HDD mods

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Modding' started by stevo9871, Dec 5, 2008 with 24 replies and 1,177 views.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevo9871

stevo9871 Getting There

Ratings:
    so does anybody have any idea of how to mod the data files that the installed games are in?

2. mojobojo

mojobojo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    you really need to use the search function.

3. DJ Shepherd

DJ Shepherd Banned

Ratings:
    ~~~~HDD Games Info~~~~
    Basically, we know how to fix the security on HDD installed or downloaded games, the problem is, if downloaded (like Xbox originals), it is a LIVE file which only Microsoft has the private key for resigning LIVE files. But if it is a HDD installed game, it seems that the game can only work if the KV is the one of your Xbox's, which means we cannot resign them, thus, no game modification.
    ~~~~~~~~

4. OP
    stevo9871

stevo9871 Getting There

Ratings:
    i mean like the one game is split inot like 30-50 diffrent 175Mb files so how would you even begin to mod it?

thanks for the help. not

5. unknown v2

unknown v2 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    Well besides completely ignoring DJ's post, you can't right now.

That should be simple enough.

6. OP
    stevo9871

stevo9871 Getting There

Ratings:
    lol yea thats prety easy to understand but, is anyone working on this or what?:?

7. DJ Shepherd

DJ Shepherd Banned

Ratings:
    stevo listen CAREFULLY
    YOU CANT
    ITS IMPOSSIBLE
    KV LOCKED TO CONSOLE
    CANT RESIGN
    get the hint? no ones working on anything cause we cant do anything

8. ddxcb

ddxcb Contributor

Ratings:
    Wat about u make a mod disk of sumthing install it and use the actual retail disk to play it :wink:

9. unknown v2

unknown v2 VIP VIP

Ratings:
    That doesn't make sense. Use proper grammar so we can understand it.

10. OP
    stevo9871

stevo9871 Getting There

Ratings:
    not if you sign it with your own keyvault

idk that might work

11. unknown v2

unknown v2 VIP VIP

Ratings:

I'm sure everybody has their 360's KeyVault. Plus, so far its only a theory.

12. Head Tax

Head Tax Premium Premium

Ratings:
    So the Keyvault for the game has to match the one for your Xbox, or it does match the one for your Xbox and most people can't extract their keyvault?

If it's the second one does that mean people with the tools and time to extract their keyvault could effectively mod any aspect of the game that is contained on the disc container (I think it's CON but I'm not sure) but not the LIVE container.

I realize a lot of what I just said is patchy but it's hard to get the full picture of how it all works just from reading the Halo 3 modding section.

13. DJ Shepherd

DJ Shepherd Banned

Ratings:
    i honestly dont know what you are asking
    the keyvault used to resign the file has to be the one xbox it was installed on
    theoretically, you could mod SOME things, but everything still applies with file security, as in RSA signatures and such, so it doesnt make a difference
    plus, if they had an exploitable xbox, i seriously doubt the NXE would be on there, thus not having the HDD game option, not only that, the potential they have with one of those xboxes so much more, that concept would be pointless

14. Head Tax

Head Tax Premium Premium

Ratings:
    So you could mod the game if you had the keyvault to your 360 but you can't get the keyvault if you have the NXE therefore you can't install games.

I hope I've got this right.

One more question, if you get you extract your keyvault on an un-updated, exploitable 360 would you be able to then update it and mod it using the keyvault you extracted before you updated it?

15. DJ Shepherd

DJ Shepherd Banned

Ratings:
    of course, but then you would lose the exploit which is way more valuable than anything, plus, you still couldnt mod the game, there are RSA security checks on files and stuff

16. Head Tax

Head Tax Premium Premium

Ratings:
    I'm just curious what could you do with the exploit that is better than modding because from looking at superaisons recently 'released' app he only exploited it so people could mod Halo 3.

17. DJ Shepherd

DJ Shepherd Banned

Ratings:
    wtf? uhm... you mean he restricted it to only resign halo files?...

an "exploit" is a glitch in the system that allows a hole to be able to do things that were not intended, as in running Linux on the Xbox 360, that would allow you to run unsigned code, that is the exploit im talking about

18. Head Tax

Head Tax Premium Premium

Ratings:
    Oh right, I thought an exploitable Xbox was one which you could extract the keyvault from. My bad.

19. DJ Shepherd

DJ Shepherd Banned

Ratings:
    it is, it uses the exploit to get into the system to dump everything

20. mojobojo

mojobojo Enthusiast

Ratings:
    I think that RSA encryptions are not on all games.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.