

1, dose it matter what cpu I have ie if I have a low cpu can I still add an amazing graphics card and games run flawlessly at high FPS. Or do I need to upgrade the cpu as well.

Thank you

______

______

Getting There
Reaction score
I hope you didn't buy a GPU considering the 3k series is coming out in a week, an amazing graphics card with an average CPU will bottle neck surely ?
Id stick to your 980 and get a ryzen cpu and upgrade the gpu as well in a new rig or with your current :smile:

Navy Davey

Navy Davey

☠️Wicked Good☠️
Super Moderators
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a very novice pc builder and just looking for some support and suggestions.

I have an i5 processor and a 960 graphics card but want to upgrade it to a 1660 ti or slightly better.

my budget is not much pushing just past the £300 mark could be more depending on a few sales of stuff so my question is.

1, dose it matter what cpu I have ie if I have a low cpu can I still add an amazing graphics card and games run flawlessly at high FPS. Or do I need to upgrade the cpu as well.

Thank you
It depends on the clock speed of your processor.
An older i5 with a slow clock speed may not support a powerful graphics card or be able to run games smoothly.
Check your clock speed and cross check it with the graphics processor and games you want to run on your PC.
It could be a waste of money if you purchase a new GPU and it’s isn’t compatible with your CPU.

Top Bottom