• Start date
  • Views 184
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gears Gamer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My little brother sometimes plays xbox all through the night when he has school the next day and my mother wants him to stop but doesn't want to wake up every night to stop him or remove the xbox. I will try to give you as much detail as possible.

My internet connection is shared between the xbox, a PC and a laptop in my room. The xbox is wired to the router and my laptop is wireless. So I can access the router settings from my laptop. The router has its own firewall settings and it says all outbound services are allowed and all inbound connections are blocked, which I don't really understand because there are inbound connections from LIVE right? Not too bothered about that though.

So for both the outbound and inbound services I have the option to block a LAN IP,however it doesn't seem to affect my live connection. And besides the IP changes depending on whether the PC is on or if the xbox was turned on first etc. I will try this again but is there another way.

For example, for both outbound and inbound services it gives me a service to block. I was thinking maybe I should block this option DNS (TCP/UDP). Any other suggestions like could I block the mac address of the xbox somehow? Thanks.

Edit: I understand now why xbox live still works, because of the firmware or something. Microsoft gives a list of routers that automatically allow xbox live.

SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
make your internet mac address locked. and every nite at w.e time you want remove the xbox mac address from the list. when u get home from school .. add it back.

G

Gears Gamer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you need to to this on the router settings because I don't think I am able to do that with my router?

It's ok I figured it out. I haven't tried blocking the LAN IP again, but in theory that method should probably work also. It is not the best solution however as I said the LAN IP of the xbox constantly changes.
Anyway I blocked tcp/udp 3074 outbound. It Let me insert a title 'xbox live' and now I can just block xbox live at the click of a button. thanks anyway.

A

Anouthen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, here's an easier solution for you. Remove the powercord from the Xbox and put it in your room.

MahJaY

MahJaY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anouthen said:
Well, here's an easier solution for you. Remove the powercord from the Xbox and put it in your room.
Best answer ever , just make sure you don have another one.

19XX

19XX

Modder Hardened Veteran Experienced Veteran
Reaction score
Connect through your computer (Bridge connections) and put your firewall on high.

Problem solved.

G

Gears Gamer

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anouthen said:
Already found an even easier one that prevents connection at the click of a button from my own room.

xiNsTiNcTx said:
Connect through your computer (Bridge connections) and put your firewall on high.

Problem solved.
I used to have this setup,it's called ICS, on a different PC. When it was like this I could limit bandwidth to the xbox to whatever I wanted, but I don't want this setup anyway.

I have just added a firewall rule to my router and now I can prevent connection in two clicks. (One to hit the checkbox and one to apply).

ZyGo

ZyGo

Gettin' Keify
VIP
Retired
Forum Addict Platinum Record Frame In Gold
Reaction score
Setup Family settings on the xbox for whatever time you want him off.....

SiK GambleR

SiK GambleR

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
i forgot aout that. the xbox has a family setting that shuts it off at a designated time!

A

Anouthen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, I still like the Power Cord method tho. Then they can't play period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom