Question Have I just screwed myself?

• Thread starter jessiuniverse
  • Start date
  • Views 424
jessiuniverse

jessiuniverse

Reaction score
Sin$
Just bought a 60gb ps3, factory firmware. stuck in a game disc, asks for an update. me thinking this mean't updating the firmware of the ps3, after doing so, I stick in disc again asks for update, then it hits me. It's the game that needs updating! I updated the damn firmware like an idiot. What have I lost, functionality wise? Did I mess up the "magic" around having a 60gb model? or was updating the firmware not a problem? very frustrated with myself...

xInitial

xInitial

b0ss
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
Just bought a 60gb ps3, factory firmware. stuck in a game disc, asks for an update. me thinking this mean't updating the firmware of the ps3, after doing so, I stick in disc again asks for update, then it hits me. It's the game that needs updating! I updated the damn firmware like an idiot. What have I lost, functionality wise? Did I mess up the "magic" around having a 60gb model? or was updating the firmware not a problem? very frustrated with myself...
"factory firmware" ? unless they literally never updated it, you lost otherOS, which just allowed you to install another firmware on your ps3. the main magic of the OG model is the ps2 compat imo, and no, updating does not cause you to lose that functionality. If you truly want to keep that magic, ps3xploit works on the newest firmare, and I am sure no game will cause you to go all the way to 4.84. It is a quick process, but please read up and do a lot of research before doing it. I have a couple 60gb launch models and its a love hate relationship, they get ylod the most out of all the phat models.

jessiuniverse

jessiuniverse

Reaction score
Sin$
"factory firmware" ? unless they literally never updated it, you lost otherOS, which just allowed you to install another firmware on your ps3. the main magic of the OG model is the ps2 compat imo, and no, updating does not cause you to lose that functionality. If you truly want to keep that magic, ps3xploit works on the newest firmare, and I am sure no game will cause you to go all the way to 4.84. It is a quick process, but please read up and do a lot of research before doing it. I have a couple 60gb launch models and its a love hate relationship, they get ylod the most out of all the phat models.

I'm not fussed on the other os stuff, I bought the console for the backwards compatibility. the firmware was 2.76.

xInitial

xInitial

b0ss
Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
Sin$
I'm not fussed on the other os stuff, I bought the console for the backwards compatibility. the firmware was 2.76.
oh ! the backwards compat is actually an extra chip on the board that none of the new ones have, so you won't be losing that with any updates. but what are you at now ? It is possible to downgrade if need be, but no real use to if you just got it for backwards compat

jessiuniverse

jessiuniverse

Reaction score
Sin$
oh ! the backwards compat is actually an extra chip on the board that none of the new ones have, so you won't be losing that with any updates. but what are you at now ? It is possible to downgrade if need be, but no real use to if you just got it for backwards compat

I was just worrying that I lost anything useful or special with it being such an old firmware. In a sense, I hoped I hadn't ruined the console by updating to latest firmware. I don't care about modding or any sort of hacking lol

Top Bottom
Login
Register