What's new

Has anyone figured out how to decrypt or know what .xvd files are?

• Thread starter FSDADFSDFSFDS
  • Start date
  • Views 7,577
F

FSDADFSDFSFDS

Reaction score
title
For those not in the know, most of the xbox one system files have the .xvd file extension.

S

Sketch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, we know what they are. Yes, it's possible to decrypt with keys. However, those keys are hidden away within the security processor.

Here's a little bit from write up I've been working on:

These operations are stored in an Xbox Virtual Disk (XVD) with a small bootloader, currently assumed based on previous data dumps, that contains the kernel, HAL and other important system files. These get stored in the
User Data section of each.

• host.xvd | ExtHost.xvd
• System.xvd
• era.xvd

Once System is booted; the following are mounted and assigned to these drive letters:

\\.\C:\ -> System.xvd
\\.\J:\ -> SystemTools.xvd (dev-mode only)
\\.\L:\ -> en-%s (languages)
\\.\M:\ -> SystemMisc.xvd
\\.\N:\ -> ?
\\.\P:\ -> Page file
\\.\S:\ -> Settings.xvd | Settings-devkit.xvd
\\.\T:\ -> Temp.xvd (or whatever)
\\.\U:\ -> user.xvd / user-devkit.xvd
\\.\W:\ -> Window's Error Reporting (WER)
\\.\X:\ -> SystemAux.xvd
\\.\Y:\ -> SystemAuxF.xvd

Last edited:
S

schitzotm

Contributor
Reaction score
Can add to that write up.
XVD is a wrapper. The files contained may not all be a virtual disk but the system mounts them as so.
The xvd allows to unmount and mount a different xvd without the need to kill a process.
The ability to use less hardware to obtain more function. This is what microsoft has been working on for years. The ability to get the same experience from a tablet that you would get from a gaming pc.
Microsofts goal was to not build another console but rather build tiers of consoles. (Like pc, low end to high end) with the console running the same hardware and the latest windows operating system this will become reality. This allows game developers to put scales in their game as in lowering frame rate or setting to lowest settings so one can still play new games with people on the bigger better consoles. This also allows cross play. Since we are on windows 10, a port can be made to connect xbl to steam or to any online pc game server.
Now we are straying away from the question.

Take a windows 10 phone. If we break down the flash we will find a similar file structure.
Or pretty much any windows 10 locked to windows store only function. It is slightly different as we are locked to xbox store but basically the same thing.
Xvd is the file structure. Whether it is a vhd we converted or msi or ini xvd is how it is served up.
On many of these xvd files if you remove the wrapper you will see a folder and files.
So xbox calls for system.xvd this is mounted then validated then decompressed and unlocked then system folder is accessed.
Honestly I wouldnt be shocked to see this method used on later tablets.
So if we could edit a process we could call for system.xvd and let the security processor do its thing then instead of run function we get write to usb function we could in fact have the files decrypted by the console itself.
The next feat would be altering those files and getting the console to call that function again but once validated from hdd we would need it to read from the usb. So we would need a way to point the read after decompress and unlock to our usb. So if we could figure out what the call made was that signaled the pass from the secure processor this conversation would be about running mod menus and altering game files instead of what is an xvd file.
What you guys need to be focused on is live view on mmc data. This is where that xvd is decompressing to.
Do stuff on the console then dump the mmc. Do something else then dump the mmc again.
Anyway, there will be users that will argue with me but I am right. Microsoft did a very decent job with this console and many that started out trying to enable mods have decided to go the way of developer instead.
Get unsigned code to run and have microsoft patch it and play cat and mouse, possibly get in legal trouble.
Or take our knowledge and use a free game engine (or low cost) build a game and publish it for free. Offer in game purchases and make millions from those in game purchases and publish the next game. Use microsofts vast amount of free tools and port the game to ios, android, pc, ect and make more millions. And do all of this without fear of legal issues.
History has shown with games if they are free people will actually spent way more money on them if they have in game purchases.
Even if the only thing you get is different clothes on a character or different color on a car.
Its insane 500-1000 dollars spent from the average user vs 65 dollars for the cost of the game. People spend way more when they feel they arent forced to do so.
This is the only reason you get crickets when you ask where are the mods.
Sketch is way further along than he will ever admit to.
If I had to guess I would say the console has already been modded and given up as there is more money to be made in producing content on the console the right way.
Anyway, this is a book when you only asked what xvd was.
Hehe, its xbox virtual disk but it really isnt. Its just how the console calls the functions they mount to be decrypted and decompressed then function ran.

