What's new

Discussion HDMI VS Component 1080i

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brychu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I've been thinking about getting a hauppauge pvr to do some videos but am kinda turned off about the whole playing with component cables. Has anyone played with both at 1080i resolution and can comment on the difference between quality of the two?

Again, I'm not looking for the differences between the technical aspects, just comments on the difference between quality from personal experience.

Thanks!

I

i3uu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bryanchurch said:
Hey guys I've been thinking about getting a hauppauge pvr to do some videos but am kinda turned off about the whole playing with component cables. Has anyone played with both at 1080i resolution and can comment on the difference between quality of the two?

Again, I'm not looking for the differences between the technical aspects, just comments on the difference between quality from personal experience.

Thanks!

If you want HDMI, use a blackmagic. It's internal, cheaper, and will get you better quality.

M

moeiscool

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i3uu said:
If you want HDMI, use a blackmagic. It's internal, cheaper, and will get you better quality.
this

7s Pro Gfx

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bryanchurch said:

Thanks!

I used to use component cables, but I HDMI cable are much sharper and better quality, so I would go for the HDMI cable. :thumbup:

BlackMagic Intensity Pro (about 150) are good use these with it HIGH SPEED PLATINUM HDMI CABLE

N

NE2D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bryanchurch said:

Thanks!

The quality difference between 1080i and 1080p is there though it's minimal, especially when you're uploading to YouTube. You need to figure how big of a screen would really watch a YouTube video? Rarely do people have screens larger than 23" for their computers. 1080p on anything smaller than 32" carries such a minute difference, in my opinion. You also need to keep in mind output size, HD video will carry a much higher filesize. I don't know if YouTube caps upload size, but I can tell you your upload time will be substantially longer also.

To answer your question - MY opinion is that you won't need to capture anything higher than 1080i. 1080p will always be better but generally always carries many downsides, including price and filesize.

T

The Shockmaster

Reaction score
On my Samsung, I can tell the difference between 1080i/component vs. 1080p/HDMI.

However, switching to 720p/component looks almost exactly the same as 1080p/HDMI. This is on a 52" LCD.

T

TheSheep

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Component is capable of full 1080P, it just doesn't support HDCP, which is only used for movie copy protection

B

baZooka bob120

Reaction score
HDMI by far but the cable is 50 bucks

most perferred

N

NE2D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Shockmaster said:
On my Samsung, I can tell the difference between 1080i/component vs. 1080p/HDMI.

However, switching to 720p/component looks almost exactly the same as 1080p/HDMI. This is on a 52" LCD.

720p vs 1080p is minimal though commonly noticeable in larger sets. 52" should present a difference though it's very dependant on the viewer.

TheSheep said:
Component is capable of full 1080P, it just doesn't support HDCP, which is only used for movie copy protection

That is incorrect, component is only capable of interlace scanning not progressive scanning. You can get 480i, 720i, 1080i from component depending on your TV's resolution whereas you can get 720p or 1080p from HDMI, again based on your TV's resolution.

Progressive scan. It means the lines that make up the picture are painted in order from the top to the bottom of the screen (1, 2, 3, 4 . . .)

Interlaced scanning is where the odd numbered lines are done first and then the even numbered ones (1, 3, 5, 9 ... 2, 4, 6, 8 ...)

P

Prizes

Enthusiast
Reaction score
baZooka bob120 said:
HDMI by far but the cable is 50 bucks

most perferred

you can get an hdmi cable for 20 bucks

And i would get the black magic intensity pro it is cheaper internal better looking and less clutter

E

EclipseModz

VIP
VIP
Retired
Reaction score
i3uu said:
They are the same price and the blackmagic requires either
A) A lot of memory for uncompressed HD footage
or
B) A very good processor to compress the footage while saving it.

S

scopen4

Contributor
Reaction score
NE2D said:
720p vs 1080p is minimal though commonly noticeable in larger sets. 52" should present a difference though it's very dependant on the viewer.

That is incorrect, component is only capable of interlace scanning not progressive scanning. You can get 480i, 720i, 1080i from component depending on your TV's resolution whereas you can get 720p or 1080p from HDMI, again based on your TV's resolution.

Progressive scan. It means the lines that make up the picture are painted in order from the top to the bottom of the screen (1, 2, 3, 4 . . .)

Interlaced scanning is where the odd numbered lines are done first and then the even numbered ones (1, 3, 5, 9 ... 2, 4, 6, 8 ...)

You can pull 720p out of component.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom