What's new

Discussion HDMI VS Component 1080i

B

Brychu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Hey guys I've been thinking about getting a hauppauge pvr to do some videos but am kinda turned off about the whole playing with component cables. Has anyone played with both at 1080i resolution and can comment on the difference between quality of the two?

Again, I'm not looking for the differences between the technical aspects, just comments on the difference between quality from personal experience.

Thanks!

PrfctionIsFlawd

PrfctionIsFlawd

Getting There
Reaction score
Sin$
This is posted in the wrong section. This is for MW2 discussion.

Woodi

Woodi

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
honestly when i play i could care less about quality...but i dont think its that different.

IceCreamKohn

IceCreamKohn

Enthusiast
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
The main difference that ive noticed about it is that with the HDMI cord the text is finer. But that is pretty much the major difference. I had HDMI but then i switched to component when i got my dazzle. The graphics are pretty much the same.

U

uneedhelp

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
HDMI basically guarantees better motion for the picture... when you're standing still hdmi and 1080i have no difference. But in motion HDMI is a lot more fluid. That's why, if I didn't have HDMI, i'd play on 720p.

I

ii aM Coins

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
Not much of any difference. I would be surprised if you hardly even noticed it.

Blizzard

Blizzard

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
No difference what so ever as far as i am concerned.. i was using hdmi but port broke on xbox so had to use component and cant tell difference still own ppl left right and centre :smile:

J

jesse550

Reaction score
Sin$
My old xbox didn't have an HDMI port so I used component and my TV supports 1080p trough component. I also tried VGA and my new xbox has HDMI. I can honestly say that the colors in HDMI look so much nicer, although not nearly as great as pc graphics, HDMI has noticeably better quality. Either that or the older xbox just sucked compared to the newer ones.

B

brude591

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
just text and black levels look better on hdmi. depending on what framerate your tv runs at hdmi is better with motion also.

Amuze

Amuze

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
I Say HDMI Only Looks Better If You Watch HD Movies On Your Xbox, Gaming Wise They Both Look Very Similar. :thumbup:

vvSTRIDEvv

vvSTRIDEvv

Retired
Retired
Reaction score
Sin$
Gaming wise..they both suck. Play on HDMI / Componant for a few weeks, then switch to VGA, notice the massive difference in delay time? The HDMI is always just a hair behind. I can run either of the three, but I stick with the VGA because it is extremely fast. Sure it doesn't look as shiny, but I still get 1920x1080 widescreen. Don't argue with me until you actually try it, I assure you I have done plenty of my own research.

Amuze

Amuze

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
vvSTRIDEvv said:
Gaming wise..they both suck. Play on HDMI / Componant for a few weeks, then switch to VGA, notice the massive difference in delay time? The HDMI is always just a hair behind. I can run either of the three, but I stick with the VGA because it is extremely fast. Sure it doesn't look as shiny, but I still get 1920x1080 widescreen. Don't argue with me until you actually try it, I assure you I have done plenty of my own research.

I Agree I Use VGA With My Dazzle. Then When I Switch Back To My Component It Does Feel Like Theres Is A Delay Due To The HQ Picture. :thumbup:

C

Chrisrokc

Reaction score
Sin$
HDMI will have the sharper look over the component cable. However, you might not be able to see the difference. Depends on the TV.

NE2D

NE2D

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sin$
brude591 said:
just text and black levels look better on hdmi. depending on what framerate your tv runs at hdmi is better with motion also.

Black levels are not determined by hdmi/component/composite but rather by the TV itself.

uneedhelp said:
HDMI basically guarantees better motion for the picture... when you're standing still hdmi and 1080i have no difference. But in motion HDMI is a lot more fluid. That's why, if I didn't have HDMI, i'd play on 720p.

The blurred picture you're talking about comes from the refresh rate of the TV. 60hz, 120hz, 240hz and soon 480hz determine how quickly the picture refreshes giving a smoother transition. Commonly rates above 60hz are meant for fast paced movie scenes and sporting events. Higher refresh will NOT change a video game.

Top Bottom
Login
Register