HDD Failure?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware & Builds' started by mrwickedd, Dec 6, 2008 with 2 replies and 135 views.

1. mrwickedd

mrwickedd Newbie

Ratings:
    i need a little bit of help with this, as i dont know what to do atm. I had an external 500Gb HDD and all was good until it fell on its side twice. At first it was still working , slowly when i accessed some folders on it, and i tried moving stuff to another hdd before it completely died but my computer doesnt detect it anymore.

When i plug it in, the power comes on fine, and i hear the sound it makes when you plugg it into the computer, but it doesnt appear no where. is there anything i could do to save it? should i go to best buys and see if they could recover my stuff on it?

2. JoeMal

JoeMal Retired Retired

Ratings:
    If your drive has been dropped, and it's been acting up since, there's a good chance it's on its last leg

You can take the drive out and connect it to your machine as a SLAVE, but it would involve getting into your PC and taking apart your external drive...you may not be down for doing that. Geek Squad may do that for you, I'm not sure...but if they did it would probably be expensive. Not saying you shouldn't do it, just an FYI; data recovery is pricey

3. OP
    mrwickedd

mrwickedd Newbie

Ratings:
    yeah i wouldnt mind doing that, i was checking out some out the prices for recovery n that **** is expensive. i'll give it a try when i get home later. thnx for the help

i tried taking apart the external drive, but theres no way i can hook it up to my pc how normal hdd's do...any ideas?