What's new

Solved HELP/QUESTON: Will replacing the laser in my modded drive still read copied games?

Mac3lite

Mac3lite

Reaction score
Sin$
My XBOX360 was modded to read copied dvd's and it worked fine for quite a while....but then it started giving me trouble and basically the laser needs to be replaced.
Will replacing just the laser in my drive undo the drive mod ability to read copied games?

I have the Lite-On DG-16D4S (Laser is the 0B22 1657 1675 15XX G2R2)

I'm hoping I can just buy a new laser which costs about $10 so i can play my backups again, if this isn't possible please let me know.

Thanks,
Mac3lite

U

UniGaMeR043

Reaction score
Sin$
My XBOX360 was modded to read copied dvd's and it worked fine for quite a while....but then it started giving me trouble and basically the laser needs to be replaced.
Will replacing just the laser in my drive undo the drive mod ability to read copied games?

I'm hoping I can just buy a new laser which costs about $10 so i can play my backups again, if this isn't possible please let me know.

Thanks,
Mac3lite

It doesnt make a difference you will be able to read and copy games, but it sounds like you may have the open trey error correct.
so the new laser may not fix your problem or like in my case it fixed it for a short time then the drive gave out and wouldnt get close enough to the disk so i had to replace the whole drive, but even if you will have to do that you will be switching the pcb from your current drive to the new one, even this wont mess up your drives firmware to play burnt disk.

Killjoy666

Killjoy666

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$

Thanks,
Mac3lite
Replacing The Laser Lens Will Repair The Console.

Rpidemon

Rpidemon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Try a pot tweak first before buying a new laser it may only be a temporary fix if it works but laser off ebay etc are money for old rope and not always NEW as advertised.

Mac3lite

Mac3lite

Reaction score
Sin$
Try a pot tweak first before buying a new laser it may only be a temporary fix if it works but laser off ebay etc are money for old rope and not always NEW as advertised.

Thanks for reading my post and responding to it; I was already running for quite a while after completing the POT Tweak, but the laser did eventually die completely.
I had bought a cheap xbox360 that was in rough shape but still worked for the specific reason of trying to mod it which to my surprise I was successful in doing so! So I ended up creating quite a collection of games (about 179) all successfully burned and tested that have been sitting in my closet for the past 6 years, so I finally decided to find out about replacing the laser.
*And if I understand correctly - by replacing just the laser it will not effect the MOD at all since it resides on the PCBoard* - The only thing I am a little worried about is over the past 6 years I've been playing some of the digital copies of games that are still on the XBOX and a couple of times I had to connect to the network so it would allow me to download my digital owned games - but I think at one point it wouldn't let me connect unless I updated which I allowed it because I didn't think I'd ever fix the laser and I had planned on buying an XBOX ONE. Regardless things changed and at the moment this 360 is my only system and spending $10 to replace the laser is worth it - If I did end up updating something that nullifies the mod I think the mod itself just needs to be updated again - not sure. Even if I'm unable to play the backups again I'll at least be able to pick up more 360 games to play and not be stuck with only the digital copies I already owned.

My cousin had helped me complete the mod the first time - she had all the tools needed because she did all that kind of stuff plus my drive being a Liteon needed a special tool. Anyways if updating the mod requires any of the special tools again then I'm out of luck this time, but I remember her saying something about updating it if needed and she had given me a USB Thumb Drive with the Key on it - but obviously that USB Drive is long gone.

If anyone knows about this and if my info on replacing the laser not effecting the MOD is incorrect please let me know - Also if I did end up updating the XBOX360 and the MOD is no longer good and needs to be updated as well and you know how could you fill me in or at least point me in the right direction??

Either way I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to read me post and respond - I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond to help me out.

Have a great day Ya'Ll!
-Mac3lite

U

UniGaMeR043

Reaction score
Sin$

Thanks,
Mac3lite

You can order a new laser for about 8 to 10$ on amazon for that model drive
Not sure if this is the correct on it says slim but the one i bought a couple years back to fix a drive said slim aswell.
New - Microsoft Xbox 360 Slim Laser Lens - Liteon DG-16D4S G2R (HOP-150X 15XX...
Now with the drive that i replaced the laser later the drive failed and would no longer get close enough to the disk and after 35$ to replace with a brand new drive.

Top Bottom
Login
Register