• Thread starter SpAnKyX34
  • Start date
  • Views 5,985
S

SpAnKyX34

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
This is my first build, it is on a budget. I am looking to make a good running pc for average gaming. Nothing major like bf3 or call of duty. Just games like minecraft. I'm not sure about my video card. Should I get a little bit better of one to run minecraft smoothly? All advice is much appreciated! Here is my newegg wishlist link : http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=26274288

Visual Studio

XeMen Demon

The Original Shiba Inu
Odysseus' Summit Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$
This is my first build, it is on a budget. I am looking to make a good running pc for average gaming. Nothing major like bf3 or call of duty. Just games like minecraft. I'm not sure about my video card. Should I get a little bit better of one to run minecraft smoothly? All advise is much appreciated! Here is my newegg wishlist link : http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=26274288
Minecraft is hard on alot of hardware and TBH it is harder on my hardware than MW3 and BF3.

Visual Studio

XeMen Demon

The Original Shiba Inu
Odysseus' Summit Nevar gon' happen in your lifetime Programmer
Reaction score
Sin$
So do you think what I have is good enough or what is your opinion?
Everything seems to be a very good choice but you could lower the price by getting 8GB of RAM because you will never use 16 GB and maybe getting a AM3 board instead of an AM3+ because your processor is an AM3 not an AM3+ unless you are looking for future compatibility?

modz4bud

modz4bud

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
This is my first build, it is on a budget. I am looking to make a good running pc for average gaming. Nothing major like bf3 or call of duty. Just games like minecraft. I'm not sure about my video card. Should I get a little bit better of one to run minecraft smoothly? All advice is much appreciated! Here is my newegg wishlist link : http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=26274288

Honestly, with the state that AMD CPUs are in right now, I would say go Intel. I'm not biased towards either even though I own an Intel processor, but the data speaks for itself. The Intel counterparts of the AMDs perform significantly better in and out of gaming. Just because it has quad core slapped on it doesn't make it faster then something like an i3-2120, which is technically speaking, only a dual core. I say "technically speaking" because the i3-2120 is actually a dual core processor but it possesses 2 physical cores and 2 logical cores, therefore it acts as a quad core processor only without the 2 extra physical cores that a "quad core" processor would have.

If you don't want to wait for the new Ivy Bridge processors to come out, or the new z77 chipset motherboards either, and you want to keep this build to a reasonable budget, I say go with the Intel i3-2120 and something like a H61 or P67 motherboard. If you wanted to spend extra money(not even that much more to be honest), go with the i5-2500k.

I also agree with XeMen on the 16GB of memory. It's overkill. You'll never need that much. 8GB will do more then fine for any applications you might use, even further down the road if you get in to video editing, rendering, photoshop, etc...

The Radeon 6670 is pretty outdated right now, and for a little extra money you can get a really great GPU with a much faster architecture. I would take a look at the 6850, and if you want to spend a little more money, the 6870.

Also, I just thought you should know that your hard drive is a "Bare Drive". I'm not sure if you know what that means, but it means that your hard drive comes with nothing else besides the hard drive. No SATA cable, no power cable extenders, CDs, manuals, etc.. It's just the hard drive. I'm not sure if you have a spare SATA cable laying around, but my guess would be that you don't since you came here asking for help on your first computer build. You should get a regular hard drive purchase, not the "Bare Drive" one.

S

SpAnKyX34

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
@XeMen Demon:
I took your advice and have downgraded to 8gb of ram. I am looking at this mobo because a friend recommended it to me because of the sata 6 gb/s and the 2 usb 3 ports. Oh, and because I would like the UEFI bios :wink:. But I am keeping forward compatibility in mind because you never know!

@RifleSkillz:
I am going to stick with my processor but I definitely took your information into consideration and appreciate it! As far as my GPU, I have the Radeon 6770 listed, but I am going to look into the 6850 as you have stated. And for the hard drive, sadly to say I did not know what that meant and I am truly grateful that you spelled it out for me! I am happy that I didn't go ahead and purchase it or I would have been a little upset when it came time to build!

What do you guys think of this RAM? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226221

modz4bud

modz4bud

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
@XeMen Demon:
I took your advice and have downgraded to 8gb of ram. I am looking at this mobo because a friend recommended it to me because of the sata 6 gb/s and the 2 usb 3 ports. Oh, and because I would like the UEFI bios :wink:. But I am keeping forward compatibility in mind because you never know!

@RifleSkillz:
I am going to stick with my processor but I definitely took your information into consideration and appreciate it! As far as my GPU, I have the Radeon 6770 listed, but I am going to look into the 6850 as you have stated. And for the hard drive, sadly to say I did not know what that meant and I am truly grateful that you spelled it out for me! I am happy that I didn't go ahead and purchase it or I would have been a little upset when it came time to build!

What do you guys think of this RAM? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226221

That memory is compatible with your computer so yeah, looks good. The only thing different about is basically its heatsink. Something you could probably find on any other gaming type memory. If you think it looks cool and it fits your budget, sure, go for it.

Top Bottom
Login
Register