S

Sketch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can add to that write up.
XVD is a wrapper. The files contained may not all be a virtual disk but the system mounts them as so.
The xvd allows to unmount and mount a different xvd without the need to kill a process.
The ability to use less hardware to obtain more function. This is what microsoft has been working on for years. The ability to get the same experience from a tablet that you would get from a gaming pc.
Microsofts goal was to not build another console but rather build tiers of consoles. (Like pc, low end to high end) with the console running the same hardware and the latest windows operating system this will become reality. This allows game developers to put scales in their game as in lowering frame rate or setting to lowest settings so one can still play new games with people on the bigger better consoles. This also allows cross play. Since we are on windows 10, a port can be made to connect xbl to steam or to any online pc game server.
Now we are straying away from the question.

Take a windows 10 phone. If we break down the flash we will find a similar file structure.
Or pretty much any windows 10 locked to windows store only function. It is slightly different as we are locked to xbox store but basically the same thing.
Xvd is the file structure. Whether it is a vhd we converted or msi or ini xvd is how it is served up.
On many of these xvd files if you remove the wrapper you will see a folder and files.
So xbox calls for system.xvd this is mounted then validated then decompressed and unlocked then system folder is accessed.
Honestly I wouldnt be shocked to see this method used on later tablets.
So if we could edit a process we could call for system.xvd and let the security processor do its thing then instead of run function we get write to usb function we could in fact have the files decrypted by the console itself.
The next feat would be altering those files and getting the console to call that function again but once validated from hdd we would need it to read from the usb. So we would need a way to point the read after decompress and unlock to our usb. So if we could figure out what the call made was that signaled the pass from the secure processor this conversation would be about running mod menus and altering game files instead of what is an xvd file.
What you guys need to be focused on is live view on mmc data. This is where that xvd is decompressing to.
Do stuff on the console then dump the mmc. Do something else then dump the mmc again.
Anyway, there will be users that will argue with me but I am right. Microsoft did a very decent job with this console and many that started out trying to enable mods have decided to go the way of developer instead.
Get unsigned code to run and have microsoft patch it and play cat and mouse, possibly get in legal trouble.
Or take our knowledge and use a free game engine (or low cost) build a game and publish it for free. Offer in game purchases and make millions from those in game purchases and publish the next game. Use microsofts vast amount of free tools and port the game to ios, android, pc, ect and make more millions. And do all of this without fear of legal issues.
History has shown with games if they are free people will actually spent way more money on them if they have in game purchases.
Even if the only thing you get is different clothes on a character or different color on a car.
Its insane 500-1000 dollars spent from the average user vs 65 dollars for the cost of the game. People spend way more when they feel they arent forced to do so.
This is the only reason you get crickets when you ask where are the mods.
Sketch is way further along than he will ever admit to.
If I had to guess I would say the console has already been modded and given up as there is more money to be made in producing content on the console the right way.
Anyway, this is a book when you only asked what xvd was.
Hehe, its xbox virtual disk but it really isnt. Its just how the console calls the functions they mount to be decrypted and decompressed then function ran.
I just want to point out that it's just a simple virtual disk, heavily derived from VHD. It's just a simple way to store operation system data. Another thing: reading from eMMC while the console was running didn't actually result in a succesful dump. Which is to be expected. The way I, and others, done it was simply mounting directly within System OS. However, it requires elevated privileges.

I would say that I've done quite extensive research on the console but not far enough to perform the fun stuff. Long way to go.

Top Bottom