What's new

Solved Help with Flashing Samsung Drive

S

SP7000

Reaction score
Sin$
Hi all,
I have an xbox that had an rrod, I managed to fix that and whilst the console was open I decided to flash the drive with the iXtreme Firmware. The flashing procedure seemed to go fine but once I started the console to test it, it would not read the backup game I burned. I get either the "Open Tray" or on rare occasions the "Unplayable Disk" error. I actually got the game to play once by going into settings and changing the boot type to disc then continuously booting the console over and over, however this has only happened once. I then tested the drive with a normal DVD movie - Same result.The only thing that it could play every time was a music CD. After that I flashed the original firmware back onto the drive - Same thing could only play CDs. I tried flashing the drive with iXtreme firmware again - This time it can play DVDs but only for about 10mins, after that you can hear the laser stop and the movie simply freezes, still plays CDs fine.

Here is some info on the console. (wasn't sure what would be relevant so copied the numbers at the bottom of the console info tab)

D:2.0.6690.0
K:2.0.6690.0
BK:2.0.1888.0

Some more info:
iXtreme Firmware 2.01
Drive Type: Samsung TSSTcorpDVD-ROM TS-H943Ams25 Rev:ms25
Disk Media: Verbatim DVD+R DL 2.4x

I tried the POT tweak, changing the original resistance from 3.78 to 3.53, didn't change anything.
I am pretty sure that the problem is not the game disk as it did play once.
If any other information is necessary I'll get it up as soon as I can.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Mavhammer

Mavhammer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I think your on dashboard 6690 but I'm not sure, try updating to 16202 and make sure your have original DVD key and if not make sure to spoof it.

It also could be that your laser doesn't work anymore.

S

SP7000

Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for your reply,
Are you sure I should update the dashboard to 16202? I've just been reading a few forums about it and it looks like it causes a few problems for people that flash their DVD Firmware. Could I update to something a little older?
Also I think the laser is fine because it still plays audio CDs, but I could be wrong.

Mavhammer

Mavhammer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Thanks for your reply,
Are you sure I should update the dashboard to 16202? I've just been reading a few forums about it and it looks like it causes a few problems for people that flash their DVD Firmware. Could I update to something a little older?
Also I think the laser is fine because it still plays audio CDs, but I could be wrong.
First try updating to 16197 or 16202 and see if you can play games, that was the problem for me.

S

SP7000

Reaction score
Sin$
Ok, I updated the console too 16197 with the original firmware. The first DVD I tried kept reporting "Unplayable Disk", the second DVD played immediately but froze after about 5 mins, which then both DVDs gave the "Open Tray" error.
Still plays CDs fine every time.
To me this seems like their is something wrong with the laser or entire drive.
Any other ideas?

Edit: Still using original firmware.

Last edited:
M

Master Owen 117

Reaction score
Sin$
Laser could be the issue, but other factors assist in the reading of disks. Make sure you find out exactly what the problem is before you go blindly buying stuff for your cd drive. Could just turn into a mess! Good luck to ya

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Ok, I updated the console too 16197 with the original firmware. The first DVD I tried kept reporting "Unplayable Disk", the second DVD played immediately but froze after about 5 mins, which then both DVDs gave the "Open Tray" error.
Still plays CDs fine every time.
To me this seems like their is something wrong with the laser or entire drive.
Any other ideas?

Edit: Still using original firmware.
It sounds like the laser is going or the drive is having a power failure. If it needed a POT tweak it would most likely not work at all. Try getting a game to play and then listen to drive so you can hear what happens when the game freezes (i.e. if the drive spins down or something).

S

SP7000

Reaction score
Sin$
Well, I flashed the drive with iXtreme firmware again and immediately tried a DVD, played fine for 5 mins then you could hear the laser just stop doing anything. After opening the tray and putting the DVD back in, it just constantly reports the "Open Tray" error. I then tried a music CD and it plays fine, still playing now in fact. Unfortunately I do not have a retail game disk to try as only the console was given to me. How hard is it too change the laser module and do you know of a good tutorial? I'm about ready to try anything at this point. I watched a video on youtube about a guy who put one of the rubber feet from the case on the laser module track to stop it from getting to close to the the motor and apparently that worked for him, but I am a bit skeptical when comes to youtube videos.

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, I flashed the drive with iXtreme firmware again and immediately tried a DVD, played fine for 5 mins then you could hear the laser just stop doing anything. After opening the tray and putting the DVD back in, it just constantly reports the "Open Tray" error. I then tried a music CD and it plays fine, still playing now in fact. Unfortunately I do not have a retail game disk to try as only the console was given to me. How hard is it too change the laser module and do you know of a good tutorial? I'm about ready to try anything at this point. I watched a video on youtube about a guy who put one of the rubber feet from the case on the laser module track to stop it from getting to close to the the motor and apparently that worked for him, but I am a bit skeptical when comes to youtube videos.
Ya I hate Youtube tuts for many reasons with reliability being one of them. Replacing the laser isn't too hard. You just remove the old one, buy a new one for like 20 bucks, and then solder the new one in after removing the anti static pads. There are only 3 points. I am not sure where a tut for that is.

Also CDs may continue to read fine because the drive uses a different configuration to read CDs since they are written differently.

S

SP7000

Reaction score
Sin$
Alright, I'll look into purchasing a new laser or perhaps even a new drive. Is their anything else I can try though? I mean ANYTHING. Also I live in NZ so finding a replacement might be challenging. I had a look on TradeMe (NZs ebay equivalent) and their was nothing.
It also seems that if I leave the console unplugged for say an hour then plug it in again it starts to read DVDs again, but only for about 5 mins. Haven't been able to get it to play a game apart from that one time.

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Alright, I'll look into purchasing a new laser or perhaps even a new drive. Is their anything else I can try though? I mean ANYTHING. Also I live in NZ so finding a replacement might be challenging. I had a look on TradeMe (NZs ebay equivalent) and their was nothing.
It also seems that if I leave the console unplugged for say an hour then plug it in again it starts to read DVDs again, but only for about 5 mins. Haven't been able to get it to play a game apart from that one time.
You could try a POT tweak: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CEQQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fboshdirect.com%2Fcategory%2F9-installation-guides%3Fdownload%3D15&ei=NzvNUJ_-HObF0AHRiIGoCA&usg=AFQjCNEop9Gx8o1l6uo7AP5LPp3YTJ81sA&bvm=bv.1355325884,d.dmQ&cad=rja

S

SP7000

Reaction score
Sin$
Well, I've been trying the POT tweak and have gotten down to 3.20ohms. Whilst testing with that resistance the screen filled up with little purple squares while playing a DVD then the console refused to play anything except CDs, so I didn't cook the laser. I'm not sure if I should put the resistance any lower as it is getting pretty close to the 3.0ohms point.

Edit: Just for the hell of it I put the resistance down to 3.0ohms. Nothing changed. I think I'll put the resistance back up to its original of 3.7ohms.

Last edited:
oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Well, I've been trying the POT tweak and have gotten down to 3.20ohms. Whilst testing with that resistance the screen filled up with little purple squares while playing a DVD then the console refused to play anything except CDs, so I didn't cook the laser. I'm not sure if I should put the resistance any lower as it is getting pretty close to the 3.0ohms point.

Edit: Just for the hell of it I put the resistance down to 3.0ohms. Nothing changed. I think I'll put the resistance back up to its original of 3.7ohms.
Yea, im not sure of what else to do other than laser replacement.

S

SP7000

Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, I'm gonna try get a replacement laser. Something interesting though, I decided to put the resistance up, you know just to try everything, and now the DVD plays longer and just before it stops playing, the movie starts to stutter until it comes to a complete stop which then a message pops up saying "attempting to read media". Once I reinsert the disk it also no longer says "Open Tray" but instead a "Play DVD" message. When you try to play it however, the screen goes black then returns to the homepage.
Anyways, do you think if I took the laser module to a computer repair place they would be able to get a new one in?

oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
Yeah, I'm gonna try get a replacement laser. Something interesting though, I decided to put the resistance up, you know just to try everything, and now the DVD plays longer and just before it stops playing, the movie starts to stutter until it comes to a complete stop which then a message pops up saying "attempting to read media". Once I reinsert the disk it also no longer says "Open Tray" but instead a "Play DVD" message. When you try to play it however, the screen goes black then returns to the homepage.
Anyways, do you think if I took the laser module to a computer repair place they would be able to get a new one in?
Ehhhh, I wouldn't be sure but I don't think so. You need specific laser and it might not be generic. You should see if the model is printed on it and then ask them.

S

SP7000

Reaction score
Sin$
Alright, will do. Thanks for all your assistance. Sorry if this sounds stupid but does ebay or amazon have shipping available to New Zealand?

S

SP7000

Reaction score
Sin$
Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
oblivioncth

oblivioncth

Mr. Cloth
Mr. Nice Guy MotM TotM
Reaction score
Sin$
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Top Bottom
Login
Register