What's new

Unsolved Help modding Halo 2

• Thread starter Iwanttrefidy
  • Start date
  • Views 970
I

Iwanttrefidy

Reaction score
I use to mod this game a long time ago and kept my hard drive with all of my .map mods. Recently bought an old white xbox 360 so I could play them again with some friends, but the new maps do not show up when I load halo 2? Does anyone know how to fix this issue? Thank You!

B

boxmodder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What maps aren't showing up? if they are old maps (ie maps on the disc) you need to burn halo 2 on a disc and play them with a modified dvd drive. Campaign maps and maps on the halo 2 disc like coag need to be resigned with the old map signature too in order to be played.

Your new maps might be showing up like turf because if you resigned them with the new maps and fix encryption etc then your xbox will look for the turf.map file on your hard drive because dlc is saved to your hard drive.

When you put your halo 2 disc in the xbox 360 and hit play halo 2 and play splitscreen on old maps or play campaign the game looks for old maps on your xbox's D:\ drive because it is running the map files off the disc. simply putting coagulation.map in your dlc folder in E:\E00064whatever\coagulation.map in your 360 hard drive using transfer kit it will not read moddedcoag.map from E:\ drive. your xbox 360 will read the unmodded coag.map from D:\halo2disc.

There was a tutorial for injecting maps into dlc maps *I THINK*. I'm not sure. but look around and see if you can somehow take a small map like Beavercreek.map and inject it into a larger dlc map like terminal.map so when you load splitscreen and load terminal it actually loads terminal.map but injected into terminal.map is modded coag.map so therefore you might be able to get old maps to load on xbox 360 by injecting them into larger dlc maps saved on your hard drive.

What maps are you trying to mod? What kind of mods? do you have any mod tools? I'm looking for modding programs in this thread: http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/threads/lookin-for-some-clean-files.1472705/

Good luck mate and hit me up anytime peace

I

Iwanttrefidy

Reaction score
I already have some maps modded on my hard drive. it is just when I start up Halo 2 and go to split screen, I go to choose the map I want and there are none of the new maps. But I can go look on my hard drive and it says that they are installed.. So i'm not sure what to do

A

Atlas

Local Rivethead
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
hey are old maps (ie maps on the disc) you need to burn halo 2 on a disc and play them with a modifi
Whenever I wanted to mod a disc map of halo 2, I would just use the .map file of that map (coagulation as an example) and then just swap its ID's with one of the DLC maps. The game would think it is loading a DLC map, but would actually load a modded disc-map
when I start up Halo 2 and go to split screen, I go to choose the map I want and there are none of the new maps. But I can go look on my hard drive and it says that they are installed.. So i'm not sure what
By "new maps," do you mean DLC? Do you still have the profile you used when you used to mod halo 2?

B

boxmodder

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think I figured out his problem. he didn't add his modded maps to mainmenu.map!
the game needs to know that u added extra maps to it. otherwise it wont display them in game. they can be in the right folder and still not show up in game.

I never added any maps to mainmenu.map but I think there are some tutorials on this site for how to do it. You're in a tough situation if you want to add maps to mainmenu.map on a 360 because you need to either

1. burn it and play a modded halo 2 disc using modded dvd drive firmware
or
2.you need to jtag your 360 and rip halo 2 to your hard drive to mod mainmenu.map.

Mainmenu.map is on the disc and therefore you won't be able to add new maps to it on a 360 very easily..

Here's what I did to get mods to show up on my 360:
I just backed up my unmodded maps on my pc and put my modded map in its place on the 360 hdd.
in other words:
1. try just backing up your unmodded dlc maps on your pc,
2. deleting the unmodded map from your xbox 360 hdd,
3. and putting your modded map (resigned and all) back into the spot where the unmodded map was.

Start off trying this technique solely on new maps b/c its easier to get it working on a 360. Then you can talk about getting your old maps to load on your 360 using Atlas's idea.
Also make sure when you resign maps that you select the proper type of resigner for the map. don't resign old maps using resigners set to resign new maps and vice versa.

To clarify my last post which was really hard to read:
Old maps- .map files found on the halo 2 disc (ie all campaign levels and all multiplayer maps that are *not* dlc)
New maps- dlc .map files saved to your xbox's hard drive.

Also consider getting a softmodded original xbox for playing mods.
on an original xbox you could just rip halo 2 to your hdd. loads faster than the disc and u can play modded old maps right off ur hard drive, without the halo 2 disc in the tray! I always used to FTP maps to my xbox b/c its really fast xfer rate.

I don't think you can rip games/ftp on the 360 unless its jtagged/rgh/etc.

Finally, someone remind me if it is possible to actually mod old maps on a non-jtag 360 by "installing" halo 2 to your xbox.
You still have to play with the disc in but at least it will load your old .map files straight from your hdd, allowing you to add maps to mainmenu.map and modding old maps/campaign. good luck!

woohoo bring back halo 2 modding ill fly the warthog u get on the scarab gun turret in the back!

also what the heck are shared.map and singleplayer_shared.map for? do you need to mod those too to add maps?

Top Bottom