Help With Capture Card Selection/Use

Discussion in 'Halo 3 & Halo 3: ODST' started by crazymonky, Dec 15, 2008 with 8 replies and 514 views.

1. crazymonky

crazymonky Newbie

Ratings:
    Hey all!!

Before i start let me say that im not sure if i placed this in the correct forum, please understand i am a noob, and move this if necessary.

OK
    I was looking to buy a capture card for my XBOX 360 so i could record my halo 3 videos, and try my hand at making a montage.

NOTE: i know absolutely nothing about how to do this so any help no matter how nooby you think it is (eg. turn on xbox, turn on tv, etc.) it will help me out and i will greatly appreciate it.

So, as i was saying, i wanted to make a montage but i have several problems:

1. I dont know what i need to buy or use
    2. I dont have too much money to throw around (around 50$)
    3. I live in Canada (so not as much selection for products etc.)
    4. The computer i intend to connect this to is a laptop (so no PCI slots and stuff)
    5. I dont even know what im talking about!!! (LOL)

So any help would be greatly appreciated and i thank anyone who helps out in advance. :thumbup:

2. samlshaffer

samlshaffer Getting There

Ratings:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVH1_9HhX9w&feature=channel_page]YouTube - How to Record from your Video Game System[/ame]

I have the same exact card works really well.
    I recommend buying this if you don't really know much about capt cards.
    Comes with easy to use software and a editor, but I recommend using Sony Vegas for video editing.

• Like Like x 2
  3. OP
    crazymonky

crazymonky Newbie

Ratings:
    Thanks for that but does this all work with a HDMI connection? i kept seeing s-video and got a little confused.

4. B-rad

B-rad Press On

Ratings:
    The best capture card I would reccomend is a Dazzle. Considering your budget, this is the best one to buy.

[Click here to view the link]

Also, it will work with your labtop through the USB cord. As you can see in the picture, you also have the "S-video" cord slot which is the yellow one, and the red and white one as well. These are the cords that plug into your TV.

If you want to fork over a little more you can upgrade to any one of these, but that one should work fine.

[Click here to view the link]

5. OP
    crazymonky

crazymonky Newbie

Ratings:
    Thanks but i am a little confused as to how this part works:

xbox connected to tv with HDMI cable
    now i would connect the tv to the dazzle with a s-video??
    is that how that works? does it stay in hd? will it even work?

lol lots of questions but i appreciate the help

6. littledevall

littledevall Newbie

Ratings:
    go to wall mart and buy tree sets of this [Click here to view the link] i think you can figure it out from there, those parts shouldnt cost you more than 10 dollars, but does the same job that pic above shows you, just in an ezier way

7. OwnedTom

OwnedTom Contributor

Ratings:
    no

xbox to tv (HD)
    Xbox to Capture Card (SD)
    Capture Card to PC

Easy!

btw remember the Thanks Button

8. Twis7eD

Twis7eD Banned

Ratings:
    Its funny how you recommend sony vegas for editing when you're talking to someone that you say you should get this capture card if you dont know much about capture cards. Im asuming someone like that wouldnt have a clue on how to use sony vegas. Sony vegas would be so complicated for begginner users. I recommend windows movie maker for starting off because its really easy even if it isnt that good of editing software.

9. samlshaffer

samlshaffer Getting There

Ratings:
    This is the truth.