help please :)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by wreithy, Nov 10, 2008 with 11 replies and 282 views.

1. wreithy

wreithy Enthusiast

Ratings:
    so heres the problem.

sometimes when i switch my laptop on, my desktop toolbar keeps changing.
    however, it is only ever the quick launch and WMP toolbars, which disables themselves so when i start up i have to reselct the toolbars.

any fixes? its annoying

2. Ibdc

Ibdc Retired Retired

Ratings:
    Do you use Windows Blinds or something like it? That could be one possible problem.

If you open task manager and go to the processes tab and end explorer.exe, then go back over to the applications tab and hit new task and type explorer.exe it should pop back up and be normal. That's just a temporary fix though.

3. OP
    wreithy

wreithy Enthusiast

Ratings:
    nah, im not using windows blinds or anything like that :/

and i can reselect the toolbars again, it just gets on my nerves

4. Michael Allison

Michael Allison Enthusiast

Ratings:
    [Click here to view the link] It's a great free program. I've never heard of or experienced this error, but a lot of things can be caused by registry errors and a huge Explorer cache.

5. B-rad

B-rad Press On

Ratings:
    That won't help him put his toolbars back up for good. All that does is clear your cache and remove unused and temporary internet files.

I wish I could help you on that but I'm not sure how you can keep the toolbars up if every time you restart they're gone.

6. Michael Allison

Ratings:
    Read closer. The new CCleaner can scan your registry to find errors in it. This is the kind of glitch in Windows that has the possibility of being solved by fixing things up in the registry. If he's having errors like this a lot, as well, a bunch of bad registry entries may be the cause. Also, having a cache over one gigabyte can drastically influence system performance, and sometimes cause minor errors, at least from my experience.

7. OP
    wreithy

wreithy Enthusiast

Ratings:
    nope, CCleaner doesnt sort it :/

8. Michael Allison

Ratings:
    When you reselect them, are you selecting them by right clicking and choosing them from the Toolbars menu, or are you doing it by right clicking the task bar and going into properties? If it's the first, try the second.

9. OP
    wreithy

wreithy Enthusiast

Ratings:
    Im right-clicking the bar, then clicking on the toolbars menu and ticking the toolbars i want

but i have tried both those ways^

10. Michael Allison

Ratings:
    Well, with as little information as you have, just do a routine check for some silly malware that might be causing the problem. If it's not that, then how about posting a list of the processes that were running so we can confirm it? I tried searching Google for an answer to your problem, but nothing showed up. If it's not a registry error and not caused by malware, then what the hell?

11. OP
    wreithy

wreithy Enthusiast

Ratings:
    OK, i will do that tonight , and thanks very much for all the help :thumbup:

12. Michael Allison

Ratings:
    No problem, it's help or pet my cat repeatedly while waiting to go out and do something slightly less monotonous. :biggrin: