What's new

Unsolved HDD replacement trouble. 33% applying update (71% total), then E102

T

Talix

Reaction score
Hey guys

I’ve been trying to fix the Xbox one belonging to the kids of one of my mates. They got the machine from some family, but after performing a system update they started getting consistent E201 and E202 errors. On this screen it states that the firmware is version:

“RS3_release_xbox_dev_1802.180131-1450”.

I removed the HDD from the Xbox and found that the hard drive was failing, crystaldiskinfo reporting massive amounts of reallocated and pending sectors, a definite BAD drive.

I bought a new 500gb drive, replacing the WD blue in the machine with a WD black and attempted to format it using a SATA-to-USB dock. I followed this YouTube video:
At first I tried using xboxonehdd-master-6.1 for Windows, but for some reason it refused to work - Whenever the script called the CALC function (to calculate partition sizes and GUIDS I could see from the script), instead of calculating what it needed, Administrator CMD would simply open five instances of the windows calculator and state “MISSING OPERATOR” in the terminal window... The script would continue and state that it was “successful” but the drive was still not partitioned so it obviously didn’t work. I had the same problem using Powershell (also as administrator of course) in both windows 10 and 7.

I then installed dual boot Ubuntu on my other laptop so that I could sit with Windows, Linux and the Xbox side by side. With Ubuntu installed I successfully formatted the new drive using the xboxonehdd-master-6.1 for Linux. It took a three tries since on the first two, one of the partitions hadn’t been formatted correctly and had an “UNKNOWN” file system. When I worked I also confirmed that the GUIDS matched the values in the xboxonehdd-master readme.txt file. With the the working drive I then powered down the Ubuntu laptop, moved the USB dock to the windows 10 laptop and followed the YouTube video linked above:

I downloaded OSU1 and moved the entire $Systemupdate directory to a 16gb NTFS formatted USB drive named XBOX. I then created the A and B folders on the new HDD’s System Update partition and copied all files from the $Systemupdate folder on the USB to both the A and B folders on the drive, except for the updater.XXXX file. I moved that to the root of the partition as directed. I also downloaded the “bootanim” file and put that in both folders as directed in the video.

I then reinstalled the newly formatted and prepared HDD in the xbox, plugged in the USB with OSU1 into the port on the left hand side, next to the sync button, plugged in power, held sync+eject, tapped the power button and continued holding sync and eject until I heard the fourth “startup beep” and the “preparing system” screen came up on my screen. YAY!

The machine loaded all the way though “Installing Update”, “Verifying Update”, then restarted and began “Applying Update”. It got all the way to 33% (71% total completion) before getting stuck. It stayed on 33/71% for a couple of minutes and then threw E102... restarting the machine ended up at the same screen, starting at 33/71% and being stuck again. E102 happened again after some minutes...

I then tried reloading OSU1 onto the USB stick, went through the “hold sync+eject” the restart the procedure. Same result... :frown:

This time I chose “Troubleshoot” on the error screen and then restored the machine to factory default (Clear All). Still E102. I also tried selecting “Offline USB Update”, but I think that is the same as the hold sync+eject procedure and that too ended at the same spot 33% Applying Update, 71% total completion and then threw E102.

That is the extend of my work so far...

A few things I still have to try is as follows:

1) Reformatting the drive and, instead of following the video (all OSU1 files in both folders A and B), then to follow he instructions from xboxonehdd-master readme.txt that directs to only copy a few of the files from OSU1 and not use the USB at all.

2) Perhaps try OSU2, or the even older USUDT1, 2 or 3? I don’t know how any of these files are different, except that the OSUDT files are quite a bit older (2016?). There was a guy who had some success using the OSUDT2 files on his HDD but OSUDT3 on his USB... I don’t know if it’s even applicable to my firmware version (posted earlier in post).

C

chrise86

Reaction score
Did you manage to get anywhere with this? I'm facing the same issue :frown:

T

Talix

Reaction score
Did you manage to get anywhere with this? I'm facing the same issue :frown:
Yes, yes I did :smile:

I found the Youtube channel of the guy who created both the scripts and followed his instruction video TO THE LETTER.

Now, I can't post a link since I don't have enough posts yet, but if you navigate to youtube and replace the part of the address with "watch?v=hbLumDzeoJ8" you should get it.

The main differences between his way of doing it and the way that always failed for me are:
1) He does not put ANY of the OSU1 files onto the Update Partition of the HDD. No need to touch it.
2) He does not use the hold SYNC-EJECT while powering on method.

After installing the newly partitioned HDD he just boots the xbox normally (OSU1 USB not even inserted), waits for the error code, goes to "Troubleshoot", inserts the USB and then restores from USB. This worked for me the very first time I tried!

Up until then, every time I tried updating as described in the first post, the update interface would be low resolution and blurry, it was a bit difficult to read text on screen. Finally it would fail at 71% total. As soon as I used his method I got a clear, sharp update screen in full HD. If you see that, I think you're golden.

One last note... It seems like the script can sometimes fail, causing one or more of the partitions to become unreadable, despite it having the right values shown. So, after reformatting the drive, setting the GUID values and all that, confirm that all the partitions show up correctly in DISKS (default ubuntu application) and that none of them are "Unknown". Also make sure that you remove the HDD safely by using the "Unmount" or shutting down the machine. I made sure that everything was OK by also mounting it to a windows pc and verifying that all partitions showed up, before installing it in my xbox.

If any of them are Unknown, or if windows asks to format one of them, the script has failed. Just go through the process again, it'll work :smile:

It was such a relief for me when it worked after many, many hours of working on my mates xbox. I'd be so pleased if my research could benefit others as well - Let me know how you go.

Last edited:
B

Beardyman

Lifetime Premium
Lifetime
Reaction score
I've been having this problem. Mine got stuck at 50% and then completely gave up on me. I've had to send mine off to be repaired, so it's a good thing my console is still in warranty.

Top Bottom