Help Needed! EMERGENCY!

Discussion in 'PC Support Archive' started by Dot, Jul 19, 2009 with 10 replies and 172 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dot

Dot Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Situation:

1. Turn PC on.
    2. Lights come on, all fans are running at max speed.
    3. PC turns off.
    4. PC turns itself back on.
    5. PC turns itself back off.
    6. etc etc etc.
    My computer (self-built) keeps turning itself on/off for hours and hours and never loads up.

Note: Each time the PC turns on there is no sign on the monitor of load-up activity.

How I am able to get on my PC:

1. Open side door
    2. Turn PC on
    3. PC turns itself off
    4. PC turns itself on
    5. I hold the "dir CMOS" button on my motherboard
    6. An error screen loads up where i press F1 or F2. F1 for setup. F2 to load defaults.
    7. I hit F2
    Note: I tried hitting F1 and loading "Fail-Safe Defaults" but still no luck on its own.

Final outcome:
    This happens every time I shut down my PC and then hours later come back to turn it on.

What do I do?:frown:

Here is a link to my parts, not including my Intel Quad-Core

http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/bui...d-me-comp-setup-1200-budget-3.html#post984512

Please help!

2. x C33J4Y x

x C33J4Y x Enthusiast

Ratings:
    sounds like onboard graphics have gone... thats what happened to me last time i had to get a new m/board.... then it worked fine

3. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Nah, this happens to my PC either when something in the CMOS changes, or I remove the power cord and plug it back in (for example, bringing it to a friend's house for LAN). What I do is when the PC turns back on and fans start running, turn off the power supply (via the switch on the supply), wait 30 seconds, then flip that switch again. If the PC doesn't automatically come back on, then it worked, and you should be able to boot no problem.
    I believe there is also an option in the BIOS to do an automatic restart after failure, disable this and it shouldn't get stuck in that boot cycle anymore.

4. n00bFRAGGER

n00bFRAGGER The Godfather Retired

Ratings:
    It might be a problem with your CPU overheating. Did you apply the right amount of thermal paste correctly?

5. OP
    Dot

Dot Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Didnt work at all.

Mine came with it already applied.

6. TuBbY BuNnY

TuBbY BuNnY Contributor

Ratings:
    Is it making any beeps during POST at all? I just don't like MSI boards, they tend to fubar themselves

Could be overheating since Intel stock coolers blow *** for i7, i7 produces a lot of heat with the on-board memory controller and 130TDP added to it

7. DrastiK

DrastiK Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Sounds like it could also be the power supply if it won't stay on.

8. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    that completely reminds me!

This happened once when I was testing a pair of 9800 GTX video cards, one at a time. The second one I forgot to plug in the 2 6-pin power connectors, and it would result in a boot cycle like what is happening. See if that is the case.

9. OP
    Dot

Dot Premium Premium

Ratings:
    They are definitely plugged in.

You are all giving me great information but I need to know what I should do about it.

10. Haxalot88

Haxalot88 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    that's the thing, we don't know. We have no way of knowing what's the cause, as it could be many things. Right now, we are trying to go over every possibility of what could cause that.

11. OP
    Dot

Dot Premium Premium

Ratings: